PRO-668 and the RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

InlandAZ

Has anyone successfully programmed in the RWC with a PRO-668? I live in Chandler, and the unit is dead as a door nail to just about all sites on the system.

And... how in the heck do you import encrypted channels on this POS? I've specified "enc" on the import tab, but none will load.

Last edited:

Cyberider

RWC on 668

I had trouble receiving what I wanted on the RWC when I loaded it from the library. I suspect it was because all sites were loaded into one system and it was locking on to a site that wasn't being used by the groups I wanted to listen to. Since I knew what sites the groups I wanted to listen to were coming from, I entered those sites manually and it was then hearing everything my other scanners were. The loading by zip code sounds like a neat feature but it really doesn't work that well in actual practice from what I've seen.

InlandAZ

I'm having a bit more luck today - however I do have a question. If I choose to add a specific set of sites, let's say "C" for Chandler and "F" for Tempe, does the scanner search all CC's that have been added to the system or will each be limited to the CC's that were defined when it was imported? I ask because as each site is added, the entire system (on the Trunked Radio System tab) is appended to. I can't tell which CC's are associated with each play list (I assign a specific play list for each site I import).

The other problem I have is importing encrypted TGID's, if I specify Add them (and lock them out) it adds sites that I haven't selected in the import. If I don't specify lock out, none appear.

I sure like the 106/197 Web import much better, there I can choose not only the Site and agency but also the service I want. This would be a lot easier if the software was improved.

Cyberider

I'm not sure if I follow you or what would happen if you did that. I just left everything that came in the library import where it was and after figuring out what was going on manually entered the sites that I could hear and that had the talk groups I wanted to listen to. I left the whole system in it's own playlist and put each of the separate sites in their own playlists. Maybe there's an easier way but this worked for me. I did not enter any encrypted talk groups because they just take up space and you can't copy them anyway.

Hope that helps. I'm no expert on it but did experience similar problems that you did at first. It seems like I had to backward engineer the library programming feature and do it the old-fashioned way to make it work the way I wanted it to. Maybe someone else will chime in with another solution.

Just FYI, I live in Tempe and listen to the FD K-deck on Simulcast C, Tempe PD on F, and light rail on South Mountain. When I'm at work on the SRPMIC rez, I use Thompson Peak for the light rail and Simulcast H for the FD, though the latter is less than satisfactory. I also like to listen to the SRPMIC FD which is Phase II from their Thompson Peak site.

InlandAZ

Basically when I setup my 96/106/197's I import specific CC's for each site in the RWC system, Chandler "C", Tempe, "F" etc... In doing so I've found that it scans each scan list much faster. There are drawbacks to the method, but it's worked quite well for me.

As I bring the sites into the 668, one at a time, I see the Trunked system grow but I have no idea if it's scanning the entire system, or just the original CC's specified from each import.

It's going to take a bit of time to figure out what the engineers that authored the software had in mind when they wrote it. Right now all I can tell you is, it's very confusing. The Starsoft programs work much better in this regard.

As to the encrypted stuff, I've found that choosing to import encrypted TGID's and specifying "do not assign a play list" does import them. Unfortunately it brings all kinds of other junk into the play list. Who knows, maybe it's a bug...

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Use the multi site settings to get where you want for reception on what control channels and you can also do like I have done out here which is create a system for each site.

I have my local sites in their own systems so it scans through each of the sites every time. Same for out of area sites when I'm mobile. They are in one scanlist but being separate systems get scanned through completely.

I find I don't like the options in the 668 software. Unlike my 600 which is the same as the 197 I can't select off or stat which means it does lock on a specific site rather than scan all sites from what I've seen.

I know "Off" worked best for me out in Phoenix on the 600 when I was in the area. It went through everything and my reception picked up enormously. Worked in other "Issue" systems like Indy too.

Unfortunately it doesn't have the option in the 668. Also play with the digital decode settings. I found by accident that setting mine at 100 for a simulcast system out here picks it up wonderfully while the default of 64 or the recommended 52 got me nothing at all.

InlandAZ

Use the multi site settings to get where you want for reception on what control channels and you can also do like I have done out here which is create a system for each site.

That would be my first instinct - it's what I do on my other scanners. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I tried duplicating the System, and importing a set of CC's but they always go to the "real" System. Is this something that has to be done manually?

Once again I state: Starrsoft rocks, this software blows :) (and I sure hope Don isn't the author)

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Go to trunking and hit duplicate X the number of sites you want. This will create copies of the main system you already have.

You are not importing anything.

Then go to the alpha tag area and rename each duplicated system to the site name or other name you want to help you identify which is which.

Then, and this is a pain in the butt, go into each of the duplicated systems and either delete or lock out all sites for each that you don't want.

That will leave you with each site in with its freqs scanning individually. If you want each site in its own scan list then apply what you want as you go. Other wise mark up a scan list as RWC Single Sites and put all the individual sites into it.

For me I have STARS out here which has 60 sites. Its means locking out or deleting 59 sites for every individual site I want on its own. There is no way I've found to mass delete sites or mass lock out sites.

Remember to UNcheck the "Update alpha tag" box when updating or every time you update the thing it will rename everything and screw it all up.

Maybe someone here has a simpler way of doing it but this is the only way I've found.

I've unchecked the main system so it doesn't scan everything and checked the "STARS Single Site" play list. It now scans each site in the "Single Site" list for traffic. Some of them I've deleted all sites but the one while others I've only locked out all but the one.

Attachments

• 668 Site info.jpg
    668 Site info.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 394
  • Single Site 668.jpg
    Single Site 668.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Try this file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jezb1bnwrw9vyi6/CDAT_VS.003_2015-09-02_22-28.zip?dl=0

I've set up the RWC in playlist 1 with all sites in it.

I've then set each site into its own system and placed each individual site into playlist 2 so it will scan all individual sites in the RWC in one playlist.

I've also placed each site into its own playlist in case you want to only scan certain sites by themselves or in tandem with each other.

Each playlist is named for the site in it.

Only playlist 2 is enabled in the file. You can adjust as you wish from there. I've not placed any other systems or frequencies into the thing so its only RWC.

I think I've done it up right but if it opens with anything other than the Phoenix TRS then go into "Open V-Scanner" and select VS-3 which should say Phoenix TRS and you should be set to send to radio.

Hope this will be helpful to you.

InlandAZ

Thanks guys - I've got it up and running. Personally, I'm blaming the issue on the software. I had to uninstall and reinstall it (in Admin mode) and now, for whatever reason, the scanner is working perfectly.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Reading over this I had a few thoughts. You can't program in a "site" on the RWC because it's a simulcast system, with all sites using the same frequencies for a given simulcast (B, C, etc.). I put each simulcast into it's own system. I then create play lists based on what I want to hear, like Tempe PD, Phoenix PD, etc., by tagging things within systems to the play list that I want. On the next level I use play sets like "East Valley PD" or "Home Standard", etc.

But it would be very easy to also create play lists, one per simulcast, with all talk groups active for that simulcast / play list. Then you could have a play set for RWC where you can easily go in and enable / disable play lists.

To me that's where this scanner has more flexibility than any other. You have more layers to create combinations with, and with two hundred (I think) play lists and twenty play sets, the possibilities are great. I use about 100 play lists, and all 20 play sets for the valley. One play set is called "temp" where I can go in and just monkey around, enabling / disabling whatever play lists I feel like at any time. I can always go back to my more fixed play sets which I don't change play lists on a whole bunch.

For MCSO I have an "all sites" system / play list with all county sites for traveling around, but I also have individual systems / play lists for several individual sites, so I can easily be selective. I just created the "all sites" system first, then copied that system several times deleting the sites I didn't want each time, no need to re-enter control frequencies. As was mentioned it is for sure faster to just scan the site(s) you need, so usually I dial it into one site.

I know that most of us have used the 800 mhz RS antenna at one time or the other and I've found it only makes a marginal difference on some scanners, but for whatever reason it makes a world of difference on the 668 from what I've seen...just in case you haven't tried that yet.

Last edited:

InlandAZ

Yep, the 800 MHz antenna is a must with this scanner. I've tried several things to improve the listening experience, unfortunately none of them have worked well. My other scanners run circles around it on the RWC.

For whatever reason the 668 is far worse when it comes to simulcast distortion.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Yep, the 800 MHz antenna is a must with this scanner. I've tried several things to improve the listening experience, unfortunately none of them have worked well. My other scanners run circles around it on the RWC.

For whatever reason the 668 is far worse when it comes to simulcast distortion.

I absolutely believe you, but the amazing thing is how different scanners work differently for different people in different situations. Mine works awesome on RWC...best ever on PPD and I've use all the digital scanners from Uniden and GRE in the past...this works even better than the PSR-800, its forefather. The "distortion" is still an issue, but it does well overall. Every scanner has that issue as I'm sure you know all too well, but mileage varies with different folks and locations for sure. That's why I laugh when people get into fights over Uniden vs. GRE, etc. Mileage varies for everyone. The only sure thing I can say is the GRE type scanners have a more "real" sounding audio with P25....most do agree on that. Sorry to hear you are having a bad time with yours. You can always try the good old PSR-500 / PRO-106...those things seem to do well with digital....though they will still have "the issue".

InlandAZ

The interesting thing is, my PRO-106 & 197 rarely have any distortion at all. The only reason I picked up the 668 was to have something in the wings for phase II. I'll definitely keep it around, hopefully I can find some combination of DSP settings and antenna setup that corrects the problem.

It be nice if the "engineers" documented the specific issues that are corrected (or made worse) by adjusting the DSP settings. So far I've run the gamut with them and have observed no noticeable improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.