What channel to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eguterac

Premium Subscriber
I usually listen to DPS S, W, C and E. Noticed there all in Mesa, Chandler and even Paradise Valley.

I've been looking for the channel that covers I-10 East and West. What channel would that be? I would like to hear if anything is going on while I'm driving to work. My route is taking the I-10 from Queen Creek all the way to I-17 getting off on 19th Ave.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

eguterac

Premium Subscriber
How does one use this map you provided?

So I'm assuming that at work I'm within FID 10 Metro Center by looking at the map. Is there a channel in my scanner under Department Public Safety that will say FID 10?

KB7MIB

I don't see anything on the map saying FID 10.

The map is zoomable. You can zoom in or out on it.

Your scanner, if it has alpha tags, will say whatever has been programmed into the alpha tag.

John
Peoria

eguterac

Premium Subscriber
I think I'm understanding it a bit. So right now I do have DPS channels on my scanner. So I would want to listen to DPS South heading home and then right about getting onto I-17 towards 19th Ave I want to go to DPS Central . I'm right?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
For you, heading home would be:
I-17 19th ave to I-10 transition = Metro Central
I-10 from I-17 transition to US60 = Metro East
I-10 from US60 to Queen Creek Rd = Metro South

eguterac

Premium Subscriber
Would you happen to have an example how it would look like on a scanner?

eguterac

Premium Subscriber
For you, heading home would be:
I-17 19th ave to I-10 transition = Metro Central
I-10 from I-17 transition to US60 = Metro East
I-10 from US60 to Queen Creek Rd = Metro South

Okay I see now, I looked at the Arizona Dept of Public and found out what you meant. Thank you all for the useful info!

Phoenix805

Would you happen to have an example how it would look like on a scanner?

That depends on what was programmed into the scanner. On most scanners (not sure about your specific one) you can program in any text you want. It might be very generic (ie: DPS) or something maybe more descriptive but not necessarily helpful (ie: DPS ch1) or ideally something helpful (ie: DPS Metro South). On some scanners (particularly older models) it might say nothing other than the scanner channel number which is no help at all unless you memorize who's on which channel.

KB7MIB

According to another post, he has a BCT15X (it has alpha tagging) that was programmed by Arizona Two Way.

What your scanner will show is entirely dependent upon how Arizona Two Way programmed it.

John
Peoria

eguterac

Premium Subscriber
Correct.

I actually finally figured it. Sucks that I cant hear PHX PD or TEMPE PD but oh well.

Thanks everyone!

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Correct.

I actually finally figured it. Sucks that I cant hear PHX PD or TEMPE PD but oh well.

Thanks everyone!

DPS is interesting stuff though, at least you have that for now. Do keep in mind that DPS is transitioning to the AZ WINS P25 system...their detectives are mostly on there already. It's just a matter of time before DPS has also moved fully into the digital world...it is the way of the future. Also keep in mind that no digital scanner made today will properly monitor PPD or TPD on the move anyway, as no scanner currently made monitors simulcast well. At this point only a commercial radio or a Unication G4/5 will do that. On a good note the DPS system is not simulcast, so a digital scanner will monitor that system on the move.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Correct.

Thanks everyone!

DPS is interesting stuff though, at least you have that for now. Do keep in mind that DPS is transitioning to the AZ WINS P25 system...their detectives are mostly on there already. It's just a matter of time before DPS has also moved fully into the digital world...it is the way of the future. Also keep in mind that no digital scanner made today will properly monitor PPD or TPD on the move anyway, as no scanner currently made monitors simulcast well. At this point only a commercial radio or a Unication G4/5 will do that. On a good note the DPS system is not simulcast, so a digital scanner will monitor that system on the move. Plus you have the cable run, the mount there, the power there, etc., so moving a digital scanner into that position at some point would be easy now, and the BCT15X is great for analog monitoring, including VHF fire (not going away soon), civilian and military aircraft, and would mate well to an outdoor antenna at some point in the future, just thinking ahead.

Phoenix805

Looks like DPS restructured their districts and added Metro South since the last time I updated my info. I'm assuming Central, East, and West are still using the same frequencies, what is Metro South using?

KB7MIB

Looks like DPS restructured their districts and added Metro South since the last time I updated my info. I'm assuming Central, East, and West are still using the same frequencies, what is Metro South using?

Officially, one of the old CI channels has been designated for their use.
460.275 (100.0 Hz)

However, I think you'll frequently hear them on Metro East, most likely due to a shortage of dispatchers. Someone else may be able to confirm this. I don't normally listen to Metro East or Metro South, unless I'm on their sections of freeway.

John
Peoria

rakotter

Feed Provider
DPS Dispatcher Shortage

DPS East and South will sometimes combine

DPS South or Officially DPS District 16 on Freq.465.275
DPS East or Officially DPS District 13 on Freq.465.2

At times when they do not have enough staff, both channels combine and one dispatcher will cover both and the two frequencies will relay. This happens often on the CID channels as well.
This usually happens during the least busiest times, almost always they will be separate during morning and evening rush hour.

If you set your system up and end up getting a digital P25 scanner, you can program in most local PD's (except for Salt River , they are completely encrypted)

For example, I have 3 scanners, 2 non digital and 1 P25 (BCD996P2), the other day dispatch on DPS District 11 Globe recieved a call on for a motorcycle accident off of the 87 neer Sycamore Creek, they then called for District 13 to cover, next on the fire channel you could hear the dispatch for FD to be 10-19. Shortly after they called in MCSO because it was off road in the desert. You can hear MCSO East Valley request a lift and shortly after, Helo was being launched. So with the digital and analog scanners going, it was some good listening to hear all the traffic with the different agencies.
Same happens with felony chases or searches, then you get all this and most agencies switch to G deck on Interop G1

Good stuff

KB7MIB

They're 460.275 and 460.200.
465 is the mobile input to the repeaters.

The Salt River, Gila River and Ft. McDowell Indian police are all fully encrypted.
Buckeye PD is also fully encrypted.
Goodyear PD may or may not be fully encrypted. The DB shows them to have 2 dispatch TG's. The alternate being clear and the main one being encrypted. Since they're on Simulcasts G and J (and B?), and I don't have a directional antenna to properly receive the simulcast sites, or a Unication pager, I cannot confirm whether or not you can listen to Goodyear PD dispatch.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.