Bargin? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2TEX

I was crusing thru the local Craigslist today, and found this http://cnj.craigslist.org/ele/566461703.html
$200.00 dollars seems to be too good to be true. I thnk it will cost more than the $20.00 in the ad to repair. I checked it out, and it is complete with all items originally included, and the box too. I am tempted to go for it, just to open it up and look for anything amiss, before sending it to RS for repair. What do ou think? -John

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Looks like a good deal, but not "to good to be true." I bought a PRO-96 in perfect working condition at a local pawn shop for $199. I would guess it would cost more than $20 to get it fixed, but even after fixing it you would still have a good scanner for cheap.

hoser147

Considering you can get one on ebay for around that money that has no problems, I would look around and see what else is out there. I dont see them selling it really fast at that price and the keyboard problems....................Hoser

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
hoser147 said:
Considering you can get one on ebay for around that money that has no problems, I would look around and see what else is out there. I dont see them selling it really fast at that price and the keyboard problems....................Hoser

I doubt you would get a PRO-96 on ebay for $200. I just did a quick look and they all seem to be $300+. The ones that are less than that still have several days left on their auctions. I put the one I mentioned above on ebay and it sold for $350.

jonny290

this is one of those deals where you'll either get lucky and the fix will be free, or you'll get unlucky and the fix will be expensive.

Given my experience with the terrible, terrible keypads that go on every scanner that leaves RS, i'd say that you can likely fix it cheap. But if it's an encoder chip or multiplexer or something that's shot, it'll be a doorstop.

Flip your coin, if you dare. I jump on deals like these, fixer-uppers are the best deals in the market today.

hoser147

In November and December RS had them at 349 new, and they werent bringing as much as they are now. Glad I didnt sell mine when I got the 600........Another member here bought a 2096 used for under 300........Hoser

commstar

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack has/had a flat-rate repair program for scanners.

Call a couple of your local Rat Shacks and ask them the cost to repair- they have a computerized list. I called two local stores a few months ago when I found a broken 96 locally and one told me $45 plus shipping and other told me $50 shipping included.

Apparently, the stores have to submit the radio directly (probably so the franchisee does not get cut out of the deal$).

I think the RS website had some info on this.

Good luck.

KC2TEX

Scanner arrived today after negotiating a better price ($160.00)! Aside from coming from a smokers home (ugh!) it seems to work fine. The only issue is a small rubber 'grip' on the left side of the case is missing. I have already loaded the scanner up with frequencies and all is well so far... I am just going to use it and see if I can get the keypad to act up as the P.O. has said was happening. It was complete with everything in the box included (box too), and also came with the proper cable to hook up to a computer. Does anyone know if RS sells the case for a handheld scanner? Thanks! -John

Status
Not open for further replies.