Which Whistler to get to listen to Mesa PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
I am torn between the Whistler WS1040 and the WS1080. The biggest difference is that I can see is the 1080 has Phase I &II. I want something that is going to last me a while and am wanting to listen to east valley agencies. I am upgrading from an analog Pro-95. I have been a scanner listener on and off for the last 25 years, and I am not gonna lie, these digital trunking systems have me stumped! I appreciate any feedback that any of you may have, thanks a million!

MORSEMAN

Premium Subscriber
I live in Mesa. I don’t have any experience with the Whistler’s but I do have 2 GRE PSR800’s and a BCD436HP and BCD536HP. My own experience here is that the Uniden 436 and 536 significantly out perform the PSR800’s in my location on the TOPAZ system.
In addition using Uniden Sentinel and supplementing it with Butel ARC536 is a significant step up from being confined with the EZSCAN software. There are plusses and minuses to both but I like the feature set combination of Sentinel and ARC536 better.

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Thats funny you say that, because the other scanner that is on my short list is the BCD436HP. One thing I am liking about the Whistler is the DMR upgrade for it is free, if I am not mistaken, I believe Uniden is $50. I will take a look at the 436 again. I appreciate your feedback, i am looking for real feedback from users in my area. Thanks!

kmi8dy

my opinion only

*i also live in mesa about 6 months at a time and i use the bcd996p2. its around 150 $ to 200 $ cheaper (depending were you buy ) then the bcd536hp. the 996p2 does everything that the bcd536hp does except for allot of the extream bells and whistles that i would not use anyway. for alott of people the 536 and the 436(handheld) are very difficult to program. also the 996p2 ( or the bcd325p2 handheld ) can be programmed with free software called " free scan ". you download it from the internet for free. as far as im concerned its the best software to use. in my opinion. i know that some people will disagree with what i have said, but more will agree with what i have said. ive been listening for over 50 years since around 1960 or so. but anyway these are my opinions and my opinions only. just make sure you read everything about every scanner you can before you spend your hard earned money then be disapointed with what you purchased.

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate your opinion(s)

I am not partial to one brand or another, I am just looking to get a scanner that I can keep for quite a few years in the valley. I appreciate talking about other brands, this kind of keeps it personal and local to the radio scene here in the valley. I have read numerous articles about the different top of the line scanners, but they don't address the valley. Sorry my posts are taking a while to post, all of my replies must be approved by a moderator. Which is a good thing, I will have my reputation up here soon so they replies will be quicker, thanks!!!

kmi8dy

how can a scanner maker talk about each and every " burg " in the entire united states and canada. or for that matter different areas in mesa, what you have to look at is the radio systems in use in the places you want to hear. you have heard from two of us and both of us are informing you that uniden is the way to go, and there will be more. so what you have to ask yourself is why uniden sells 10 times the amount ( if not more ) of any other scanner company. i own a house on south mesa drive, south of the "60". i have had no problems picking up EVERYTHING. i've had uniden scanners since the days when they bought out bearcat. and before that i bought only bearcat. yes i have purchased other brands of scanners, but have always returned to either bearcat or uniden. i guess you could call me a scanner-a-holic. end of story. oh, one more thing, i have never had a uniden scanner " go bad ". ok i've said my peace, good luck, have fun.

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Haha, every scanner maker is the best.....JUST ASK THEM!! I truly appreciate the time you guys have taken to respond, I do not doubt for a second that Uniden is awesome, they were back in the 80's and 90's also with their CB's, radar detectors and scanners. I love the feedback, because I won't lie, I have never dropped $400+ on a scanner, never had to until Digital Trunked systems came into play, so this is a big decision I have to make. I am 99% sure I am going to end up with the BCS436HP, it looks like the ticket!!! Thanks again!!

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Hey Morph, I have the 436 and it works just fine for Mesa. Once you figure out how to use it, it's actually pretty simple. Only word of advice to keep it as un-frustrating as possible: forget whatever you know about how these things work and start over!

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Sweet!! That really seems to be the ticket with this digital trunking stuff. Let me tell you this, I have never used a computer to program a scanner, so I will be starting from the ground up as a newbie, which hopefully will benefit me. I don't get frustrated easily and am pretty stubborn.... so hopefully that will help me. On top of that, I am a Mac user and none of these programs seem to be Mac OS friendly, so that will be another obstacle I will overcome...HAHA!! After all they are just electronic devices.....right :/

KB7MIB

how can a scanner maker talk about each and every " burg " in the entire united states and canada. or for that matter different areas in mesa....

Apparantly, there aren't many articles or online reviews written by Arizona residents, let alone those who live here in the Phoenix Valley, so the only place to get first hand info on how well various makes and models of scanners work here with the RWC and TOPAZ RWC systems is to come to this forum.
You won't find the info on manufacturers websites. You won't find the info on dealer websites. You won't find the info on 3rd party websites, such as hobbyist magazines (not that Pop' Comm' or MT exist anymore). Just here.
That's what he was referring to.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

Morphine, there is also Whistler's newest models, the TRX-1 and TRX-2.
I don't know if anyone in the Valley has either, yet though, so I don't know how well they work compared to the other GRE/Whistler models, or the Unidens.

John
Peoria

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
KB7MIB, I did look at the TRX-1, it looks like it was just released in June or July, and looks extremely SWEET! I am trying to decide if I want to fork out the extra $100-$150 to have the latest and greatest. I have been a member of this site since 2012, but just really started navigating it and checked out the forums for the first time yesterday, and made my 1st post then. I definitely struck pay dirt when I found that there is an AZ forum. I want to hear from real unbiased users of these products in our local area. You all have been GREAT!! And extremely helpful!! I am all ears at this point and someday hopefully will get to a point where I can also help out the new guy.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I don't live in Phoenix but my daughter did (just returned to LA after 5 years there) so I had my 436HP, 536HP, and WS-1080 over there a lot (near 22nd East and Camelback) over a 5-year period. The TRX-1 and 2 were not out then, but the EZ-Scan software is basically the same.
I found the WS-1080 to be a PITA to program multiple sites here in LA as well as on RWC. TOPAZ, and Maricopa Cty TRS in Phoenix. The 436HP/536HP are much easier to program multiple sites with any given trunking system in my opinion with the use of quick keys. Just program each site as a Department QK 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 etc, and very easy to turn on/off mutliple sites, especially on RWC and Maricopa Cty TRS.
I always found the x36HPs to be relatively easy to set up. The decode quality on RWC and TOPAZ was usually excellent. I have had the TRX-1 and TRX-2 now for about 5 weeks. They are good scanners, but greater than the 436 and 536, I don't think so. For weak signal work, the TRX-1 does perform better on some VHF/UHF than the 436HP on a duck antenna. One you go to a better outside antenna, I find any advantages of the TRXs outweighed by the x36HPs because of available 3rd party software, easier replay, more informative display, and the GPS features.
Also, I find the Unidens actually still better on 800 Mhz trunking systems than the TRXs. And in Phoenix, you are talking a lot 800 Mhz trunking with RWC and Maricopa Cty. Just providing another opinion for you Morphine to consider when selecting a scanner.
BTW: Also had my 996P2 scanner out there couple of times with very good results.

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Doc for the great feedback (i take it MD=Dr.) Its the real users that have used these in the valley that I am looking to hear from. I just need to find who has the best deal on the 436. I also appreciate the feedback on the software as well. Like I said earlier, this is going to be the first scanner I will have to hook to a computer.....Isn't technology great...... Thanks!!!

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
Well, I just ordered the BCD436HP, I am super excited and hope it will be here on friday or saturday!!! Thanks for all your help, i will probably be on here asking questions once it arrives, haha.

kmi8dy

i'm sure you will. like i said the 436 and the 536 are very hard to program. i ordered the 536 several months ago from amazon and i sent it back, because i could not program it, and i have alott of years doing this. have fun.

Morphine

Premium Subscriber
I have been studying up on it. I will for surely use the software. It will be here on Tues. $419 shipped no tax was the best I could find. I am excited, thank you all for your feedback. As you can tell by the title of this post, my mind was changed......sorry Whistler, maybe next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.