Asp feed on scanner apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

arpilot

So I travel quite a bit with my job, and like to tune in from time to time to the police scanner app I have on my Iphone to Troop A out of Little Rock. I would like to know how the person that provides this feed actually gets their scanner to recieve EVERY troop in the state?? Assuming this feed is out of LR, and I'm fairly certain it is, I'm wondering if there is something new I could program into my Pro-96 here in Conway to get all of the troops vs just the ones I get from local repeaters. Just trying to figure out how he/she has this programmed? Thanks very much in advance.

David

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
So I travel quite a bit with my job, and like to tune in from time to time to the police scanner app I have on my Iphone to Troop A out of Little Rock. I would like to know how the person that provides this feed actually gets their scanner to recieve EVERY troop in the state?? Assuming this feed is out of LR, and I'm fairly certain it is, I'm wondering if there is something new I could program into my Pro-96 here in Conway to get all of the troops vs just the ones I get from local repeaters. Just trying to figure out how he/she has this programmed? Thanks very much in advance.

David

There have been better explanations given on here in other threads but in short it boils down to this...

The way the P25 system works, whenever a radio from "out of town" affiliates with a tower in an area, if you are listening to that tower and have the talkgroups from that "out of town" area programmed in, you will be able to hear that traffic. Since LR is the capitol city and where ASP statewide hq is, what is probably happening is officers (or radio tech guys) are in the troop A area with radios that are also equipped to talk to, say, troop C in Jonesboro. Suddenly you can hear traffic from troop C in LR because that radio is telling the trunking system to route it to it.

Does that make sense at all? There are other, more technical explanations but this is the basic gist of it. I don't know how his scanner is setup but he could have all TGs from all troops programmed or he could just be monitoring all traffic on a specific tower.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
To add to this: Every Trooper in every troop has every troop's TG's in their radios. This is to make it very easy for troopers to cross district lines and work in any district. This makes it very easy for us the scannist to hear multiple districts from one location. In the case of Little Rock as mentioned this is the capitol of AR, and thus houses the State Police HQ and ALETA. In addition, ASP radios also have the MAC's programmed into them for interop during large events such as tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes etc...

cozmosis

In the case of Little Rock as mentioned this is the capitol of AR, and thus houses the State Police HQ and ALETA.

Just to avoid confusion by anyone... ALETA (Arkansas Law Enforcement Training Academy) is an agency separate from the Arkansas State Police Training Academy. ALETA is located in East Camden.

safetyobc

There have been better explanations given on here in other threads but in short it boils down to this...

The way the P25 system works, whenever a radio from "out of town" affiliates with a tower in an area, if you are listening to that tower and have the talkgroups from that "out of town" area programmed in, you will be able to hear that traffic. Since LR is the capitol city and where ASP statewide hq is, what is probably happening is officers (or radio tech guys) are in the troop A area with radios that are also equipped to talk to, say, troop C in Jonesboro. Suddenly you can hear traffic from troop C in LR because that radio is telling the trunking system to route it to it.

Does that make sense at all? There are other, more technical explanations but this is the basic gist of it. I don't know how his scanner is setup but he could have all TGs from all troops programmed or he could just be monitoring all traffic on a specific tower.

Yep, that's what is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.