RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Tucsonlady,

Scannermaster gave you some bad information. That scanner will not work for Tucson PD. Only the scanners named above. I would call them and have them pay to return it and get one of the right scanners.You should also get a discount from them since they don't know what they are talking about.
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM

Wink PCWIN Cutover

good morning Tucson lady, no, that particular radio will not receive PCWIN System its a Phase-2 TDMA system, your new radio only receives Phase-1 FDMA, you will need the newer Unidens the BCD436HP or BCD536HP,or the PSR-800 which you can buy on E-bay, and sometime here on RR too, or on the PSR-800 yahoo group there is two for sale right now, from $365.00 to $500.00 !!!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
AZ DB Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonlady View Post
I just purchased a Uniden BCD996XT Apco 25 scanner. Will that work for Tucson Police? I got upset when my old scanner stopped receiving last week and bought this one (was recommended by Scannermaster for this area). Now I'm worried and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use the new scanner.

If it is OK for TPD, is there anyone I can pay to program it for me??
Sorry to say, you were misinformed on which radio will work for you in the Tucson area now

I would contact them and advise them, as they may be unaware, that the Pima County area has upgraded their radio system to a P25 Phase II system.

This necessitates one of the following radios to hear the system, Uniden BCD436HP (a handheld), Uniden BCD536HP (Mobile/Base), or a GRE PSR-800 (a handheld).

Scannermaster may have one of the Uniden's in stock, at a higher price. The GRE PSR-800 is out of production. You might find for sale on line at eBay, for example.

So that you can hear the differences, if you like, our monthly South East Arizona Area Monitoring group scanner club meeting is this Saturday. Check out the SEARM thread for more details.

We will demonstrate all of the radios.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone! I bought the new radio on Amazon after I read Scannermaster's endorsement. I was just too hasty. I'll return it (ugh!) and I will attend this Saturday's meeting. I had a Radio Shack Pro 163. It was soooo easy to set up because all I want to do is listen to the police. I'll go to the SEARM thread and RSVP. Thanks again!!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE7VJW View Post
Tucsonlady,

Scannermaster gave you some bad information. That scanner will not work for Tucson PD. Only the scanners named above. I would call them and have them pay to return it and get one of the right scanners.You should also get a discount from them since they don't know what they are talking about.
I doubt that (about the discount). It always pays to post here first and ask before you buy, folks!

The good news is that the 436HP costs the same as a 996, so Tucsonlady, just return the 996 (you might have to pay a restock fee) and get the 436, that's the radio you need. I got mine from them and it works great on both the Phoenix RWC and Tucson's PCWIN systems.

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
I doubt that (about the discount). It always pays to post here first and ask before you buy, folks!

The good news is that the 436HP costs the same as a 996, so Tucsonlady, just return the 996 (you might have to pay a restock fee) and get the 436, that's the radio you need. I got mine from them and it works great on both the Phoenix RWC and Tucson's PCWIN systems.

-AZ
Thanks so much, AZScanner (and everyone else). I've got a bad case of "buyer's remorse" so that info makes me feel a lot better. (My posts are being delayed due to the fact that I'm new on here, but when they finally get here, a million thanks! I Googled till I was blind and couldn't get the straight scoop until now.)
Old 04-17-2014, 1:54 AM

Default TPD/TFD

I am stuck with a Pro 106 that won't receive these now. No problem ebaying it and getting a new scanner but I need to know before from those of you listening on the new PCWIN system does is have all the traffic of the old TPD and TFD or are they encrypting a lot of it. I listened before the cutover and there were always calls happening. Now I listen on an internet radio feed from a 436hp and am only hearing traffic stops and other mundane police calls. Seems lifeless and boring now. Quiet monotone voices and no chase, or exciting calls. Again I don't mind buying a new scanner but I need to know if the same excitement will be there.
Old 04-17-2014, 3:41 AM

alf2005, I've listened to some internet scanners from time to time and noticed the same thing (dull!). I wonder why that is. I know next to nothing about encryption but from everything I've tried to read and understand, TPD did not do that. Those who now have one of the three radios that work (including the 436HP) seem to be satisfied. I hope so! I like the drama.
Old 04-17-2014, 9:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf2005 View Post
I am stuck with a Pro 106 that won't receive these now. No problem ebaying it and getting a new scanner but I need to know before from those of you listening on the new PCWIN system does is have all the traffic of the old TPD and TFD or are they encrypting a lot of it. I listened before the cutover and there were always calls happening. Now I listen on an internet radio feed from a 436hp and am only hearing traffic stops and other mundane police calls. Seems lifeless and boring now. Quiet monotone voices and no chase, or exciting calls. Again I don't mind buying a new scanner but I need to know if the same excitement will be there.
I have not noticed any encryption from TPD, including surveillance talkgroups. I have not heard any of the TPD patrol teams switching to a different talkgroup for any types of calls. I think maybe it's just been the luck of the draw to only have routine calls while you were monitoring.

The new digital system can affect the way that the voices sound on the scanner, so that may be a part of the seeming monotone voices.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM
AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin

I agree that you may not being hearing any fun, because you are listening at the time the fun is not happening That being said, Broadcastify allows the patrol channels, not the surveillance and other types of channels. Even if you hear something of interest over these broadcasters, they usually have other talk groups or frequencies loaded so that you couldn't follow them anyway.

If you want to hear more, you have to buy a capable radio.

That being said, I've watched this system grow from infancy to where it is today. I can guarantee you that there are encrypted or encryptable talk groups on this system. It sure would be nice to keep that encryption need down

I actually can't think of a hot scenario with TPD since their cutover. I did hear a great chase on the legacy system right before cutover, which involved TPD, DPS, and PCSO. Each were on their own radio systems, not talking directly to each other. Time will tell.

For those coming on Saturday night to the SEARM meeting, see you there.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM
AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin

Quote:
That PRO-106 is a handy and very capable radio. It is still useable for other listening ventures.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Default TPD/TFD

Thanks for all of the replies! You guys are really helpful. I will get to searching for a good deal on the 436hp.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:08 AM
AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin

Exclamation

MT,
tried to respond to your PM. You don't have PM turned on for messages to you, so I can't respond

As soon as you have it turned on, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertrucker View Post
I held out to the last minute but, I guess I will now charge the batteries in the new BCD436 , fire it up & see if I can figure out the new system.

Here is the link to the last call of the old system.....

Tucson police upgrade radio system - Tucson News Now

Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hello all,

I currently broadcast the Tucson feed Teams 1 thru 4 and meds dispatch. I also listen to my feed frequently at work. I still here plenty of action but I think a little of the "hot" stuff is broadcast on the crosstalk channels. Each team has their own crosstalk channel. Unfortunately I can't broadcast those channels. If you want to listen to those You will have to purchase a capable scanner.
Old 04-19-2014, 1:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANO View Post
MT,
tried to respond to your PM. You don't have PM turned on for messages to you, so I can't respond

As soon as you have it turned on, let me know.
I have all that turned on as of this morning. Let's try it again.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2014, 12:45 AM

Default Tucson Fire on PCWIN

Hello all,
I recently purchased a BCD436HP. I have the Tucson Police department channels working well but it seems the only channel I hear for the Tucson Fire Department is dispatch. I must have something messed up but cannot figure out what it is. I never hear anything on FIRE1 or FIRE2 or EMS1 or EMS2. Fire Dispatch is loud and clear. Is there a trick to hearing the other channels?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:53 PM
AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Hello all,
I recently purchased a BCD436HP. I have the Tucson Police department channels working well but it seems the only channel I hear for the Tucson Fire Department is dispatch. I must have something messed up but cannot figure out what it is. I never hear anything on FIRE1 or FIRE2 or EMS1 or EMS2. Fire Dispatch is loud and clear. Is there a trick to hearing the other channels?
Make sure you have the appropriate service types on, for example, Fire-TAC, EMS-TAC, etc...

By default, the dispatch service types are on. You have to choose the others to turn on and off.
Old 04-29-2014, 1:27 PM

John,

Thank you very much. That did the trick. This unit is full of surprises. I better read the manual a few more times! Thanks again.

Virgil (alf2005)
Old 06-07-2014, 2:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Any feedback about the BCD-536HP here in Tucson?

I've been seeing really mixed reviews on the BCD-536HP, so before I drop almost $600 for a scanner, I am curious what the experience has been for Tucson users with this scanner? I want this unit and not a portable (BCD-436HP).
Old 06-07-2014, 2:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreiman View Post
I've been seeing really mixed reviews on the BCD-536HP, so before I drop almost $600 for a scanner, I am curious what the experience has been for Tucson users with this scanner? I want this unit and not a portable (BCD-436HP).
I have the BCD436HP and my experience has been wonderful. I am on the far east side of town near TFD station 12, I primarily monitor the Simulcast A site. I have no problems with multi-path distortion whatsoever.

I wold expect the results with the BCD536HP to be similar.