POTUS coming to town Thursday 1/8/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Just saw coming across the wire (aka Twitter) - President Obama will be giving a speech at Central High School this coming Thursday at 10:30 AM. Expect the usual closures on I-10 around Sky Harbor and such. :roll: I live right near 32nd and the freeway and everytime the Pres comes to town it snarls up all sorts of traffic around my house.

Anyhoo, I'm sure the RWC G-Decks will be buzzing with related activity, as will DPS Metro Central. What else do you guys recommend monitoring? Anything in the clear with USSS? I know the protection detail is always encrypted (and should be) but maybe there's others that folks here know of that will be in the clear and interesting to listen to. Let's log what lights up Thursday! I want to create a "POTUS Visit" favorites list so I don't have to keep looking this stuff up all the time.

-AZ

An update to share: The President will actually arrive Wednesday evening at 7pm. Hopefully everyone reading this will have already commuted home by then, because the freeways will have closures in effect as the motorcade takes him to whatever hotel he's staying at. If you have someone you're picking up at Sky Harbor around that time, I'd recommend getting there early.

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Here is a very old thread where I had a chance to monitor a Presidential visit.

http://forums.radioreference.com/ar.../144857-presidential-visit-2.html#post1072335

That is the only visit that I had a chance to monitor in depth. The post above was made before we had identified all G and K Deck talkgroups and before fire started using K Deck. I did receive simplex P25 encrypted on several known Secret Service freqs that are documented in the thread above. I'm guessing the freqs might be different today, but you can probably count on all to be encrypted. Program all well known Secret Service freqs and let us know what you hear.

G-Deck and DPS TAC freqs would be a good bet for most unencrypted communications. I would also monitor L and O Deck for potential communications.

Air Force One will probably land on the big runway 8/26 again at Sky Harbor, so TRACON freqs should be the same. It is always fun hearing "Air Force One" calling to Phoenix tower. I'm not sure if the Data Link freq is the same, but that will tell you when Air Force One is close.

Last edited:

AZScanner

I went out to the Fedcom blog and plopped all of their known USSS frequencies into a favorites list. No idea if anything will be in the clear or not (I'm guessing not) but I'll scan it starting Wednesday evening and see if there's any activity that can be monitored.

-AZ

KB7MIB

My guess would be that H-deck will be used by law enforcement much more than G-deck or O-deck, because H-deck is encrypted.

Fire will most likely be on K-4 and/or K-5. Again, their encrypted channels.

DPS may make use of their encrypted channels on the YRCS, but could be on H-deck and/or their UHF tacs.

I'll be monitoring G-, L- and O-decks as normal, however.

John
Peoria

Last edited:

AZScanner

Has anyone else had problems receiving the Sky Harbor IR site? I just loaded it up and so far none of the control channels seem to be active (could be I'm just too far away right now). Curious if something has changed. I know they've been working on the RWC's sites, so maybe Sky Harbor traffic has moved elsewhere for the time being? If anyone has the inside skinny, please share.

-AZ

KB7MIB

According to the DB, virtually all of the Sky Harbor TG's are now encrypted. Which may also explain why I've seen Goodyear airport's 1161 come up encrypted on Simulcast G, as well.

167.3625 and 173.7125, both with a NAC of 167 (FBI?), have been active this afternoon. Encrypted, of course.

A couple of H-decks have been active.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

I heard Air Force One on 126.600. A first for me :) I did not hear them on 128.650. Nor did I hear the data link on 362.250.

I never heard anything on G- or O-deck. H-6 and H-7 are both active.

The motorcade was on DPS Metro Central.

Anyone else have anything?

The President was scheduled to talk at Central High School at 10:25am. However that has been pushed back. Speculation is that he will visit the VA Hospital. This may also push back his scheduled departure from Sky Harbor an hour later, putting it closer to noon.

John
Peoria

AZScanner

I heard Air Force One on 126.600. A first for me :) I did not hear them on 128.650. Nor did I hear the data link on 362.250.

I never heard anything on G- or O-deck. H-6 and H-7 are both active.

The motorcade was on DPS Metro Central.

Anyone else have anything?

The President was scheduled to talk at Central High School at 10:25am. However that has been pushed back. Speculation is that he will visit the VA Hospital. This may also push back his scheduled departure from Sky Harbor an hour later, putting it closer to noon.

John
Peoria

I heard Air Force one acknowledge landing clearance, and the motorcade on DPS Central also, other than that, nothing. Lots of activity on H Deck as well as the airport talkgroups, but all was encrypted of course.

I can't believe they encrypted the airport talkgroups. I mean really - even the Parking Lot ops? WTH is up with that?? God forbid someone with a scanner hear that there's no more room to park at Terminal 3 or some such. :roll:

Between this and the fire cad being next to useless I'm beginning to think that this hobby is just about tapped out here in Phoenix. I could always get into monitoring trains and aircraft I suppose....

-AZ

KB7MIB

I wonder if the airport went encrypted just for the President's visit, and will go back clear in a day or two?
One can only hope.

The motorcade is leaving the high school now. On ramps are already being closed.

John
Peoria

AZScanner

I wonder if the airport went encrypted just for the President's visit, and will go back clear in a day or two?

Not likely. They probably encrypted at the behest/suggestion of the TSA, and if that's the case then they're gone for good.

The motorcade is leaving the high school now. On ramps are already being closed.

Cool. I'm hoping that traffic is still departing to the East from the airport when he leaves - if so, he'll fly right over where I work. :D I'll see if I can grab a quick pic on my phone - left the good camera at home, drat! I'm not a huge fan of the current holder of the office (who in AZ really is), but I'm a BIG Air Force 1 fanboy... I make it a point to at least catch a glimpse of it in person every time it's in town. ;)

-AZ

KB7MIB

Yea, I want to actuallly see it arrive and/or leave next time, not just hear them acknowledge lining up on the localizer like I did yesterday. I didn't listen to them leave this morning, I wanted to drive out to Quartzsite and do some listening to the YRCS in La Paz county, and left the house about the time Air Force One was leaving.

John
Peoria

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Between this and the fire cad being next to useless I'm beginning to think that this hobby is just about tapped out here in Phoenix. I could always get into monitoring trains and aircraft I suppose....

-AZ

There's always mall security!!! :cool:

Mike

Squad10

In consolation, I could search through my attic for my reel to reel AUDIO recording of Jimmy Carter and his spouse Rosalynn having conversation over EF Nationwide, then post the audio file. I'll need to make certain the Teac rubber belts are still intact. :cool:

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
True... the ones that haven't gone DMR yet anyway... ;)

-AZ

Well, I have just successfully listened to some DMR down here in the Tucson area with my FunCube Pro Plus dongle, SDR#, and DSD 1.7.

It was a simple test in my shop with the laptop and a wire coming off the dongle, but, all self contained on the laptop, and it worked :) If I can get it working well, I'll be checking out the DMR activity around the state :)

Just ordered AirSpy and it should be here Monday, I hope.

So, even if they encrypt, there are still other things that we could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.