"Security Check"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfleuriet

Seems like an understood location of a residence... they later mentioned the address... do they just have a list of "Security Checks" they go by and check on from time to time?

n2mdk

From what you just said, I'm assuming it's a smallish town, they may go and check on residences of people who are away and request the places be checked periodically.

Tommahawk

If it is a police department, then yes some do that. In Pennsylvania the Derry Township Police Department in Hershey does this on a daily basis when people go away. They just come into the station and fill out a request for when they are on vacation. I know this first hand. I used to work there as a dispatcher.....

gryeyes911

And who is "they?" Most law enforcement agencies provide security checks of various locations, and for which they have lists maintained and updated for that purpose. That's one explanation.

It could be a fixed post for a special detail, too.

br0adband

Could be similar in principle to taxi companies and taxi stands, predetermined points where cabs/taxis just sit and wait for calls in certain geographical areas.

"Ok, who's at 4..." <unit calls into Dispatch> "348 at 4" "348 head to <insert general location here> and call me..."

Dispatch calls out to whoever is at taxi stand 4, unit 348 calls in to say he's there, Dispatch tells him to go to the general area mentioned and then 348 will call back into Dispatch to say he's in that area.

I learned a long time ago that taxi companies have incredibly cutthroat attitudes so obviously they listen to each other's wide open communications: when the Dispatcher calls out for a customer they don't give specific addresses or else the competition would send a unit to the same location to beat 'em out of the business. So they dispatch a unit to the general location so he's "in the area" and then Dispatch gives the specific address so that unit can be right on it quick. Of course, that wouldn't stop a truly desperate company from still tagging along, but it seems to take care of the problems that might happen.

I'd guess that "security check" thing could be the same in principle, who knows.

D

DaveNF2G

Security check, special attention, or whatever, in police operations is the same thing. Somebody already gave the correct answer - it is a visual check of a property that the dispatcher can identify from a list of alias or location numbers so people listening in can't figure out what addresses are either temporarily vacant or have malfunctioning alarms.

Why do people have such a hard time accepting an accurate answer and so have to keep on throwing out wild guesses? If you don't know, then keep quiet.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Why do people have such a hard time accepting an accurate answer and so have to keep on throwing out wild guesses?"

For the same reason they don't give the short answer but rather fill a page with technical mumbo jumbo usually as accurate as a shot in the dark.

For the same reason they'll pick the correct answer all apart and tell the poster he's wrong with yet another page of technical gobbldygook.

For the same reason I was about to fill this page with "for the same reasons", some people talk just to hear themselves talk because nobody else will listen. (;->)

sfleuriet

n2mdk said:
From what you just said, I'm assuming it's a smallish town, they may go and check on residences of people who are away and request the places be checked periodically.
Seems like that is exactly what it was. Thanks

kvillered

I know that where I used to be a Police Officer, security checks were done while people were on vacation, buisnesses that had recent break-ins etc. The locations were given a specific Security Check number, so that criminals who had scanners would not know the locations of the vacant houses or businesses.

sfleuriet

Makes sense.. they seem to MOSTLY be doing a pretty good job of hiding the locations, but they did reveal the location yesterday of #43. Happened to be within a stone's throw of my house, a house that has been vacant for as long as I can remember.

So the officers must carry a cheat sheet with them, right?

kvillered

Thats exactly right. We would have a book with all the "SC's" listed and whoever was working that zone got the book for your shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.