Return to scanning - please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7RTM

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, long time radio geek here, AZ native, grew up in Tempe. Some of the scanners I can remember owning were:
Pro-34
Pro-2006 << What a rig!
And my BELOVED Pro-43! I used to scan the Tempe PD trunked system with it by locking out the control channel (?) when it changed every day or whatever it was. SWFD was my bible for a long time.

Man I loved Monitoring Phoenix and Mesa PD on the weekends, listening to the Phx firebird ‘copters chase people all over. So much better than TV.

When the digital stuff came out, I lost interest, thinking I would not be able to hear the juicy traffic as before due to encryption, not to mention the audio was horrible. I then moved more to the Amateur radio side of things while continuing to monitor 2m traffic. Mostly Mesa PD channel 5 chase - I cried when it went away.. The fire departments, 154.190, Rural Metro etc were fun as well.

I so much miss scanning and want to get back into it.

My question is: is all the “fun” and interesting traffic encrypted?

I don’t want to invest into a new scanner, take the time learning the new ropes and only be able to hear traffic stops and rolling 28’s. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! If there is still interesting traffic to be heard, what scanner do you guys recommend for the Phoenix metro area? Looking forward to hearing back from you guys,
Tim
K7RTM

K7RTM

Premium Subscriber
Click on the Databases tab at the top of the page and find the system you want to hear and look at the Mode column. If it shows an "E" it is encrypted.

Thank you sir! *edit. Looks like all the good stuff is gone, so sad.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

MCSO has very little encryption, at least on the current county radio system. The county is supposed to be setting up a new system, and it is only speculation right now as to how much of the Sheriff's communications will be encrypted.
DPS can be interesting at times with chases and wrong way drivers. And Firebird frequently assists them.
I can't speak for Tempe, Mesa, et al, but not all of Peoria's hot traffic goes to their encrypted channel. Sometimes it stays on channel 1, in the clear.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.