Buckeye PD ch 1 on White Tanks IR - encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

I just ran across TG 4201 on the White Tanks IR. That's Buckeye PD Ch 1, and it's encrypted.

I can't receive Simulcast J here at home. Can anyone comment on whether they're using encryption on J as well?

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

TG 4202, Buckeye PD ch 2, is also now encrypted on the White Tanks IR.

TG 4210, which I have to assume is BPD ch 10, has been encrypted since they joined the RWC.

It sets a bad precedent, when they encrypt their main dispatch channel. I can see car-to-car, tacs, detectives, SWAT, even the info channel being encrypted. But encrypting their main dispatch channel is wrong.

John
Peoria

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Sad. There is no good reason to encrypt a dispatch talk group. The only reason I can't think of is to keep media, and by extension the public, from knowing what you are doing at all. And why does a police department, operating within the law need to do that? They don't. Some will say it's their system, their right to do it, and of course that's true. That doesn't keep it from feeling a little odd. Unless some suit is brought at some point that eventually forces LE agencies to keep their dispatches free and clear, this trend will only continue until everything is encrypted. Not only would the suit have difficult time being won, it probably won't ever happen anyway. Scanner people just need to enjoy what is left while it is still there...my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.