Now that we have a new Phoenix police chief....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
... is anyone in the media planning to bend his ear to get C-Deck back? Would sure be nice to be able to monitor C-Deck again. If so, let me know and I'll chime in on that conversation too. Despite the actions of ONE person at ONE station, I don't think it's fair to punish the media and scanner listeners as a whole forever. Certainly PPD has enough encrypted channels already that could be used for sensitive calls where the media decides to step over the line (and we all know that ONE station that will). Encrypting all hot calls is just a complete overreaction and I think we as the scanner community in Phoenix (media included) have put up with this nonsense long enough.

-AZ

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
Preach it

How could we get this ball rolling to get C Deck open again and for the Topaz Hot Channels open as well.
I would love to help if it is needed.

tipster67

The Media needs to also make a few concessions... Hot calls limited to maybe just the helo's... Not sure where the middle ground is, but closing down all comm's to the people (Scanner followers) who are the first to support what they do cause we hear and understand what it is they do. Just really doesn't make since.. Also the scanners are just the same as using social media where it puts details right into the hands of the citizens... I feel a dialog should at least be opened. Too many pluses for all sides involved.

KB7MIB

Recently, the mayor of D.C. has ordered that fire department comms be unencrypted there.
Maybe that's where the efforts to unencrypt C-deck should be focused?

Sky Harbor should be unencrypted as well, including the main police talkgroup. Keep a 2nd tactical talkgroup encrypted for car-to-car/info needs.
The Downtown Operations Unit (DOU) should also have their main talkgroup in the clear, and a 2nd tactical talkgroup can remain encrypted.

That's just my opinion.

John
Peoria

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
The media has asked, and were laughed at. It's actually going to get worse. With a union loving guy in the Chief's chair now, expect to see even more encryption and LESS transparency. Also, for what it is worth... the incident with channel 3 was merely the straw the broke the camels back when it came to turning off C-Deck. PPD had been contemplating it for a couple years, but was looking for a good reason to do it without the legal drag from media attorneys. It was the PERFECT excuse to encrypt... they knew it, and jumped on it like a kid in a candy store.

Phoenix Police command has openly admitted that their primary concern and reasoning for encryption stems from the online scanner feeds, and the ease of access they provide to criminals thus compromising officer safety. I'm not saying I agree with it, just relaying what came from the horses mouth.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
The media has asked, and were laughed at. It's actually going to get worse. With a union loving guy in the Chief's chair now, expect to see even more encryption and LESS transparency. Also, for what it is worth... the incident with channel 3 was merely the straw the broke the camels back when it came to turning off C-Deck. PPD had been contemplating it for a couple years, but was looking for a good reason to do it without the legal drag from media attorneys. It was the PERFECT excuse to encrypt... they knew it, and jumped on it like a kid in a candy store.

Phoenix Police command has openly admitted that their primary concern and reasoning for encryption stems from the online scanner feeds, and the ease of access they provide to criminals thus compromising officer safety. I'm not saying I agree with it, just relaying what came from the horses mouth.

Yep. It certainly was the perfect excuse. I bet that even if the incident with channel 3 never happened, we'd still have lost C-Deck for some other convenient reason. They obviously intended to lock it down all along. Then, when the next "convenient excuse" comes along, there will go the patrol channels too. At least PFD is being a little more media friendly these days. I noticed gas leaks and other calls that were dropped from the public CAD page are now back. Still no VI calls though (shootings, stabbings, assaults, etc). I'm sure those will never be back - we wouldn't want "channel 3" to beat them to a shooting and make them look bad now would we? ;)

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.