Glendale PD A4 - Anyone Hearing It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I have tried multiple scanners, my Unication G4, etc., but I am just not hearing traffic on that channel. I know they sometimes patch A1 and A4 together, but A1 which is very active has no calls involving anything north of Northern Avenue being dispatched or discussed. There are TONS of encrypted TGs on simulcast G, so I'm wondering if they for some odd reason switched North Glendale traffic to an encrypted talk group. I sure hope not as that's my area. I have not heard anything relating to North Glendale on any unencrypted TG in the Glendale list lately.

?

KB7MIB

I've seen comments in the past that Glendale does a lot of "silent dispatching" over the MDC's. Only hot traffic gets voiced.
Maybe there aren't that many priority 1 calls north of Orangewood Ave, which is the border between North and South?

John
Peoria

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I've seen comments in the past that Glendale does a lot of "silent dispatching" over the MDC's. Only hot traffic gets voiced.
Maybe there aren't that many priority 1 calls north of Orangewood Ave, which is the border between North and South?

John
Peoria

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing..but just found out the problem is specific to my G4 unfortunately. Once I got close enough to the main site today my 436 picked it up. You are right though, there isn't much crime in North Glendale where I live, and not much radio traffic.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Someone in the Unication forum brought up an interesting possibility that I didn't check for, but need to check out. Could it be that just this one TG has gone phase 2 for testing purposes? I didn't think to check for that, but I'm going to. The 436 would pick that up, but the G4 (no phase 2 yet) wouldn't. I'll have to drive back over near the main site and check this evening.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to give an update, someone in the Unication forum correctly pointed out that my RFSS for that system was wrong. Strange because all other TG's worked, but that was the issue making ONE TG not work.

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
KR7CQ

I cannot get any Glendale traffic at all! I am at 101 and union hills. Once in a blue moon my SDR setup will log it but nothing on a 1080 scanner. Any tips?

KB7MIB

A directional antenna, properly aimed (which isn't necessarily directly at the nearest site), should help you to at least reduce, if not eliminate, the multi-path issues from the linear simulcast modulation (LSM, or simply, simulcast) that is used by the RWC, as well as by the TOPAZ RWC in the East Valley.

Obviously, this will only work with a home setup, and will not work with portable/mobile use.

For portable/mobile listening, you may have to invest in a Unication G4 or G5 pager, which has a receiver that is much closer to professional grade than any Uniden or GRE/Whistler scanner has. Apparently, even your SDR is having issues with the simulcast system.

John
Peoria

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
Hey John!

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I have only a 20 buck **** pair of antennas for the SDR. I am working on that side. However I am mobile 90 percent of the time. So I would love to find this fix out. Also a side note RR now has a Peoria feed!! SO cool I have 2 cell phones and use that one in the car blue tooth to my radio and its like a crystal clear scanner!

I just posted up a pro 668 that I am gonna sale on here or ebay. So anyone wanting it hit me up! That G4 is getting closer!!!

KB7MIB

I typically monitor Peoria PD via the White Tanks and Towers Mtn IR sites, so there are no simulcast issues listening to them like I would have trying to hear them via Simulcast G. Surprise PD is also monitorable via the White Tanks IR site.
I wish I could afford a G4, or that Uniden or Whistler had a scanner that properly handled simulcast so that I could hear all of the other agencies on Simulcast G: Phoenix PD 200/800/900, Glendale PD, El Mirage PD, Tolleson PD, Avondale PD, Goodyear PD, and the Phoenix FD RDC K-deck TG's. (K-1 and K-6 can sometimes be heard on the Towers Mtn IR site thanks to North County and Surprise FD radios affiliating with that site. K-2 can be heard on the White Tanks and Thompson Peak IR sites.)

John
Peoria

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
John

No matter who i beg barter or steal from I can NEVER ever pick up a signal for Avondale. Goodyear is encrypted I believe.

I have drove everywhere in the city to try and monitor Avondale... No dice. Its like Glendale and Avondale are my nemesis.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
You guys need a G4/5, seriously. And I totally understand saving pennies for a while to get a new toy, really I do. I'm at about Bell and 51st Ave., and simulcast g is a "no go" with any of my scanners. Keep in mind, that the x36 Uniden scanners are by far and away the best simulcast scanners, but still, simulcast g is a "no go" with them too. The main reason I bought a G4 is to monitor Glendale PD at home, and the G4 monitors Simulcast G perfectly, just sitting wherever, in my home, or even driving around in my car. I could lay it horizontally on the floor at home or in the car, and it's still perfect.

I paid about $550 just to hear my local PD (pretty sad right?). Anyway, other than simulcast g, the x36 scanners do an amazing job, and I love them, but I MUST have my unication!

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
I am so glad i didnt get the g4 or 5. I am desperately awaiting the new uniden s100 I am hoping that is the end all be all scanner!

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I am so glad i didnt get the g4 or 5. I am desperately awaiting the new uniden s100 I am hoping that is the end all be all scanner!

I will purchase a SDS 100 the first day it's available for sale. In the meantime I'm glad I can listen to my own city's police department, something no scanner can yet do. I will loose a little on depreciation when I sell it, but I consider it to be renting something that worked...and I got to play with a new toy so it's all good. Some volunteer fire fighter will give it a proper home once the SDS 100 comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.