Chandler PD on RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Hello,
Chandler PD TG's have been added to RWC TRS.
Please note, it is expected that they will be active on the TG's between 2469 and 2499 inclusively.
Most will be enrypted.
Please submit updates to the RWC TRS database.
Thanks,

tjtewes

Premium Subscriber
Chandler, AZ. Encrytion

Wow. This is very frustrating.

I know that there are two sides to this discussion, but it does raise a question about general public safety, media access to police activities on a real-time basis and just the basic concept of transparency. This played out in Marana, I believe.

There was an abduction recently in Chandler where the bad guy gave specific instructions about not contacting the police and there was suspicion that the police traffic was being monitored. It would certainly make sense to have an encrytped traffice channel for those types of situations. But for normal type calls, I just don't get it.

Thought from the group??

Tjtewes

K2GMZ

Wow. This is very frustrating.

I know that there are two sides to this discussion, but it does raise a question about general public safety, media access to police activities on a real-time basis and just the basic concept of transparency. This played out in Marana, I believe.

There was an abduction recently in Chandler where the bad guy gave specific instructions about not contacting the police and there was suspicion that the police traffic was being monitored. It would certainly make sense to have an encrytped traffice channel for those types of situations. But for normal type calls, I just don't get it.

Thought from the group??

Tjtewes

All the normal "Patrol" TG's are non-encrypted from what I hear so far, so you'll hear the normal dispatch and accompanying traffic, not sure of the HOT channel as of yet.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but on the new system the dispatcher sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher and the units sound like they are on Mars. That's of course when my - admittedly ancient - BC796 can even FIND the control channel. I was really hoping that Chandler joining RWC Simulcast C (and the subsequent buildout required for that to happen) would improve reception out here. HAH. Fat chance.

Is it just my scanner or is the system pretty much a mess? I'd like to hear from anyone who is getting good rx on Chandler, and what scanner they're using if so.

-AZ

K2GMZ

I wonder how the units are actually doing with the system? Time will tell.

I'm off the 202 Santan at Price and comes in somewhat on 396T with an 800 duck or whip, of course dependent on how I hold the radio and how much swearing I do :(

On my in attic discone and inherent multipath, the 996T sucks, (the occasional Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah only) but better on the PSR600, about 65-70% copy and what it hits on. I've got the firmware on the 600 one revision back due to hearing others had better luck with simulcast systems before the upgrade, seems to be true. I'm going to do some testing over the weekend further validate.

For the 996T however, I hear if you toss it like a frisbee at an immovable, more solid object, while will not sound any better, you will feel a bit better.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
On my in attic discone and inherent multipath, the 996T sucks, (the occasional Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah only) but better on the PSR600, about 65-70% copy and what it hits on. I've got the firmware on the 600 one revision back due to hearing others had better luck with simulcast systems before the upgrade, seems to be true. I'm going to do some testing over the weekend further validate.

Yep. I was afraid of that. Would love to pull the trigger on a HomePatrol - I think that's just a slick little radio, but I seriously doubt it would behave properly on this system. For some reason, the RWC system is nothing short of Uniden Hell. Maybe the scanner fairy will leave a PSR-500 under my pillow this year for my birthday.

Oh and if it wasn't bad enough that Chandler PD now resides on this turkey of a radio system, to add insult to injury they've encrypted the hot channel. I hope someone in the media raises a nice big stink like they did when Phoenix and Mesa did that.They need to. There's no reason to encrypt that channel when they have a slew of others they can move a call to if the situation warrants.

Plainly put, this sucks. I was hoping to get a good enough decode to host a live stream for Chandler again when they switched, but that's obviously a no go after spending the afternoon listening to mostly unintelligible garbage and finding most of the "good stuff" is now encrypted. What a shame.

-AZ

Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but on the new system the dispatcher sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher and the units sound like they are on Mars. That's of course when my - admittedly ancient - BC796 can even FIND the control channel. I was really hoping that Chandler joining RWC Simulcast C (and the subsequent buildout required for that to happen) would improve reception out here. HAH. Fat chance.

Is it just my scanner or is the system pretty much a mess? I'd like to hear from anyone who is getting good rx on Chandler, and what scanner they're using if so.

-AZ

You know how simulcast systems are. If you aren't near one particular site (and relatively far from the others), and can't install a yagi to attenuate all but one site, you are going to hear "the mess". I've been in all of these scenarios and know all about RWC simulcast. At work, I sit under the North Mountain tower, with all other sites fairly far off / blocked. Reception is FLAWLESS on RWC Simulcast A. At my OLD house it was horrible, with me sitting right between two towers. Using a yagi, I was able to improve reception to about 90%. Now after moving to Buckeye, several of the Simulcast A sites are approximately the same direction, and relatively speaking, similar in distance. The "yagi trick" doesn't work. Simulcast A is a lost cause at home now.

As far as scanners, I have done extensive testing for years of the GRE PSR 500/600 (RS PRO 106/197), and the Uniden 396/996. I can say without any doubt, that the GRE scanners are FAR superior when it comes to digital decoding. Unidens have decoding issues under the best of circumstances. The GRE radios work well given the proper condition, and the voice sound is even, and of superior quality overall, more like analog radio sound by a wide margin.

I used to monitor the old Chandler system quite easily (same for Scottsdale) and am also saddened to see them join the RWC.

Last edited:
Yep. I was afraid of that. Would love to pull the trigger on a HomePatrol - I think that's just a slick little radio, but I seriously doubt it would behave properly on this system. For some reason, the RWC system is nothing short of Uniden Hell. Maybe the scanner fairy will leave a PSR-500 under my pillow this year for my birthday......finding most of the "good stuff" is now encrypted. What a shame.-AZ

Uniden + simulcast P25 = frustration. Also after playing with the PSR-800 I can say the new breed of scanners may "look neat" but I prefer having my buttons, so I would pass on the home patrol. GRE ONLY for my digital monitoring, thank you. By the way, you don't need to wait for the PSR fairy, when you can find the Pro-106 for under $300.

azglocker18

I'm slow...Just saw this update. I had simulcast C programmed for some unknown reason (i just use simulcast A control channels since i work downtown) so I just put a in a few of their talkgroups on a spare scan list. I'm getting good reception on my pro-106 with radioshack 800mhz whip on top my desk.

everything's loud and clear for me, but I seem to be rather fortunate here and on a good day I can get everything this side of town (minus DPS) clearly.

Last edited:

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
@AZscanner Your problem is the 796 does not have the ability to properly decode 9600 baud P25 signals. I was down in Chandler last week and hearing Chandler and Phoenix PD loud and clear with a Uniden 996XT and a GRE-500 just fine.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I have been hearing a lot of traffic on what I have as G7. It started just before Memoral Day so I figured it was DUI Task Force. Could this be the Chandler PD? I have to look up the TG Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.