Sky Harbor Tower/App/Depart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrl

Curious if anyone out west glendale/peoria area able to pick up the Sky harbor tower?

Trying to figure out what it will take if possible before I invest to much in it. I have a radio shack 20-176 antenna and one of the ocfd dipoles from the homebrew plans here in my attic. Not picking it up with either. I know neither of these are great for airband. Just wondering before I buy/build something if it will be a waste of time.

If your out this way and can recieve the tower/app/dep, give me an idea of your antenna setup/height if possible.

KB7MIB

You'll be able to hear the aircraft on approach and departure, but I'm not sure about on the tower frequency.
I seriously doubt you will be able to hear the controllers in the tower, even with a Yagi, we're just too far from it.

John
Peoria

rwier

You'll be able to hear the aircraft on approach and departure, but I'm not sure about on the tower frequency.
I seriously doubt you will be able to hear the controllers in the tower, even with a Yagi, we're just too far from it.

John
Peoria

Agree with John. A dozen airports in three states, and using a roof antenna on a vehicle, tower chat starts coming in at three to five miles distance. Line of sight (top of South Mountains) probably picks up 8-10 Valley towers.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Have you tried a simple FM Trap ?

I use that when I am home or travelling on the road. It gets rid of any strong interfering FM signals. You'd be surprised how much garbage interferes with the AM signal.

I complained to a friend about poor reception of the Tucson airport. We stuck a short cable and and FM trap in between my hand held antenna and my handheld scanner. Et voila ! I was picking up the ATIS signal strong and crystal clear inside the Village Inn.

Your mileage may vary, but it's worth about $5.00 to see if it can work for you. They don't typically come with connectors, so you'll have to purchase the needed connectors/adapters to use with your current cable connections.

ctrl

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured, im probably just to far away.

Haven't tried an FM trap. Maybe ill give it a shot. Thanks for the idea. I'll just get my antennas outdoors first and go from there.

I haven't listened to the radios in 5 years, just getting back into it again and was curious if anyone was able to get anything this far out. I'm close enough to get glendale tower and that is good enough I suppose.

KB7MIB

You should also be able to get Luke AFB, and the RAPCON frequencies, as well as 120.700 which is an approach frequency for Sky Harbor in the West Valley.
You should also be able to get at least the aircraft for Deer Valley and Phoenix-Goodyear airports, although I doubt you'll hear the controllers.

John
Peoria

ctrl

Yeah I believe I can get luke also from here-not my main interest really though. So far I havent been able to pick up any 2-way transmissions on the approach frequency's. Actually the only two way that I hear is glendale tower/luke.

Status
Not open for further replies.