Scottsdale Simulcast H

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpolich7

Premium Subscriber
Anyone having success receiving Scottsdale PD Channel 1 (South Dispatch) from any site?

On Simulcast H I successfully receive Phoenix Fire frequencies, but for at least a year Scottsdale PD is missing or so badly distorted voice cannot be understood. From Hayden & Chaparral have tried no antenna, stubby, whip, discone, and yagi.

On Pinnacle Peak, Scottsdale PD Channel 2 (North Dispatch) comes in just fine, but Scottsdale PD Channel 1 is not broadcast from that site.

I know that simulcasts are troublesome, but hoping someone may have some new ideas. Thanks for any suggestions.

KB7MIB

It's Thompson Peak, not Pinnacle Peak, for that IR site.
I can't help with Simulcast H, though, being in Peoria. Good luck.

John
Peoria

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
At this time, Scottsdale PD1 (South) is only Simulcast H. In the past it has also been on Simulcast F, but this is no longer. These are the only sites I have heard it on.

jpolich7

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, cellphone. Apparently there are some changes potentially coming to the Scottsdale and Paradise Valley area, per the RWC latest annual report. But not clear how any of them-- like yet another simulcast H site-- will help monitoring. Just more RFI.

SCPD

QRT
At this time, Scottsdale PD1 (South) is only Simulcast H. In the past it has also been on Simulcast F, but this is no longer. These are the only sites I have heard it on.

I visit northern Scottsdale at least once each Christmas and sometimes in the spring or fall. I programmed Thompson Peak into my scanner and as the OP indicated I only get the north PD channel. It is pretty inactive and I miss hearing the southern portion of the city. Simulcast H is located on Thompson Peak is it not? The database seems to indicate that. We stay with one of my wife's brothers and his wife located very near Shea and Frank Lloyd Wright. I walk out the front door with Thompson Peak dominating the skyline. I think you are saying that if I program Simulcast H into my scanner I will hear the whole city from my brother in law's house.

When Scottsdale was on the Maricopa County system is was far easier to listen to all the Scottsdale agencies. I suppose they switched in order to be able to communicate with the city of Phoenix better. We used to stay at my father in law's place further south and things were not so complicated then. I don't recall what they were using before they joined the Maricopa County system, but I could hear every repeater. Did they have their own trunked system prior to joining the county system?

If changes occur for Scottsdale I hope someone will post a thread.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I programmed Thompson Peak into my scanner and as the OP indicated I only get the north PD channel. It is pretty inactive and I miss hearing the southern portion of the city. Simulcast H is located on Thompson Peak is it not? The database seems to indicate that.

Simulcast H is located on multiple transmit towers in and around Scottsdale to provide solid in building coverage around Scottsdale. Thompson Peak site is used for fill in coverage and backup site if there are issues with Simulcast H. Thopson Peak is currently active with Talkgroup 3402 Scottsdale PD2 as they have had coverage issue in North Scottsdale with Simulcast H. Tower locations for Simulcast H are shown in the links below.

WQJU870 (SCOTTSDALE, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details
WQJU871 (SCOTTSDALE, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details

If changes occur for Scottsdale I hope someone will post a thread.

Changes that jpolich7 mentioned include adding transmit tower for Simulcast H in North Scottsdale to fix coverage issues and adding a transmit tower around Paradise Valley to support PV joining the RWC. You will not have to change any scanner programming for these changes, but they may add even more multicast distortion that plagues scanner listeners for Simulcast sites.

SCPD

QRT
Sometimes my brain doesn't work as well as I want. I should have gotten the clue when I read the word "simulcast."

It is beginning to be difficult to listen to anything in metro areas. I'm not sure if it is worth it to buy a Phase II scanner just to listen to when I travel. I'm not sure it is worth trying to listen to the RWC given the problems people in Phoenix have reported with the system.

jpolich7

Premium Subscriber
Rare opportunity to hear most Scottsdale PD traffic this morning, from 7 a.m. May 11, 2915. Computer server is down, so all traffic is voice, not text, on PD1 and PD2.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I have both Thompson Peak and South Scottsdale programmed and while I mostly hear North Scottsdale I also hear South. I am in Tempe, though, so that might have something to do with it. I usually hear it when I'm driving around lookjng for the wild horses along the Salt River

seawolve1

This my not be the right area to post this however, I am getting back into scanning ( I still have my old Regency 10 channel crystal ) and I need assistance on what portable scanner model I need to listen to Scottsdale PD. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.