Mystery Box on utility pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Department of Homeland Security grant money. That's where the money came from. But the agency? Who knows now that it has been taken down..

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The link goes on with a video update, saying that the ATF owns the box. No further information.

mm

WTF, ATF=alcohol firearms and explosives?

typical dumb reporter who's brain is fried from Valley of the Sun heat.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
WTF, ATF=alcohol firearms and explosives?

typical dumb reporter who's brain is fried from Valley of the Sun heat.

Actually, she wasn't too far off. They added "explosives" to their responsibility some time ago. She left out the Tobacco part.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
https://www.atf.gov/

Hans13

"ATF spokesman Thomas Mangan says the agency cannot give more details on the use of the box, but he did say they are not using it to investigate Clegg."

Gunshot sensor? Explosives sniffer?

Hooligan

What an ***! He says he doesn't think they were watching him, but is upset that whoever put the covert surveillance camera there didn't have the "courtesy" to let him know!

The Missing Link then goes on to postulate that if "they" want to encourage public safety, "they" need to [somehow] "get the public involved in public safety."

It'd be great karma if it turns out the BATFE was using it to watch a neighboring house thought to be involved in the illegal production of explosives, and the house blows-up, turning Clegg into pulp.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
SRP tells ABC15 they had no idea the box was installed on their power pole. They said ATF has to notify them or work with them if they have an object on their property.

Like ATF is going to do that. :roll:

ecps92

Always has been the Federal Agencies policies to work with the local Utility (Generally Corporate Security)

Sadly not always a good policy when dealing with FORMER "BAD" actors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Connolly_(FBI)
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...n-executive/jtMwaZiCYZthQFVLtgQDcK/story.html

Always wondered how many cases went down the poop-shoot due to him working in Private Industry

SRP tells ABC15 they had no idea the box was installed on their power pole. They said ATF has to notify them or work with them if they have an object on their property.

Like ATF is going to do that. :roll:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms sounds more like a southern convenience store than a government agency.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
Yes maybe Shot Spotter?

Yes they did get an update as to that it belongs to ATF. I just posted on the story wondering aloud if it was a Shot Spotter, I do not know if those are owned/run by ATF or the local PD? Either way, wouldn't one feel MORE safe if law enforcement were surveilling the area? I mean, people complain they don't get enough police in their area, then when they do- they complain.

Guy is a troublemaker in my book. Frankly I wish he would have kept quiet on the issue, IMO.
Mystery solved! Box on Phoenix utility pole belongs to ATF - ABC15 Arizona

SCPD

QRT
Lol know what it is. It does not surprise me it was placed without informing the utility company. This can happen depending on a couple circumstances.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
There are all kinds of cameras out there. How many businesses and homes have cameras installed. It shouldn't be that big a deal.

If a service station gets robbed, the police will check the station's cameras, the convenience store across the street, the bakery two doors down and whatever others they can find. I'm reasonably sure that not a single business there got the public's approval before they installed their cameras.

Next time, the ATF should disguise it as a transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.