AWIN (ASP P25 system) Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

The Arkansas State Police is converting to a P25 digital system named Arkansas Wireless Information Network or AWIN. All troops except G and C have converted to the new system. For frequenices and talkgroups check the database

Currently there are several users on the system including, ASP, Arkansas Dept. of Emergency Management (ADEM), E.A.S.I Ambulance Service, Governor Security, Dept. of Corrections, Carroll and Benton County EMS, Phillips County SO, Stone County SO, Sebastian County, Union County (has access to F dispatch), and Washington County. There will be many others joining the system in the future.

The only scanners that can monitor AWIN are as follows:

Radio Shack Pro-96 and Pro 2096

Uniden BC296D, BC796D, BCD396T, and upcoming BCD996T. NOTE: The BC250D and BC785D will NOT track the AWIN system.

This site is great for information as well as the database here. I also have a scanningarkansas Yahoo Group that I post updates on that you are welcome to join and a scanningarkansas website that also has updates not only to AWIN but has scanner and radio reviews, LATIE (Louisana State Police new system) updates and others that you can check out on the site.

If you know of any updates to AWIN, please post to this thread or submit to the database. The new system operates differently than the old analog system. You may hear various troops from you location that you did not hear before. This is because if a user associated with another troop enters your troop (the tower you are monitoring) then you will hear the user's home troop traffic. For instance if a trooper from troop F travels to Troop A, then Troop A scanner listeners may hear Troop F traffic while that trooper is associated with the tower you are monitoring. Also here in most troops power output of the repeaters have been increased from 35 watts on the analog system to 150 watts on the new AWIN system. This gives these troops increased coverage. Where I could only pick up one tower on the old system, I now can pick up 2 to 3 and sometimes 4 towers from the same location.

The new system is not without it's problems. Medics using the troop F towers say thier reception is far less than what was expected. It is rumored that technicians from Motorola have told some users that because of the pine needles on trees here in South Arkansas the system isn't performing as designed. Supposedly the pine needles are absorbing the signal. As I said, that is the rumor I heard and don't know if that is actual fact or not. Audio on the new system fluctuates. The dispatch will be BOOMING loud and you can barely hear troopers. This is more than the scanner because troopers have complained that they have to turn the volume up to hear other troopers but the dispatch blows them out of the car.

The radios installed on the new system are capable of handling 800 and 700 frequencies. Supposedly in the future, if towers or frequencies are added to AWIN, they will likely be 700 mHz frequencies. I'm not absolutely positive but the BCD396T and BCD996T are the only scanners that can handle these 700 mHz frequencies. But could be wrong.

This is a brand new system, they started the change over in the first months of 2005 and should be complete before February 2006. Maybe after all troops are converted to AWIN we will see a better system. You can check out AWIN online although the site is rarely updated so information may be weeks or even months behind. Click on the "Tower Cutover Schedule" for a map showing the Troops that have been cutover. The map is currently outdated because all troops are fully digital except G and C.

I monitor the system with my BCD396T and with great success. I have mine set up to monitor by tower and not by Troop. This way if 2 or more towers are in range, I hear auido from each tower. On this new system, there may be traffic from one tower in the troop and the other towers not broadcast that same traffic so it is important to hear as many towers as possible. There are several others that monitor with 296, 796, Pro96/2096's with success but the dynamic memory works well when setting up different towers.

I can say tell you that the ASP Mobile Extender is still in use and is ANALOG. The frequency is 154.7850. This means if you are close enough to a troopers car, you can hear the audio on the mobile extender with an analog scanner. I have confirmed this many times and is sometimes useful. Probably would be wonderful if you live near an ASP State Trooper :D because I hear that they leave the radios on even with the car off because some troopers were complaining of the new radios draining the batteries more than the old radios while they were off duty.

I'm sure there will be many changes to the system in the future. Keep an eye on the database for changes to tower sites. If you have any questions please feel free to post here, email me, PM me here, or join the scanningarkansas yahoo group.

Gatorman

Can you tell me what district covers the area to the West of Memphis, TN. It looks like they may split right at West Memphis??????

Can you tell me what the closest site to Memphis might be? Anything else that might help?

Thanks for putting some great info on the board.

safetyobc

I believe that is in Troop D. Crittenden County. http://www.asp.state.ar.us/div/hpdiv.html You may can pick up a Troop C tower site once they go digital but it will be after the first of the year before Troop C cuts over to digital.

The Shell Lake Tower is in Crittenden County and is likely the closest to you. You may be able to recieve it:

Shell Lake 866.10000* 866.17500 868.46250 868.71250 868.96250

Other Troop D Towers include:

Cross County Tower in Wynne 866.21250* 866.46250* 868.31250 868.56250 868.86250

Prairie County Tower in DeValls Bluff 866.18750* 866.43750 867.28750 868.60000 868.91250

Phillips County Tower in Walnut Corner 866.76250 867.06250* 867.42500 868.16250 868.42500

I have heard people in West Memphis area have trouble picking up the new system. Maybe when Troop C cutsover in January the reception will improve. Troop C is set to start cutting over on January 10, 2006.

I hope this helps.

Matt

Gatorman

Matt, thanks for the prompt reply. Great job. Big help with the info. Everything you have done is easily understood with the exception of the transmitter sites. I just don't know the geography over there that well.

I have a 396 with elevated antenna. I will give the Shell site a try. I pointed my yagi at Wynne but I couldn't hear the CC.

I notice on the state web page that Crittenden County is currently a user????? I will report my findings.

Thanks again. Have a great holiday.

safetyobc

I am not the one who set up the rrdatabase here. I believe that credit goes to Thunderbolt and FP073.

I have a file on my Yahoo Group that shows the Troop, County, and Site name that I use all the time to find the location of the tower, at least in which county it is in. If that helps you any? It is named AWINDigitalFreqs.xls also a .txt version.

Gatorman

I am unable to hear the Shell Lake CC in Memphis. Using a 900 MHz yagi at about 70' fed with 1/2" hardline. If they are having trouble in W Memphis hearing it, I doubt I will ever hear it over here. I'm about ten miles from the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.