Anyone else have a Uniden 436hp? I have an RWC simulcast question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Okay. So. I did my favorites lists and I put several different agencies in their own FL. Like, Scottsdale PD is in one, Phoenix PD in another etc etc. My question about the simulcast sites is...does each FL have to contain all of the RWC simulcast or can they just have the tower site such as Thompson Peak or South Scottsdale?

Thank you. :)

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Use favorite lists for a collection of systems that you want to monitor. The way I have it set up is the RWC is one system, all sites, and all departments. Avoid and unavoid departments based on what you want to monitor. You can also avoid sites that are not in range, and unavoid them if you are using the scanner within range.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
So I should put all the agencies that are on the RWC in one FL then like Topaz in another and then whoever is left in whichever list, is that what you mean?

Thank you for answering. :)

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
So I should put all the agencies that are on the RWC in one FL then like Topaz in another and then whoever is left in whichever list, is that what you mean?

Thank you for answering. :)

Yes. That is what I've done with everything in Arizona.

Obviously, I spend most of my time down here in Tucson, but I do travel up your way quite frequently, in fact tomorrow, I'll be up there for a few hours :)

If you don't want the radio to scan a specific tower/site, you can set it to "temporary" or "Permanent" Avoid.
I usually use temporary, so when I restart the scanner, it goes back to the default.

You can Avoid and stop Avoiding on the fly with the x36HP radios. Love this ability over the PSR-800 :)

As was mentioned by Joe, you can do the same thing with the "departments" too. :) Keeping all under one FL per system makes it easier for you to locate the individual departments.

Having said that, I am currently experimenting with what you suggested doing with the PCWIN system coming on line down here. When Tucson Fire Department went live on PCWIN, I created a Tucson Fire Department only FL. So far, it doesn't seem to make sense for me to do that, as I can also turn on and off by service type, the radio traffic I'd like to hear.

But, that is the beauty of these scanners and we have to figure it out. The next thing I'm going to try is to set it up by region - north, south, east, west, and build FL's based upon these parts of Pima County, with Departments from these respective areas. That will ensure I'm not scanning other stuff, I could, but don't want to hear :)

mothertrucker

But, that is the beauty of these scanners and we have to figure it out. The next thing I'm going to try is to set it up by region - north, south, east, west, and build FL's based upon these parts of Pima County, with Departments from these respective areas. That will ensure I'm not scanning other stuff, I could, but don't want to hear :)

Please keep us posted FLANO as to how you will set up your regions in the city & county as I too am only concerned with regularly monitoring a few areas of town but, I will want full access to everything if the SHTF if you know what I mean.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Okay. So I put all of RWC on one list, Topaz on another, them MCSO on a third. Those are the three big systems. Then the smaller, conventional/analog went on police or fire labeled lists. As soon as I did that the radio "sploded" with activity. :D

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Okay. So I put all of RWC on one list, Topaz on another, them MCSO on a third. Those are the three big systems. Then the smaller, conventional/analog went on police or fire labeled lists. As soon as I did that the radio "sploded" with activity. :D

Hi Brenda, glad to hear you got it sorted out. My weekend was literally nothing but sick kids, sick computer and sick me. Not fun. I'm finally back to somewhat "normal" today. So I'm sorry I didn't get back to your email yet. If you still need the help PM or email me and I'll do what I can.

Something I've done with my 436 is to combine the RWC and TOPAZ systems into one massive system in my FL I've cleverly named "RWC/TOPAZ". Sounds crazy I know, but the reason I did this was to be able to set up a Fire Dispatch "department" containing only Phoenix Alarm and Mesa Alarm that I can keep the scanner locked onto so that I only hear those two channels. You can literally figure out 99% of what's going on in the valley based just on those two channels. It's an extremely powerful newsgathering tool. Having both systems combined also makes it very easy to monitor one "system" and hear what's going on in both Mesa and Tempe for example, when I'm in that area.

-AZ

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Phil. No worries. I'm sorry your kids were sick as I'm sure it made for a not-so-fun weekend with them. I hope they, and you, are doing better now and that your next weekend with them will be much better. :)

Anyway, I *think* I have it figured out. Unfortunately, scanning at home and scanning at work are two different creatures entirely and I almost fear what the situation will be when we move back to the main building. Right now I'm on the 3rd floor of a 3 floor building. When we move back to the main building, I'll be on the 1st floor of a 2 floor building, not including the undergrand parking garage and surrounded by trees. Hopefully that won't affect reception too much.

You put RWC and Topaz on the same list? Eeek. And it works for you? That might be something worth checking out. One of the nice things about this radio is that they're easier to change around. Yesterday I locked out all my FLs and scanned Full Database and you know what I ended up picking up? The same stuff I was getting just on my FLs. hahaha. Plus extra stuff I wasn't interested in or wasn't a good signal.

llicht

I have a new 436 and cannot seem to receive scottsdale FD The only FD i receive is Phoenix. I have selected RWC and all the sites. I see Scottsdale and south scottsdale display but don't hear anything. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.