Signals break up when it's windy

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Right now the winds are at 25 to 35 mph where I live with gusts up to 40. And I noticed that my signals on my scanners are kind of breaking up because of the wind. Does this happen because all the things outside are swaying back and forth making the signal this way? Does anyone notice this when it's windy?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes, adverse weather conditions have effect on anything in the line of sight of the incoming signal.

SLWilson

Hmmm?

You didn't say, but, do you have an OUTSIDE antenna?

If you do, it is possible that with the wind, you have a bad coax connection.

If you don't, it is possible that the station you are listening to has a bad connection.

I have several scanners going. We have steady 25 mph wind now with 40 mph gusts. No breaking up on any of my scanners. I'm running a RS 2096 on a outside Scantenna as well as a Uniden BC760....

Steve/KB8FAR

Last edited:

xpawel15x

SLWilson said:
You didn't say, but, do you have an OUTSIDE antenna?

If you do, it is possible that with the wind, you have a bad coax connection.

If you don't, it is possible that the station you are listening to has a bad connection.

I have several scanners goung. We have steady 25 mph wind now with 40 mph gusts. No nreaking up on any of my scanners. I'm running a RS 2096 on a outside Scantenna as well as a Uniden BC760....

Steve/KB8FAR

I don't have an outside antenna, just handheld antennas on my scanners. Thanks.

SLWilson

I'd say...

xpawel15x said:
I don't have an outside antenna, just handheld antennas on my scanners. Thanks.
I'd say chances are, you are fine with your radio.

Tune in one of the weather stations to double-check on their signal. But, I'd say the station you're hearing is TRANSMITTING a problem that you are picking up!

I guess it IS possible that a local transformer from the power company might have an issue in this wind that vould cause you static too...

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
lets not forget a slightly more reasonable explaination other than, "theres a problem." If the transmitting antenna is side mounted on a tower (most are) and the wind is blowing, unless the antenna is secured on both ends, top and bottom (most aren't) the antenna will move. This movement will change the pattern of the antenna, and change the locations of the gains and nulls, this shows at the receiving location as changes in signal strength.

SLWilson

True...

studgeman said:
lets not forget a slightly more reasonable explaination other than, "theres a problem." If the transmitting antenna is side mounted on a tower (most are) and the wind is blowing, unless the antenna is secured on both ends, top and bottom (most aren't) the antenna will move. This movement will change the pattern of the antenna, and change the locations of the gains and nulls, this shows at the receiving location as changes in signal strength.

You're correct. Plus, on some really large (tall) antennas, I've seen the antenna actually HIT the tower in high wind if it isn't captured at the top and their standoff isn't wide enough!

We use the fiberglass holder (shown below) on all of our side mounted tall VHF anntennas to keep them from swaying too bad....Saves on bracket wear and tear and coax damage.

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

Last edited:

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
There are some tower owners that actually require that type of restraint, since it does reduce the load and vibration on the tower. That is a really good practice you use.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Unfortunately none of them can be proven scientifically, they're all suppositions, some right, some wrong, and some just plain weird. There are SO many variables a guess is as good as a mile, my guess is wind blows signals around so you can hear better where the wind is coming from and if the wind is strong enough they blow right past you so the strength varies with the gusts. I've been pondering the question for more than 30 years and have concluded there is no single answer, or to put it another way, the answer is blowing in the wind. (Thank you Bob Dylan.)

Status
Not open for further replies.