XTCSS tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Does anyone really know any information on this new private tone system that I'm now seeing, called XTCSS?

Will many scanners probably not work with it, or will it be based on CTCSS or something? I never seen a system use XTCSS, but I don't know if many eventually will or not.

I know DPL seems to be not extremely popular, I see more systems with CTCSS than I ever do DPL, but maybe in some areas, DPL is more commonly used.

DiGiTaLD

It seems that XTCSS is a combination of CTCSS and audible signalling, combining the two methods to produce a "new" signalling scheme. I would think it would work just fine with a scanner with CTCSS capability provided non-standard CTCSS tones are not used, and you would not be able to take advantage of the audible signalling implemented in XTCSS.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
XTCSS Signalling
Developed by CML, XTCSS is a squelch signalling format for radio systems, using both sub-audio (CTCSS) and in-band (XTC) signalling concurrently.
Many CTCSS channels can be employed in a single RF channel. Within the ‘leisure radio’ environment especially there is always the possiblity that other in range users will use the same, standard sub-audio tone, therefore causing interference and loss of privacy.
The implementation of XTCSS, an in-band tone and sub-audio signalling combination, provides, currently, up to 99 additional private channels within the single RF channel. The use of XTCSS signalling prevents ‘squelch breakthrough’ caused by other common-channel users.

Just to be a snot bagger about it, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND! That was the very first thing that came up, groan. Red, you'll have to ask someone familiar with the radio you have in mind, that's not a general sort of scanner question.

Status
Not open for further replies.