RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 9:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
Actually this was for a foot chase that ended in a perimiter near 32nd street and Cambridge. The whole thing was worked in the clear on A-Deck 5. I heard the whole thing on my scanner just fine.

-AZ

That wasn't it, this one was over about 35 Ave & Glendale. We did by chance happen to see about 10 PD units at a motorcycle crash near 39 Ave & Orangewood. I don't think they'd have 10 units on scene and at least 3 running code 3 unless there's more to the story than just an accident.
Sponsored links

Old 02-12-2013, 9:38 PM

Maybe if the media starts showing up at every call they think is hot enough to cover PPD will reconsider, that way the media can hear all of the traffic and only show up at ones that really count. They they only hear the dispatch and not the full traffic they might start showing up at calls that dont need the coverage and they PPDs plan will backfire???
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

805, it's got to be this cell tower here. Having the same problem again tonight. I'm working 3rd shift in the area several nights this week, and have my scanners with me, so it's the first I've noticed it.
Old 02-13-2013, 9:23 PM

I'm surprised I have not heard anything about this from the media, I would think they would be raising hell! A and B deck are boring and I can't get DPS very well isn't DPS just traffic stops? Also for some reason I don't pick much up on MSCO I wonder if I have something programmed wrong.
Old 02-13-2013, 9:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

DPS is traffic stops until someone runs. They also assist other agencies with calls, especially when someone runs and it's suspected they got on a freeway. They assist disabled motorists and work wrecks that can easily shut down a freeway.
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 PM

to azscanner so is paying taxes in arizona a privalage or a right if its a privalege i vote to not pay if i dont know what its used for i dont believe what any police force says if i cant confirm i call it the secret police one step closer to a police state
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbadabbado View Post
to azscanner so is paying taxes in arizona a privalage or a right if its a privalege i vote to not pay if i dont know what its used for i dont believe what any police force says if i cant confirm i call it the secret police one step closer to a police state
It's neither. It's a law that Arizona residents can choose to obey or not obey - if they choose not to obey then they face prosecution.

I've examined both the US Constution and the Arizona Constitution. Neither of them (based on my layperson's interpretation at least) give me the guaranteed right to listen to the police on my scanner. If it's not listed as a right in those documents then (as I understand it) it falls under the category of a privilege. Privileges, such as driving, or listening to your scanner, or any manner of other things we do that are not guaranteed rights, can be revoked if we abuse the freedom we enjoy. This is what has happened here in Phoenix - a select few "gotta scoop the competition" media types ruined it for everyone else who was following the rules. I say let's just be thankful the entire PD system didn't get encrypted as a result, which could have easily happened.

I think recent events here in Phoenix should serve as a wakeup call to anyone with a scanner. We enjoy the freedom of being able to listen, but that freedom comes with some responsibility on our part to not abuse that freedom and use our scanners to get in the way of first responders. The only reason why encryption wasn't as prevalent in the past as it is today is because it was unreliable and expensive. Well, those days are over. With today's modern digital systems (especially when you buy them with encryption included from the get-go like Phoenix did) reliable, practically unbreakable encryption is turned on a flip of a switch. PPD could encrypt everything, right now, for FREE. And there's not a damn thing you, I, the media or all the King's horses and all the King's men could do about it. So let's be thankful for what we have and not treat scanning like it's a right, because it's definitely not.

-AZ
Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreston View Post
I'm surprised I have not heard anything about this from the media, I would think they would be raising hell! A and B deck are boring and I can't get DPS very well isn't DPS just traffic stops? Also for some reason I don't pick much up on MSCO I wonder if I have something programmed wrong.
I used to have trouble with MCSO then I made some changes (don't remember what) and now it works fine. I don't know where you are in the valley, but I have White Tanks and downtown programmed in. I put in a wildcard to hear everything, then saved talk groups when I heard something, then came back to RR to see what the TG numbers were. That worked well except I got a lot of Courts, Probation, Jails, Parks, etc. that I didn't want. I finally reprogrammed only Sheriffs TGs.

This is what I have, see if it helps you:
Type: Motorola 800/900
Fleet Map: Type II
White Tanks Control Freqs: 868.9125, 868.9375
Downtown Control Freqs: 866.775, 868.825, 868.650
Old 02-14-2013, 2:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreston View Post
I'm surprised I have not heard anything about this from the media, I would think they would be raising hell! A and B deck are boring.
How can they raise hell? They caused this to happen! I won't go into details here, but suffice to say they really did something extremely stupid and while I'm not happy with PPD's decision to encrypt C-Deck, I certainly understand why it was done. Fortunately, no one in the media got hurt as a result of their own beyond asinine actions. They very easily could have.

As for what you can hear on A and B deck, there's still plenty that goes on. Some of the best calls go out on A and B deck, such as active foot pursuits, 998's and other potentially newsworthy events. A good newsie worth their salt could still easily glean plenty of info from both PPD's A and B decks and PFD's online CAD and K deck talkgroups. Let's also not forget that every hot call starts out with an announcement of the nature of the call and the location which is simulcasted on A/B deck in the clear.

For example, let's say a shooting call goes out. PPD announces the call on A deck 4, and the incident is being worked on C Deck 4. So from the announcement on A-Deck, if you're paying attention, you get the address of the call and some preliminary info about what's going on.

From there, start listening to FD talkgroups. K-8 would probably be the one to work this traffic. On this talkgroup you hear units on scene report that they have a 21 year old hispanic male with a GSW to the chest in full code. You now know that this is a valid shooting and the victim isn't breathing or conscious - probably gonna go 901-H soon. Bingo - as a newsie that's all you need to know. Go there, get some video and ask the PIO for a soundbite. The PIO will tell you the rest that you couldn't hear on your scanner - the shooter fled on foot, K9's tracked him down and now he's in custody right over there.

Again it's not ideal, and it sucks for those of us who like to just sit at home and listen to the scanner, but it is what it is. The media isn't raising hell because they brought this on themselves #1, and #2, they can still do their jobs just fine.

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2013, 2:43 PM

With new cities and counties moving from analog and digital to new Phase 1 systems this hobby is over. With all of the angry people in the world and the news media going crazy with broadcasting scanner info over the news blame it on them. But they don't care.

Its not our fault. We just want to know what is going on in our town and cities and we are the resonsible ones. After the California incident there is no doubt in my mind that all cities and counties that have to upgrade and move forward with their new Motorola Systems all of police will be enctypted probably fire too.

Like someone said above its getting cheaper and cheaper to flip the switch and its ready available.

Give it about 5 years and our expensive scanners will be nice paper weights unless some genius hacker can break the encrytion which is hard to even rap our minds around, but anything is possible.

I think if you live in the cities or counties and want to listen and be-able to buy commerical grade equipment to Rx only then we should be-able to do so with a complete background check, just like buying a gun. We get the equipment and they program the "key to the kingdom" and we are held liable for any non-sense and held responsible under law. I thinks its fair, but I must be living in a fantasy world.

My last statement and I will stop my rants is that if you cant beat them then join them. Cops just live in their own world and they want to keep their communication private and not be transparent and to keep their world dirty as its always has been.
Old 02-14-2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix805 View Post
I used to have trouble with MCSO then I made some changes (don't remember what) and now it works fine. I don't know where you are in the valley, but I have White Tanks and downtown programmed in. I put in a wildcard to hear everything, then saved talk groups when I heard something, then came back to RR to see what the TG numbers were. That worked well except I got a lot of Courts, Probation, Jails, Parks, etc. that I didn't want. I finally reprogrammed only Sheriffs TGs.

This is what I have, see if it helps you:
Type: Motorola 800/900
Fleet Map: Type II
White Tanks Control Freqs: 868.9125, 868.9375
Downtown Control Freqs: 866.775, 868.825, 868.650
Why do I get a load static sounding noise sometimes? I put in the freqs you gave and I do pick up calls now but once and a while I get a very loud annoying almost digital sounding noise. Do I need to adjust something? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Chris, what scanner are you using? On what talkgroups are you getting this "loud static sounding noise"? I have heard some use of encryption on the SID and Special Ops talkgroups. Otherwise, you have to be more specific.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 PM

I'm using a Pro 106, It happens a lot only on MCSO it just happened on with the following information on the screen, I downloaded this from radio reference premium figured it would be easier, but it also happened when I only used the freqs that was provided earlier!

03-0362 TGRP P1D
VC 857.86250
MARICOPA COUNTY
TSYS

Hope this helps some.
Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What was the actual talkgroup? Your info only tells me you have them programmed into scanlist 3, object #0362, that it's a trunked radio system, and the voice channel. We need the actual talkgroup.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I may have just caught what you're talking about. It sounded just like opening the squelch knob on a conventional channel. I heard it on 43248 East Dispatch. And no, I don't know what is causing it.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And by the way, if you ever take your scanner to the East Valley anywhere, you're probably going to want to have the Thompson Peak frequencies for the county system in addition to White Tanks and Downtown. Those are the 3 main sites you want.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And I think we've hijacked this thread enough lol
Old 02-16-2013, 9:45 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Im a new member here and a relatively new owner of a PDR-600. Unencrypted police transmissions are a personal safety issue for me. I want to know what is going on in my neighborhood. If it's a bad time for my wife to be riding her bicycle I want to know it. if it is a bad time for grandchildren to be playing out front I want to know it.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM

I understand your frustrations big time. be lucky that Phoenix still has some opened police stuff still in the clear.

I live in the famous city where Dorner made his first attack which I live about 10 minutes from and our LE agency has been encrypted for the past 15 years and he was on the lose and ran on this rampage for days and a couple of weeks and we did not hear about the double murder for at least 24 hours.

Had no way of finding that that some nut bag was running our streets in the safest city in america and its just plain not right. Keep in mind that this nut bag murdered two wonderful people that had their whole lives to look forward too and the cops are just not allowing us to know what is going on in our own city.

We had the cops running our streets last night and speeding up and down the street and I was like what the hell is going on and sure enough I just dont know and will never know. We have lost our community based policing.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM

There was some interesting call from the MCSO detectives
I assume this sunner the lake side MCSO patrol should be good.