scanning question concerning concert In-Ear Monitor frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrittmartin

hi... new to the forum so pardon my noob question.

does anyone know anything about scanning the In-Ear Monitor frequencies that band members use at concerts? is there a way to pick these up while you're in the audience and listen or are these encrypted somehow?

any information or advice would be appreciated.

cheers

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
in-the-clear wideband audio, using the same frequencies as wireless mics, more professional situations will use upper UHF in the TV channels ie. 600MHz. They are a part 15 device, just like anything else.

Sownman

Theres nothing musically interesting to hear. It's just a monitor mix to allow the performer
to hear pretty much what you're hearing because they can't hear the PA system from their position on stage. In a few cases their may also be a click track if performers are using a prerecord of some instruments.

Steve

jbrittmartin

studgeman said:
in-the-clear wideband audio, using the same frequencies as wireless mics, more professional situations will use upper UHF in the TV channels ie. 600MHz. They are a part 15 device, just like anything else.

so they're scannable. excellent. now i just have to figure out what a part 15 device is and what would be a relatively cheap one to get.

jbrittmartin

Sownman said:
Theres nothing musically interesting to hear. It's just a monitor mix to allow the performer
to hear pretty much what you're hearing because they can't hear the PA system from their position on stage. In a few cases their may also be a click track if performers are using a prerecord of some instruments.

Steve

i beg to differ. depending on the band and how much they interest you it can be extremely cool. in my case i really enjoy the Dave Matthews Band. i've been to many many shows and during one show i met someone who had a device just like i'm trying to find. he was a roadie for the band so i thought it might be something special i couldn't get my hands on. he let me put the earbuds in and i could hear all the band members talking back and forth before the show, between songs, during the encore break while they were offstage, and after the show. it really added alot to the performance because as most musicians are they are really funny guys and they talk and have alot of fun up on stage amongst themselves. things the audience never gets to hear. you just get a much better insight on what's going on from the band's perspective...what they're thinking, if they're thinking of changing the set on the fly, if they see some chick flashing them in the 3rd row, etc.

anyway.... all this info is appreciated, please keep it coming if you have more.

bna92

Most low-power unlicensed devices are "part 15." You'll notice the FCC label in computers and cordless phones, something along the lines of "this device must accept all interference and cause none." To receive wireless mic and iem frequencies, you'll need a wideband receiver that has a WFM setting, such as the Uniden BR330T or just about anything from Icom, Yaesu, Alinco, AOR and others.

jbrittmartin

bna92 said:
Most low-power unlicensed devices are "part 15." You'll notice the FCC label in computers and cordless phones, something along the lines of "this device must accept all interference and cause none." To receive wireless mic and iem frequencies, you'll need a wideband receiver that has a WFM setting, such as the Uniden BR330T or just about anything from Icom, Yaesu, Alinco, AOR and others.

very helpful info... thank you very much.

and i should just be able to scan once i'm there to find the iem channels right? is there any way these could be encrypted?

thanks again for the exact kind of scanner i'll need.

jbrittmartin

bna92 said:

i'm looking at a radio shack model of scanner. the Pro-95 and Pro-93 models. as i understand it, these will work fine for my needs. also, a friend of mine told me he knows how to unlock this type of scanner so it will pick up previously factory locked out channels. is this a no-no? is this commonly done? can you do this with other scanner models?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
You can use Don Star's Win93 software (free), and just type in the frequency. Whether or not it will actually receive it is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.