RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 12:54 AM

Default State of Arizona mobile communications center

Hello everybody, I recently saw a Arizona mobile communications center in Kingman a couple days ago. I was wondering how, and when these systems are used and if they use a specific set of frequencies. It also had the mohave county seal on the side of it so I am guessing it is based around here somewhere, but this is the first time i've seen it. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am a little curious about them.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2017, 2:01 AM
AZ DB Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

You probably saw one of the mobile State / County EOC mobiles. They fall under the Arizona DEMA folks.

They do comm checks on Wednesdays at 10am on the APS Trunk system, followed by a test on the VHF channels. HF is also performed, but I've never heard them.

Arizona Public Service Corporation Trunking System, Various, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies
Arizona Division of Emergency Management Talkgroups

Arizona Division of Emergency Management Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Old 03-09-2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANO View Post
You probably saw one of the mobile State / County EOC mobiles. They fall under the Arizona DEMA folks.

They do comm checks on Wednesdays at 10am on the APS Trunk system, followed by a test on the VHF channels. HF is also performed, but I've never heard them.

Arizona Public Service Corporation Trunking System, Various, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies
Arizona Division of Emergency Management Talkgroups

Arizona Division of Emergency Management Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Yes, this is what I saw. So when they are being used at an incident they are using the frequencies under the systems you provided?
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2017, 2:20 PM

That is what I saw Bill.
Old 03-09-2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH1 View Post
Yes, this is what I saw. So when they are being used at an incident they are using the frequencies under the systems you provided?
That is what I saw to. Not the same location though. Thanks Flano, I think you answered my question.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2017, 6:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

There are four of these small communications vans in Arizona and they utilize the tactical callsigns of Toad 1 thru 4. They often participate in disaster exercises and real world situations anywhere in the State. They can do HF, VHF, UHF, and 700/800 and have the capability of patching different frequencies together so agencies can easily talk to one another while working an operation of mutual interest. The one in Phoenix is a large motor home with the callsign of Bullfrog.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:10 PM

What is the origin of the unit designators "Toad" and "Bullfrog?" Seems a little odd.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMONITOR View Post
There are four of these small communications vans in Arizona and they utilize the tactical callsigns of Toad 1 thru 4. They often participate in disaster exercises and real world situations anywhere in the State. They can do HF, VHF, UHF, and 700/800 and have the capability of patching different frequencies together so agencies can easily talk to one another while working an operation of mutual interest. The one in Phoenix is a large motor home with the callsign of Bullfrog.
That makes sense, but the callsigns are a little strange. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

https://dema.az.gov/emergency-manage.../news/bullfrog

John
Peoria
Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANO View Post
HF is also performed, but I've never heard them.
They participate in SHARES Region IX weekly radio nets. I don't know what the frequencies are.

https://dema.az.gov/emergency-manage...cation-systems

John
Peoria
Old 03-13-2017, 2:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So, I left a comment on DEMA's Facebook page, asking why they chose the callsigns they did, such as Bullfrog, Toad, Roadrunner, Dogpound, etc. (Under their story of assisting with communications during the inauguration.)

If I get an answer, I'll share it.

John
Peoria
Old 03-13-2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
So, I left a comment on DEMA's Facebook page, asking why they chose the callsigns they did, such as Bullfrog, Toad, Roadrunner, Dogpound, etc. (Under their story of assisting with communications during the inauguration.)

If I get an answer, I'll share it.

John
Peoria
Thanks for doing this. When I was reading DEMA website they mentioned they had trailers, which they called "Tadpoles." I find this selection of designators very strange.
Old 03-15-2017, 7:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So, the first mobile communications vehicle was named the "Toad" because it appeared to be fat and wide, like a toad. The other vehicle callsigns followed suit, being named after various Arizona animals.

The communications trailer, being smaller than the Toad vans, became "Tadpole".
The RV, being bigger than the Toad vans, became "Bullfrog", as a bullfrog is bigger than a typical toad. Etc.

John
Peoria