Springdale PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgolden2

I was told by an employee of Springdale PD that they are getting a new radio system in the beginning of 2016 but they didnt know the details. I assume it will be P25 digital trunking, but does anyone else know any other details? Freqs, control channels, TG ID's, VHF/UHF/800 MHz, etc? And most importantly, will there be encryption on the primary dispatch talkgroups?

teufler

I would guessitmate they are going to AWIN p25 type 1, like Rogers, Benton cty, and Fayetteville, Washington county. Both Benton and Washington county are 800 mhz trunking. Neither indicates encryption though if one gets encryption, the others will feel left out. The investment for encryption will probably be out of sight on the budget, and if they have cell phone available, thats just as private as encryption

k5kvn

Rogers, Washington County and Benton County are still on their respective systems on UHF at this time. There was an article in the newspaper recently about Benton County considering going to AWIN, but no action yet. An article last year said Rogers was considering a move to digital, but didn't give more details. Washington County has been building out their UHF Passport system for some time.

There have been a couple of news reports about Springdale's plans. I haven't seen specifics, but AWIN is a good guess, as the article linked below says they "will be able to talk to Fayetteville." The article also says that scanners will not be able to hear the system. Of course, we've heard that before and it often turns out to be incorrect.

Here's the link to one article about Springdale from June. It may be behind a paywall: Springdale considers switch to city-wide digital radio system | NWADG

Here's another from August 2014, just before Springdale dispatch center was updated. It mentions Rogers is considering going to digital, but not using encryption. Springdale Police Department Moves Toward Digital Radios | NWADG

mgolden2

Thanks guys. I'm from Kansas City where we have a large regional radio system with approx 28,000 users. I enjoy listening to small-town Springdale when I come down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

wbswetnam

I enjoy listening to small-town Springdale when I come down.

Even "small towns" are moving to encryption. The new chief of police for Batesville (pop. 10,000) has decided that that it is essential that 100% of comms must be fully encrypted. For the moment it's simple voice inversion but they are licensed for NXDN. I talked to someone recently who is "in the know" about the BPD and I was told that right now the city doesn't have the money to purchase the Kenwood digital radios, but when they do sometime next year, the BPD will almost certainly have 100% encryption just like Paragould PD and Greene County SO.

mgolden2

The city of Leavenworth Ks is small like Springdale and when they first went on the KSICS (the Ks statewide system) they were full encrpyted. Enough people in the community threw a fit about the encryption and the Chief UNencrypted all the radios! (Except for tac talkgroups of course.)

Belton Mo PD is also about the size of Springdale and recently joined the KC MARRS radio system and they have gone full encryption. Stupid, in my opinion, but I don't want to bring that up.

I enjoy listening to Springdale when I come down. I just hope that whatever system they join we will still be able hear them. Thanksgiving night was fun to listen to as they chased a kid thru a Walmart because his mom wouldn't buy him a toy and he took off running and hiding from her. PD was chasing him around too and finally caught him!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mgolden2

I guess that answers the question of encryption. No need for encryption when you can use a digital format that no scanner can monitor! Thanks everyone for your helping me keep up to date! Be safe down there in this crazy weather.

Matt

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I guess that answers the question of encryption. No need for encryption when you can use a digital format that no scanner can monitor! Thanks everyone for your helping me keep up to date! Be safe down there in this crazy weather.

Matt

It can be monitored as long as it isn't encrypted, it just takes some setup.

ktedder

Encryption

I just don't understand why police feel the he need to go encrypted. I can pick up Jonesboro police and Arkansas state police but can't get Paragould. Also is P25 phase 2 better than phase 1? I have a little trouble getting ASP but I can get Missouri Highway Patrol better. I think MHP is on phase 2

SCPD

QRT
I would guessitmate they are going to AWIN p25 type 1, like Rogers, Benton cty, and Fayetteville, Washington county. Both Benton and Washington county are 800 mhz trunking. Neither indicates encryption though if one gets encryption, the others will feel left out. The investment for encryption will probably be out of sight on the budget, and if they have cell phone available, thats just as private as encryption

Sorry but secure modules, boards or software come default in any xts or apx series or harris radio now days and have been for long time now usually at no cost or low cost with large fleet orders. Sorry but the myth of the 80s masc board or inverter board being too expensive is long gone.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Sorry but secure modules, boards or software come default in any xts or apx series or harris radio now days and have been for long time now usually at no cost or low cost with large fleet orders. Sorry but the myth of the 80s masc board or inverter board being too expensive is long gone.

Yes, basic encryption set up is standard. Advanced protocols which are the ones US DHS and most agencies recommend, and use are still extra charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.