Nepal Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan_nepal

VOR was simply morse code.
Transmissions on other frequencies were in English.

112.3 VHF Omni-directional Radio Range (VOR)
118.1 Tower
120.6 Approach
121.9 Ground
125.1 Control
126.5 Approach
127.0 Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS)

Above frequencies logged in Kathmandu.
Any DX-er/Scanner enthusiast in Nepal?

Last edited:

key2_altfire

Hey there, I noticed your post in the "Pics of your Shack" forum. Neat to have read your post. I think English is "the" language used by international airline pilots; good to know there's always something to scan next time I'm in China. ;-)

A good friend of mine is from Nepal, he lives here in the U.S. with his American wife. They met while she was over there working for a Thai company.

scan_nepal

key2_altfire said:
Hey there, I noticed your post in the "Pics of your Shack" forum. Neat to have read your post. I think English is "the" language used by international airline pilots; good to know there's always something to scan next time I'm in China. ;-)

A good friend of mine is from Nepal, he lives here in the U.S. with his American wife. They met while she was over there working for a Thai company.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes indeed English is extensively used in KTM airport. Only difference is the accent. Planes from UAE, Thailand, Bhutan, India etc. land in Nepal. So you can only imagine the variety of English one could monitor.

Regards and hello to your friend and his wife.

Agile_Eye

Hi,

Scanner radio user in KTM here.

Have a Uniden BCD396T and Icom R70

Some interesting listening to be had (especially aviation/diplo/UN etc.), though much of it is Nepali which I still don't understand.

Regards

AE

scan_madison

AE, please share some frequencies.
I remember UN vehicles with HF antennas tied to front bumper back in 2005.

Last edited:

Agile_Eye

Hi s_m,

Those UN vehicles with large front mounted HF antenna prominently roam the city streets and back-country roads.
I don't usually monitor HF, so can't say what freqs. they're on.
On VHF they are most active on:
137.875, 137.925, 156.850 (Ch.4).
There are very likely other channels used just as active, but not always in English.

European Union (EU) use 153.150 (Ch.5) as their main calling channel.

Department For International Development (DFID) use 165.7375 (Ch.4) as main.

USAid, or perhaps embassy seems to use 164.125, but mostly for radio checks.

Are you a regular visitor to NP?

Cheers and good listening!

Agile_Eye

P.S. I'm not aware that the feds have an analog trunking system in place, certainly not APCO 25.
As previously mentioned a Chinese supplied digital trunking system was recently installed and commissioned, which I think is TETRA based.
Analog channels remain just as active for the moment though.
AE

scan_madison

Hi A_E,

Thanks for sharing. I will check 'em out when I visit. I recall monitoring these frequencies for law enforcement agencies (mostly in Nepali) before they went trunking:

453.99375 MHz -- Kathmandu Metropolitan Police (Metro Kilo Control)
456.62500 MHz -- Patan Police (Papa Control)
464.75000 MHz -- Bhaktapur Police (Bravo Control)
452.82500 MHz -- Traffic Police (Tango Control)

You mentioned the trunking is TETRA based. Is it something proprietary unlike Motorola and APCO? I wonder if my 396XT would be able to receive the new system. Any ideas?

Agile_Eye

Hi again,

TETRA in broad terms is equivalent to APCO, as well as being a direct competitor to it in the professional radio comms market. As standards though they are not interoperable.
It started out as a pan-European next-generation radio communications standard (in the same way GSM mobile telephony did) and has since broadened in appeal.

China seems to be TETRA country when it comes to digital trunking systems, so it seems likely this is what they have put in place (for free no less!)
Also likely is that it might be some homegrown variant, as they do have a penchant for taking an international standard and modifying features or components to suite local requirements.

I doubt that your 396XT would be able to resolve TETRA traffic, which is GSM-like technically. The ability to do so would have to be encoded in hardware in some ways. Generally speaking the standard is encryption-friendly, further limiting the possibility.
Either way, the best bet for getting a sniff at it, RF spectrum-wise, would be with an SDR device, like the HackRF - HackRF, an open source SDR platform by Michael Ossmann — Kickstarter

Thanks for the frequencies, have them all logged as such anyway. I have a tonne of others that I have no idea as to their usage. Intent listening for short lapses into English though often gives a clue! ;-)
Will share a few more in a future post.

Best wishes.

scan_madison

I did some research and looks like there are no Tetra capable scanners. That would be a bummer for scanner enthusiasts in Nepal. I wonder what one would hear on the frequencies that Tetra radios transmit on.

A_E, if you don't mind sharing other frequencies here or via PM that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Agile_Eye

Wow, has it been a year already since I last posted on here?

Anyway, just a quick update on details of the Chinese supplied digital trunked radio system discussed above.

So it turns out that the system is a Hytera DMR digital trunked radio system.

Details on the product here:
Hytera

and a more general overview of the DMR technology here:
Digital mobile radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The premier users and interest group/association appears to be:
DMR Association | World Leading Professional Digital Mobile Radio

All very interesting stuff! But why there have to be so many competing standards and technologies beats me. Guess that's capitalism at work!

Locally, the system operates between 359 - 365Mhz.

In the attached graphic, there are three active channels, two peaks left and one peak far right. You can just see some indication of channel hopping (of a sort) via the two right-most waterfall tracks (thick yellow lines). Generally there seems to be about 10-12 channels active at any one time.

Hopefully more to follow...

Attachments

• NP-DMR-Spectrum.jpg
    NP-DMR-Spectrum.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 373

scan_madison

Found this new frequency in use at the Katmandu airport:
172.7250 MHz NFM
Mostly used by local airline companies.
Language was mostly Nepali.

Status
Not open for further replies.