RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 7:07 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris480 View Post
Almost seems like your on there side! You keep saying why they should Encrypt instead of like almost everyone else here is saying why they shouldn't! Again I don't agree with it making the officers safer or citizens safer as if its really that important or sensitive they could move to another Encrypted channel! I don't want to shut the hell up! Maybe if enough people don't shut the hell up they will get tired of hearing from us and do something! Although again I think that's unlikely but we still have the right to bit@% about it LOL!
Allow me to say at least this: the public's need to know far outweighs the crooks using phones.

Take a look at Mobile, alabama though for a shock: the departments there are not only shutting out the public from knowledge, they are using PHONE APPS to communicate!

Now how ironic is that my scanner friends????
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2013, 9:41 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris480 View Post
Almost seems like your on there side! You keep saying why they should Encrypt instead of like almost everyone else here is saying why they shouldn't! Again I don't agree with it making the officers safer or citizens safer as if its really that important or sensitive they could move to another Encrypted channel! I don't want to shut the hell up! Maybe if enough people don't shut the hell up they will get tired of hearing from us and do something! Although again I think that's unlikely but we still have the right to bit@% about it LOL!
Dude, first of all I never said they should encrypt, I was merely attempting to explain why this happened and why it's not going to change. Second of all, if you really think calling them up and complaining about it is going to help, then by all means do so and let us know exactly how well that works out for you. I'm tired of repeating myself. We can either accept this or complain all over the city about it but the bottom line is that the police department is not going to unencrypt the chase channels just because a bunch of scanner listeners keep whining about it. That is just reality.

-AZ
Old 03-05-2013, 4:51 PM

Default Arizona Republic - Upcoming Story

I will be interviewed by a reporter from the Republic tomorrow, about this subject. This comes in response to a letter I sent to them. I will be offering my side of the story, as a proponent of leaving the hot calls "in the clear" unless there is a specific need to encrypt (there are plenty of encrypted TG' available if needed). Hopefully my views will be offered as a counter to the City's position on this matter.

The story will be in the newspaper Friday.
Old 03-05-2013, 6:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_Scanner View Post
I will be interviewed by a reporter from the Republic tomorrow, about this subject. This comes in response to a letter I sent to them. I will be offering my side of the story, as a proponent of leaving the hot calls "in the clear" unless there is a specific need to encrypt (there are plenty of encrypted TG' available if needed). Hopefully my views will be offered as a counter to the City's position on this matter.

Looking forward to reading it!
Old 03-05-2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:

Very cool! Good luck!
Sponsored links

Old 03-05-2013, 8:43 PM

well if the PPD goes encrypted there is always other police frequencies just saying
Old 03-06-2013, 8:05 AM

good luck and may the force be with you
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question

Quote:

Well, how'd the interview go? Do we have something to look forward to in tomorrow's paper?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix805 View Post
Well, how'd the interview go? Do we have something to look forward to in tomorrow's paper?
Here is the link:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...nclick_check=1

The reporter was nice and seemed to share our views overall. The police were using some questionable "examples" here. In one part they talk about how THEY recently "had to" broadcast sensitive information about a dangerous suspect they were closing in on. Who's fault is that when they have always had plenty of encrypted TGs available?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Here is the link:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...nclick_check=1

The reporter was nice and seemed to share our views overall. The police were using some questionable "examples" here. In one part they talk about how THEY recently "had to" broadcast sensitive information about a dangerous suspect they were closing in on. Who's fault is that when they have always had plenty of encrypted TGs available?
I just finished reading the 'hard copy'. I thought you did a good job, but unfortunately I thought the paper defended the police more than you, but that's par for the course.

Thanks for taking a stand and pushing for what you think is right!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes thanks for taking the stand but I do think that the article does favor the police side since the newspaper and the media will always take the side of the community and the cops.

Just be thankful that you were able to listen as long as your can. Our cities and county in Orange County have been fully Encrypted for all of LE and tactical talkgroups for the past 13 years so your city is just finally getting caught up with the times. Trust I hate this trend and I have been seeing this for years now and this has really nothing to do with smartphones and internet broadcasts. Our city and county did this 13 years ago before you even knew what the word "GOOGLE" meant plus technology was not even great back then.

The cops just want to stay in their own boys club and don't want to have to answer to the public on everything and what a great concept to encrypt because us humans created this technology. So us humans only did it to ourselves. That's why I have said over and over again in alot of posts on RR that this industry is slowly dying a painful death. In the next five years everything including all of LE accross the nation will be encrypted. Its been a full trend in SoCal for sure. But LAPD is still fully open P25 in the clear but with the new P25 Phase 1 system they will slowly move over and Encrypt too.

But I do say thanks for getting the news out and trying to defend the hobby industry. Hopefully maybe in time that there will be so much chatter about it that maybe there will be some way to ease some of the talkgroups.

Look at it this way, after 911 you wern't able to even look a certain way or you were thrown off of an airplane and handcuffed and taken to jail. Now they are slowly starting to let your carry pocket knives again. But if some idiot screws it up and slices somebodies throat with a small pocket knife on an airplane again then we are all back to square one.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM

The article turned out pretty decent. Have generally mistrusted media interviews after being "selectively quoted" after a college football riot way back when.
Old 03-08-2013, 1:04 PM

Quote:
The public information officer for PPD very politely responded to my letter and this is what he said:

Thank you for your comments. We are not currently encrypting any additional channels, we have switched our crimes in progress call to encrypted channels we have always had. We are leaving the precinct channels open to be monitored by scanners. Every call comes out on these channels so the real time information is there. I have example after example of careless use of scanner traffic that has put officers, victims, suspects and witnesses in danger. Worse, it has jeopardized too many criminal cases. If you would like to have a discussion with me about the topic I would be more then happy to share our thoughts with you, my numbers are below.

Sergeant Trent Crump

Phoenix Police Department | Media Relations

***So after seeing this, and after reading the link posted above, I had a thought. It would seem to me that what has finally done the hobby in, is in large part the internet scanner feeds. These have allowed every thug to simply use his phone to hear traffic in his area, and to possibly help him in committing crimes. I suspect the increase in problems the police department has seen, correlates to the rise in popularity of smart phone scanner app usage. I can't help but feel that if these feeds had never been put up, and the smart phone problem had never come up, we wouldn't be facing the same situation. So am I wrong to say that smart phones basically helped speed the death of the hobby?
well I do that my self,
but you just have to scan other police frequencies, I can't believe your going let a local police frequency stop you from scanning some thing else.
Old 03-11-2013, 5:56 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

"You can still ask for any radio tape you want."

HA! Sure, you can ask, but good luck actually getting a copy, especially if it's a recording of one of the surveillance channels. You'll be surprised how fast tapes can get lost or "accidentally erased".

As for the debate around whether or not feeds are killing the hobby, they certainly don't help. I still say we should have a ten minute delay on the feeds to combat the problem of crooks using phones to monitor the po-po, but that's just me.

-AZ
Old 03-11-2013, 6:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post

HA! Sure, you can ask, but good luck actually getting a copy, especially if it's a recording of one of the surveillance channels. You'll be surprised how fast tapes can get lost or "accidentally erased".

As for the debate around whether or not feeds are killing the hobby, they certainly don't help. I still say we should have a ten minute delay on the feeds to combat the problem of crooks using phones to monitor the po-po, but that's just me.

-AZ
Putting the delay in the picture is not the problem. There is already a delay. The problem is with the cities and counties not liking their airwaves transmitted around the world. This has gone way over board and they dont like it. When it comes to making decisions on encrypting they are just going to do it because they can now with TDMA and being digital. Plus Motorola is just putting it their radio since it will just be a standard feature and just flip the switch and thats it. It sucks, I hate but there is nothing that is going to change their minds.

The best thing is for RR to just take down the feeds period. End of Story. Let everything cool down for a couple of years and let things start to normalize again and then re-visit the issue.

Things are always changing in the world and when cities and counties start to realize that there are no more feeds being broadcasted around the world then maybe they will losen the belts and open up some dispatch and some rountine tactical channels. Any others high impact tacticals are here to stay forever. Like I said in previous threads my city and county has been encrypted for at least 10 to 13 years now on all their LE talkgroups and has never turned the corner and this was way back before streaming audio. So this is my opinion and who really knows the right answers. I think it will come down to resonsibility of people that buy these radios and the manufacturers of these radios.

I think thats why GRE is done. Whats the point on building radios when business is down. Why invest when you can't beat encryption. No need to carry on. Just cut your lose when you can and move down the road. Plus when was the last time you saw Uniden build a nice scanner. The 996xt which was released about 5 years ago and then they released that cheap home patrol and thats it. Just firmware after firmware and no really big fixes. Just stalling for time.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2013, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post

HA! Sure, you can ask, but good luck actually getting a copy...

-AZ

My thoughts exactly. Maybe if there is some major event and the whole media is making a stink....but as far as the average Joe getting the tapes I think it would be pretty much impossible.

The truth is that the police departments would prefer to keep their communications private, especially after the Dorner incident.
Old 03-11-2013, 7:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

pepsima, GRE is not in limbo due to encryption or (lack of) sales. They lost their manufacturing plant due to China buying up the land it sat on for other developement, and they are still attempting to locate another plant to take over manufacturing.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM

it has been six months for GRE...... <crickets>
Old 03-12-2013, 5:36 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Phoenix PD Encrypted HOT calls

pepsi's entire post is off base, so hard to pick which part to deal with first
Old 03-13-2013, 5:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

karl, yea, I'm not saying they're coming back anytime soon, if ever. I was just correcting his statement as to why they quit manufacturing. One can only hope GRE does make a comeback.
And/or that Uniden comes out with a new model or 3 in the near future.