Jonesboro City

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Apparently from what I'm seeing we won't be hearing Jonesboro Police and Fire much longer.. They spent a little over a million dollars to go to AWIN and now they're going to Motorola Turbo DMR... Why? Who knows but looks as if we won't be hearing them much longer.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Apparently from what I'm seeing we won't be hearing Jonesboro Police and Fire much longer.. They spent a little over a million dollars to go to AWIN and now they're going to Motorola Turbo DMR... Why? Who knows but looks as if we won't be hearing them much longer.

I'm not very familiar with MotoTRBO/DMR but I do have a question. I see TRBO radios for sale on eBay, etc., and I also saw pictures of someone's setup where they lived somewhere with TRBO and NexEdge systems in operation and they had TRBO and NexEdge radios on their desk. So...my question...if they do switch to a DMR system and someone really wanted to monitor them could they not just buy a compatible FPP radio, punch in the frequencies and hear them? Or is there more to it than that?

Remember my first line...I'm not very familiar with how these systems work.

btritch

I'm not very familiar with MotoTRBO/DMR but I do have a question. I see TRBO radios for sale on eBay, etc., and I also saw pictures of someone's setup where they lived somewhere with TRBO and NexEdge systems in operation and they had TRBO and NexEdge radios on their desk. So...my question...if they do switch to a DMR system and someone really wanted to monitor them could they not just buy a compatible FPP radio, punch in the frequencies and hear them? Or is there more to it than that?

Remember my first line...I'm not very familiar with how these systems work.

If i'm not mistaken I believe you have to have a specific privacy code to make it work, and if it's encrypted a specific set of number for encryption, I'm not really familiar with it myself but I'm pretty sure that's how it works, It's more than just buying a radio and punching in a frequency I'm pretty sure that's what I was told when I asked about NXDN before because that's what they all went to here..

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
If i'm not mistaken I believe you have to have a specific privacy code to make it work, and if it's encrypted a specific set of number for encryption, I'm not really familiar with it myself but I'm pretty sure that's how it works, It's more than just buying a radio and punching in a frequency I'm pretty sure that's what I was told when I asked about NXDN before because that's what they all went to here..

OK, well I wondered about that being the case. I thought (thought) I had read/heard somewhere that if you could program them for receive-only a lot easier than if you needed to transmit (i.e. needing the codes to transmit only). I don't claim to know that for a fact or anything but I do remember it from somewhere. I may try to dig around and see what I can find or if I can remember where or from who I saw/heard that.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
For DMR, you must have the time slots, color codes. For the MotoTRBO TRS, you also need to make sure your radio has the proper of the 2 types set up, and if its encrypted, the encryption key. So if you are not an authorized user of the system, and don't have proper timing slots, color codes, system access properly set up, they will brick you. If its encrypted, you are not listening to it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.