FBI traffic in No Az

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
11/05/08 1645ish 163.8875 Mhz Analog NFM no PL noted off Mingus Mtn, Yavapai County.

Probable FBI dispatching a bank robbery: 'All Agents a confirmed 91 at
Well Fargo" at an address inside a Basha's in Scottsdale

I have also heard dispatcher-side-only LE related traffic on this freq
recently as well; interestingly it was not active during the bank
robberies here during the McCain rally last week.

Also not listed in Radio Reference databases.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
Update 163

Am hearing radio testing on NFM this frequency

"700 testing Williams" with a five count.

CTCSS was present but I wasn't in a postion to log it.

ecps92

Have you searched the 167-174 band while this freq is active?

Usually the 163's are inputs to [sometimes] multiple Rptr sites.

Am hearing radio testing on NFM this frequency

"700 testing Williams" with a five count.

CTCSS was present but I wasn't in a postion to log it.

BCFlash

The FBI can be clear or encrypted and even use cell phones. A base station IDing as 700 might be the National Park Service, that is their standard dispatch call sign. They have many repeaters around the West.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
The FBI can be clear or encrypted and even use cell phones. A base station IDing as 700 might be the National Park Service, that is their standard dispatch call sign. They have many repeaters around the West.

It's definitely LE traffic not related to Park Service. I have a pretty good handle on NPS systems here in the northland.

Most traffic are BOLOs for bank robberies - the phrase "Attention all agents" seems to indicate federal law enforcement. I'm guessing FBI as they handle bank robberies. The balance of the traffic heard was the dispatcher side of warrant information, usually the reference is made to a federal warrant. (A recent one was a federal court order of protection with a child custody issue. Lots of traffic from the dispatcher as they were trying to figure out the details. Never heard the field unit)

In this instance "700" could be the radio techs ID.

Have you searched the 167-174 band while this freq is active?
Usually the 163's are inputs to [sometimes] multiple Rptr sites.?

The traffic is few and far between and I have not been in a postion to monitor multiple scanners to see if there is related traffic elsewhere. It may in fact be a link from Phoenix to Northern Arizona. FBI does have a few resident agents up in the reservation.

And while there are inputs on 163 Mhz, there a quite a few 163 Mhz repeater outputs as well; Border Patrol comes to mind.

This was in the clear?? I was under the understanding that the FBI was encrypted. If not-cool. Something else to plug into.
Yep, Analog NFM on all traffic heard. I'm sure any really good stuff will be encrypted ! :cool:

Last edited:

ecps92

You are correct on the Rptrs for other agencies, but since we were talking FBI, I made my comment based on my experience. Not since the early 80's have I seen the FBI using anything under 167.0000 for a Repeater Output.

Maybe others might try listening and search for the other channels.

One common item , we have found in New England is One input for a ZONE and use Multiple Outputs

ie: Zone North of Boston
162.9750 as the input
with many outputs:
167.2375 - Lowell
167.3875 - Andover
167.6375 - Peabody
167.7125 - Georgetown
171.6250 - Haverhill

It's definitely LE traffic not related to Park Service. I have a pretty good handle on NPS systems here in the northland.

And while there are inputs on 163 Mhz, there a quite a few 163 Mhz repeater outputs as well; Border Patrol comes to mind.

Yep, Analog NFM on all traffic heard. I'm sure any really good stuff will be encrypted ! :cool:

Squad10

In this instance "700" could be the radio techs ID. :cool:

My notes indicate FBI Phoenix Field Office callsign KEX700. Maybe "700" refers to FO identification. Using the last three callsign numbers to identify a FO or RA has been common FBI pratice.

"700 testing Williams" maybe the FO testing communications using a communications system located at Williams, AZ, west of Flagstaff?

A few years ago, I heard Phoenix FO traffic on 163.9375 and 167.150.

As ecps92 mentioned, if the traffic you are hearing is a control point "700" input to a Vote Select system, you will hear both fixed and mobile traffic repeated on a number of other frequencies.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
My notes indicate FBI Phoenix Field Office callsign KEX700. Maybe "700" refers to FO identification. Using the last three callsign numbers to identify a FO or RA has been common FBI pratice.

"700 testing Williams" maybe the FO testing communications using a communications system located at Williams, AZ, west of Flagstaff?

A few years ago, I heard Phoenix FO traffic on 163.9375 and 167.150.

As ecps92 mentioned, if the traffic you are hearing is a control point "700" input to a Vote Select system, you will hear both fixed and mobile traffic repeated on a number of other frequencies.

Thanks Squad10 and ecps92. There are several multicast, voted and/or simulcast systems here, so I am familiar with the concept.

I have the "known" DOJ freqs in a group that is active most of the time when I am at work listening. If they were in fact linking to Bill Williams Mtn, I should have heard the repeated traffic. I can hear an 800 trunked system and numerous VHF repeated freqs from Bill Williams with no problem from my work QTH.

My records show FBI on 167.3375 on Mt Elden, which is in Flagstaff proper, a location which I cannot hear from work or home. That may explain why I cannot hear the repeated freqs, or they may be using other to-be-discovered freqs on Bill Williams.

ecps92

They might also be using an Antenna with Tilt to direct it into the needed area and you only hear that One Rptr. Lots to learn/find still :)

We recently had [Mass] some new 171 FBI Rptrs come on-line in the past year. Now we have 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 and 173 all with Rptr outputs here in New England with $167/$293 or 167.9

Thanks Squad10 and ecps92. There are several multicast, voted and/or simulcast systems here, so I am familiar with the concept.

I have the "known" DOJ freqs in a group that is active most of the time when I am at work listening. If they were in fact linking to Bill Williams Mtn, I should have heard the repeated traffic. I can hear an 800 trunked system and numerous VHF repeated freqs from Bill Williams with no problem from my work QTH.

My records show FBI on 167.3375 on Mt Elden, which is in Flagstaff proper, a location which I cannot hear from work or home. That may explain why I cannot hear the repeated freqs, or they may be using other to-be-discovered freqs on Bill Williams.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
More 163.8875 traffic

Another brief commo on 163.8875 today, NFM clear. Only heard one side of the conversation.

"Hi Bill. I don't know where Williams is"
"Oh, we'll your loud and clear here"
"No problem. That's what I'm here for"

I pretty sure this is a link/input to Bill Williams Mtn. Just need to find the output now ;)

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber

163.8875 @ 1020 ish - - Another "Attention all agents" call for a bank robbery in Peoria with suspect description. Analog in the clear and this time I got the CTCSS of 167.9.

No other traffic on any of the FBI freqs I have in my scan list :(

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
"Valid 91 at ....." transmission heard today on 173.8625, PL 167.9 in the clear, heard in the Tucson area for a bank in Peoria.

Hooligan

"91" is the (old) FBI Case Management System code for the robbery of an FDIC-insured financial institution. They've gone on to a new system, but the use of "91" as brevity for bank robbery continues. I've also heard them call it a "BR."

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I was listening to traffic the other day. Most of it was in the clear, a few with encryption. First on 173.9375 P25 with a 340 NAC, then going up I-17 they switched to "Vote Scan 12, one channel up" on 172.4125 P25 with a 670 NAC into Flagstaff.

kb7yvx

that wasn't a FBI detail,,it was part of DHS as they do they quite a bit in the phoenix area,,they did catch the guy in flagstaff as he was speeding and could put the pending charges against him

mm

Jerry,

Do you need the alpha tag for 172.4125 from a recent XTS radio ?

I'm trying to decipher it now, I have over 17 zones worth of data.

Also Check your Prescott Scanner PM's

M

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

From a few comments made, it sounded like a narcotics case, hence my assumption it was FBI or DEA. Are there any other details available yet? I fell asleep about the time they got into Flagstaff. I awoke to them starting back down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.