Cops using Skype / Zello / Whatsapp for comms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

Occasionally in Independence County SO communications, the dispatcher will say "Talk to me on 6". I have CloseCall active on my scanner but it has never discovered this mysterious "channel 6". Is it possible that "6" refers to using a smart phone app such as Zello or Skype for sensitive communications? They also sometimes use voice inversion on "channel 3" but this is weak and could be decrypted pretty easily via methods I won't discuss here.

Is it common for PDs to use smart phone apps for sensitive communications?

nd5y

It is possible but just because you don't get close call hits doesn't mean they are using phones.
What type of system do they normally use? Conventional or trunked?
Do they have 5 other dispatch and tactical channels?

Voyager

Occasionally in Independence County SO communications, the dispatcher will say "Talk to me on 6". I have CloseCall active on my scanner but it has never discovered this mysterious "channel 6". Is it possible that "6" refers to using a smart phone app such as Zello or Skype for sensitive communications? They also sometimes use voice inversion on "channel 3" but this is weak and could be decrypted pretty easily via methods I won't discuss here.

Is it common for PDs to use smart phone apps for sensitive communications?

It's very common to use Cellular (let alone any of the other services), and you cannot decrypt VI modulation since it is not encrypted in the first place - it's just a different form of modulation like AM vs FM. In this case, Reversed FM. There are even scanners with the capability.

a417

yeah, its where the reciever stays on a constant signal and the physical radio rapidly modulates back and forth along the data path.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Check licensed freqs other than whats in the DB, check AWIN for TG that pops up when they say go to 6, heck check CB ch 6 even lol. VI can be beaten pretty easily with add on modules etc, but please remember it is illegal to intentionally listen to inverted speech. They even sniff a hint of that, and all they need to do is make a few changes and use actual encryption. Oh and 99% of the time if they were using cellular, they would say give me an TX. If it was MDT/MDC, usually they would say check your messages/MDC/MDT/Laptop...

wbswetnam

I'm not a cop, but if I were I'd certainly use Zello on my smartphone. Just like a HT, it's push-to-talk the big button on the screen to communicate with other friends on your Zello network. It goes out via VOIP - no need to worry about scanner listeners eavesdropping. Usually when the dispatcher wants a really secure conversation with the officer, he/she will say "Gimme a 21".

The Independence County SO is embroiled in a "divorce" from the city of Batesville right now so the county is strapped for finances. I doubt they'll have the money for any radio upgrades (like for DMR / NXDN or AWIN) any time soon.

KB1UAM

Reversed FM. That's one I've never heard of ;) channel 6 could be a simplex frequency. Or either that they maybe using voice inversion.

phillydjdan

I know some specialized units in a local PD around Philly uses Zello. They name is specifically when switching.

wbswetnam

Anti-gov't protesters in Venezuela and Ukraine last year used Zello to organize / regroup during their protest activities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.