Upgrade to P25 phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

A few questions about the P25 p2 upgrade... will it use the same control channel / voice channel frequencies, and the same talk groups?

kibler

Feed Provider
Those are great questions! I have been wondering the same things! We need some web links or news links to visit that will keep everyone informed! Google search want give you very much!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
We likely won't know until a forum member or two tap their resources and find out. That info isn't something that is usually covered in a new piece, etc.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Don't know what you mean by P25 Phase 2 upgrade. What is upgrade? I have a P25 phase 2 system near me that uses both phase 1 and two

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Don't know what you mean by P25 Phase 2 upgrade. What is upgrade? I have a P25 phase 2 system near me that uses both phase 1 and two

Yep. The AWIN system is currently P25 Phase I only. It will soon be upgraded to Phase II. Only scanners that receive Phase II will be able to monitor it after the upgrade.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yep. The AWIN system is currently P25 Phase I only. It will soon be upgraded to Phase II. Only scanners that receive Phase II will be able to monitor it after the upgrade.

Let me set this right.
The AWIN is about to undergo upgrades to its core system to become APCO P-25 Phase II (TDMA) capable. There will be Phase I (FDMA) still in use for many years to come. The following agencies are in the short listing to get TDMA running in the first run of these upgrades: AR State Police, AR Highway Police, AR Dep't. of Emergency Management, City of Little Rock Public Safety. It is unknown at this time as to the amount of TDMA usage that will happen with ASP, AHP, ADEM.... But LRPD will go all TDMA with the exceptions of mutual aid, and possibly event TG's. LRFD will also heavily use TDMA. Being much larger entities, this is beneficial to them. Also being that LRPD is and will remain fully encrypted as long as they have the CoP that they have, it matters little since we can't hear em nohow. Expect the first upgrades and TDMA usage by November/December of this year assuming no hiccups. Expect the larger agencies to add or switch to TDMA use fairly quickly after that. Motorola has already shipped an good amount of gear to AR, and more is on the way. The information I have from three sources now, all indicates first use of TDMA on sites for testing by mid summer. Keep an aye on Pro96Com, T-88, UniTrunker, DSD, etc.... As you will most likely see use before the "official" FCC license upgrades show up, being the FCC Data is usually 3 to 6 months behind on things LOL!

This is just the first step of upgrades. Next is additional sites, and conversions, and upgrade of the interlinking "behind the scenes", addition of more mobile data, and then eventually addition of FirstNet technologies.

Last edited by a moderator:

wbswetnam

I'm already in the process of replacing my P25 p1 scanners with newer models. I already have a RS Pro-668 and my new Uniden BCD536HP should arrive tomorrow (Am I ordering the DMR upgrade immediately? Whaddaya think??!!) This weekend I'm putting my RS Pro-652 and Home Patrol 1 up for sale on eBay. I sold my discriminator-tapped RS Pro-96 a few months ago at a hamfest.

I will be monitoring for changes in AWIN for sure! I am hoping that the control channels and talk groups stay the same but hey, we'll see.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I know you have some contacts milf so I'm not disagreeing with you per se, and while there may be some Phase I stuff still on it for years to come, the news release plus other info I've heard sure made the changes for agencies like ASP seem like they are coming quicker than a few years. I think looking to upgrade within the next 6 months at least is advisable.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Oh yes, some agencies will jump immediately. But for many, that is an big leap that will cost a LOT. Jumping from say an XTS 2500 or XTS 3000 to an APX 6000XE or APX 7000 or if your all out an APX 8000 is not cheap. (Back in the day when I lived in SC, and had to get an XTS 3000 for use, I had to shell out $1,000.00 and I will say that was tough... But when I popped out that $1,300.00 for the APX lets just say that even with a big discount that really hurt!) Smaller agencies, and poorer ones like say an rural VFD, are not gonna roll over soon. Look at the MSWIN, or even TACN. Yes both systems are Phase II capable, but there are still a lot of Phase I users still there, though at least on the MSWIN, they have to put up an good argument to do Phase I if they are an new user.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Just additional info... The cheapest I can find an APX 6000XE without any *special* discounts is $2,300.00! Try doing the math for at least 3 of those, and say 4 at least of its mobile counterparts for an very small VFD!

*** 1 Mobile and HT each for say, Engine, Brush, Tanker, Chief's Vehicle or Specialized Unit***

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Oh yes, some agencies will jump immediately. But for many, that is an big leap that will cost a LOT. Jumping from say an XTS 2500 or XTS 3000 to an APX 6000XE or APX 7000 or if your all out an APX 8000 is not cheap. (Back in the day when I lived in SC, and had to get an XTS 3000 for use, I had to shell out $1,000.00 and I will say that was tough... But when I popped out that $1,300.00 for the APX lets just say that even with a big discount that really hurt!) Smaller agencies, and poorer ones like say an rural VFD, are not gonna roll over soon. Look at the MSWIN, or even TACN. Yes both systems are Phase II capable, but there are still a lot of Phase I users still there, though at least on the MSWIN, they have to put up an good argument to do Phase I if they are an new user.

Good points. And I certainly didn't mean to imply that everything would be Phase II immediately. However, ASP, AHP, etc., will likely transition fairly soon, after the sites are updated/upgraded. I don't want to lose the ability to hear them.

And not to argue as I know there are some, but you seemed to imply that every rural VFD will have to buy a fleet of new radios when, in reality, a majority of the rural VFDs don't use AWIN. Yes, some do and I'm sure some have AWIN radios for mutual aid or whatever, but I know locally the only guys I ever hear talking on the county AWIN TG is the OEM coordinator and his 2 or 3 assistants so that tells me the rest don't have the radios; they have to switch to the analog channel to talk to the department personnel.

Everyone is different and prefers listening to different things, but as far as I'm concerned hearing ASP, AHP, ADEM, etc, is top priority which means Phase II soon. That's where I was coming from with my statement.

safetyobc

I didn't think about the fact that they would have to have new radios for Phase II. Makes sense, and something I should have thought about. Large agencies like ASP, Little Rock, etc, that's going to cost a lot of $$$

Just additional info... The cheapest I can find an APX 6000XE without any *special* discounts is $2,300.00! Try doing the math for at least 3 of those, and say 4 at least of its mobile counterparts for an very small VFD!

*** 1 Mobile and HT each for say, Engine, Brush, Tanker, Chief's Vehicle or Specialized Unit***

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
From ASP and Moto

New equipment is being installed, but Phase II is going to take 5 years to fully implement. Thats directly now from 2 sources that I have asked, and from another member that has a few contacts. There will be changes ongoing to the entire system beginning with all STATE agencies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
New equipment is being installed, but Phase II is going to take 5 years to fully implement. Thats directly now from 2 sources that I have asked, and from another member that has a few contacts. There will be changes ongoing to the entire system beginning with all STATE agencies.

Previous info I posted, above, was based on info that my resource had received but misunderstood. He corrected it today, basically saying what milf posted.

Last edited:

N5JMC

da883f9056ffd3c5d76b0dc023f67d37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbswetnam

So, for the time being, AWIN will be P25 phase 2 capable, but it will not be implemented. Did I read that correctly?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
So, for the time being, AWIN will be P25 phase 2 capable, but it will not be implemented. Did I read that correctly?

The sites being upgraded will be P2 capable...but not all sites have been upgraded so yeah that's basically what I got from it.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
ALL Master Sites and some of those directly affilited with those sites will be P2 capable, and will have testing on them, The Entire system will take a couple of yearsz to fully go P2.

N5JMC

But from what I read that don't plan to upgrade radios to phase 2 so our phase 1 scanners will will work right? I wouldn't think they'd post that if they plan to change was radios to phase 2 in a couple years would they?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
But from what I read that don't plan to upgrade radios to phase 2 so our phase 1 scanners will will work right? I wouldn't think they'd post that if they plan to change was radios to phase 2 in a couple years would they?

If there is a phase 1 radio being used on a site then it will revert to phase 1 so, yes, you are correct that a phase 1 scanner will receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.