rcmp st. john's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlo

anyone in the st. johns area able to hear rcmp clear. for some reason it seems the trucking channels are not correct freq's.
i have been trying but with no luck as to what the channels are.
it used to be 161.4900, 163.3500, and 159.1200 but for some reason it wont work,
when they do key up it sounds horrible like a scrambling of some sort.

jlo

no buddy nothing like it. i'll get a video for you later today. and im also going to try the new listings in the database to see if that helps too.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Project 25

161.49 and 159.12 do show up as being part of the Newfoundland Project 25 radio system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
161.49 and 159.12 do show up as being part of the Newfoundland Project 25 radio system.

The frequencies for the P25 and EDACS systems are the same, just dependent on location. They are frequencies that RCMP commonly use across the country (they appear to have nation-wide "reservations" for those frequencies).

jlo: On the following page Digital Modes Samples - scroll down to "Motorola IMBE (ASTRO APCO-P25 Trunked) Digital Voice" and play that sound file. Is that what you're hearing?

How about the one above it (listed as "Motorola ASTRO APCO-25 Trunking Control Channel")? If they have indeed finally migrated the Avalon over to P25, you should hear one frequency constantly running the control channel and at least one occasionally sending "IMBE" (P25 digital voice). This is presuming you have an analog scanner, or a digital scanner configured to listen to those frequencies in anything other than P25 digital mode.

VO1GXG

Several frequencies here in Newfoundland exist in St. John's to hear the RCMP , 159.120 and 163.345. These two frequencies are in use as an analog link between conception bay south and conception bay north dispatch, it was never setup as a permanent system but has been in operation for the last 4 years in this fashion. From my sources this link will be dismantled once the EDACS system is switched to P25 but that switch seems to be stalled here on the east coast due to the RCMP are piggy backing the RNC's system in St. John's.

P

primehifi

In answer to your original question JLO, I have no issue listening to RCMP and did a range sweep. I am not hearing anything that is p25, just the usual blasts of the edacs control channels and the aegis modulation when rnc key up. Nothing out of the norm.

emercer

Any updates?

I am travelling to NL in two weeks and would like to know which RCMP system is active.

Maybe I should have both programmed.

I will be mainly in the Whitbourne area.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'd have both programmed. Whitbourne is in the EDACS area, or at least was when I was last there in September of 2012. However P25 may have expanded.

P

primehifi

edacs is still alive and well in the st. john's area. p25 only starts up once you're handy to Clarenville.

VO1GXG

edacs is still alive and well in the st. john's area. p25 only starts up once you're handy to Clarenville.

2015 is the P25 deadline for St. John's, Bonavista switched to P25 last month ( i watched them install it), sadly the RNC will be encrypted as they use the RCMP's system. Sadness i say!

P

primehifi

2015 is the P25 deadline for St. John's, Bonavista switched to P25 last month ( i watched them install it), sadly the RNC will be encrypted as they use the RCMP's system. Sadness i say!

Why do you say it will be Enc? RCMP are not enc.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Right across the country RCMP are moving to encrypted comms. In BC they are converting their conventional analog system to P25 with AES encrytpion. Saskatchewan RCMP are encrypting most, if not all, of their talk groups on PPSTN the 9600BPS P25 system in Ontaio is full time encryption. I can almost gaurantee RCMP in in Nfld WILL be encrypted.

P

primehifi

Even with no inside knowledge of the system, it only stands to reason they are not going to go from AEGIS to "In the Clear";)

They're not actually encrypted right now, just using a modulation no scanner can demodulate (and won't because so few use AEGIS).

If you had a p7100 (just for example) with the right programming options, you could listen.

[ I can almost gaurantee RCMP in in Nfld WILL be encrypted.

RCMP have been p25 across the island, save for the Avalon, for almost 3 years now. They have a single encrypted tactical channel but the rest is in the clear. Given the still ongoing troubles with interoperability and the studies, decisions and debate still occurring in that area I do not imagine they're in any great rush to go enc and further cause problems.

Knowing those two things, you have to ask "if they were going to go enc, wouldn't they do it by now" and if they were go to enc, they'd need to solve the interoperability issues, which according to the lengthy report issued a couple yrs back, they're no where near.

Further, knowing that RNC are not actually encrypted, and that rcmp are not enc and the RNC are the primary concern (and the main source of frustration) for interoperability with emergency services doesn't it make just a little bit of sense that RNC will have at least some traffic in the clear?

The biggest blow to listening freely is the amount of traffic they push over their in car computer network and via cell phone. Very little actionable information is disclosed over the radio, even now on AEGIS.

Last edited:
P

primehifi

Oh, also on the west coast in Corner Brook and Deer Lake RNC are in the clear on analog channels. Anyone with a scanner from the past two decades can listen to them with out trouble.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
They're not actually encrypted right now, just using a modulation no scanner can demodulate....
Right, and they must know that there are no scanners that can listen in.

....doesn't it make just a little bit of sense that RNC will have at least some traffic in the clear?.....
Again, without any "inside" knowledge, it makes no sense to me that if they know they cannot be listened to right now, that they would go to an "in the clear" mode. :wink:

point8

Premium Subscriber
Jay mine is like your drunk R2D2. It was fine on 155.880 P25. I have not used it for a while and the other day when I turned it on that's what I got. Using a BC796D. It still locks on to that channel and the screen flashes Dat/FM but the audio is R2D2 drunk :).

Status
Not open for further replies.