Bell mobility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Like mciupa says, we sort of need to know more about what you want to hear. If you mean the mobile phone service, the frequencies fall within a standard grouping, and there aren't CTCSS tones used - and the signals are digital these days, in a format scanners can't decode.

If you mean any of the trunking systems across the country that are owned by Bell, the frequencies are mostly listed in the database here on RadioReference (look for the word "Database" in the blue bar at the top of the webpage). Again, trunked systems don't use CTCSS tones.

If you are talking about other systems such as non-trunked sites that Bell leases communications to other users from, they will show up in the search jwt873 suggested. However, CTCSS tones are again not included in this data. CTCSS tones don't form part of the license - you can change tones at any time it tickles your fancy, so long as you don't end up interfering with another user on the same radio frequency. In order to figure them out, either you have to figure them out by having your scanner detect them, or they might be listed in the RRDB as mentioned above.

Smittyboy

Newfoundland.. And it's for a fire department, they're on one of bell pager towers and I got the frequency I was just wondering if they'd give a ctcss tone for the fire department so I wouldn't have to hear anything else

Jay911

Feed Provider
Aha, I believe what you are looking for is a system called Bell Aliant TMRS, also known as the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador system.

It's LTR PassPort, which scanners can't track - you will hear all voice traffic, as you've figured out. I didn't know until this system was being put in the database that it used different CTCSS tones for different users (or maybe different channels).

You may be able to figure out the CTCSS tone by monitoring the frequency until a call-out occurs (do they do regular pager tests?) and capture it then.

Jay911

Feed Provider
149.77, I think, is on a paging system that is non-voice or at least uses a paging format that isn't decodable by scanners. It's not trunked, you're correct.

I don't think 149.77 uses CTCSS tones. Someone more experienced with this kind of voice paging (which is quite an old system) will have to chime in on this one.

Best of luck figuring it out. BTW, I have spent many a day in Clarenville when I'm in that part of the world - I have relatives living in/near there and my mother was born and raised in Swift Current.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
While I don't know much about the Canada-wide Bell Paging System, many businesses and FD's here on PEI use it for paging. It's just conventional VHF, and has only the 1 frequency. It does use some kind of CTCSS or privacy setting, but I can't be sure.... I have heard of a way you can listen to a particular department, I just forget how. I'll ask around.

Last edited:

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Had this passed along to me... Not sure if it's any help.

I dont think it uses ctss at all, that is sub audible

the user can have paging area set as local. regional or canada wide,
when you dial the phone number the computer answers and decides what towers to transmit on

each pager has an address, some have a group address
a tone (or tones), of different frequency, or data burts is transmitted and if the pager hears it address it sounds off
page can be audio, alpa numeric (typed message on a screen) , numeric ( numbers on a smal screen eg a phone number)

fire depts often use pagers with a indvidual pager address and a group address
the individual pager can be paged with its unique tone, or all pagers are set off with a tone common to all in that group
if you hear fire tones they are often a single long tone, or 2 tone to set off the group
or sometimes if no group there will be a whole series of tones before message is sent

POSCAG was a technology that was once used to transmit the data, no idea if it is still used

I am not sure if if something like TwoTone Detect could be used to alert for the system or not

Telus shut down paging last year I think and Bell and Rogers are expected to follow soon

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
149.7700MHz typically uses Pocsag format. You'll need to use a suitable decoder program (two-tone detect isn't one) to follow the pages. POC32 was one such program.

Paging isn't going anywhere soon. It's got quite a few more years to go.

Jay911

Feed Provider
POCSAG isn't voice, for what it's worth. PDW is another piece of software that can decode these signals. I've known it to be coupled with a scanner with a discriminator tap, or an SDR stick, and an Internet-equipped computer, to email people when pages on a specific address or addresses come across.

The POCSAG (and Golay, for trivia's sake) system that used to be in use here has been shut down, so I'm not too 'up' on the systems and their decoding any more.

Smittyboy

So basically if I'm understanding correct there's no way to filter out all the other stuff just to hear the FD? And these ARE voice pagers they use Motorola minitors

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
If they're using voice on Minitor pagers of any kind, I can almost completely guarantee they're not on 149.77. Like MikeO says, it's typically a data paging service on that freq.

Is it Clarenville FD we're talking about? And are these Minitor II (2), or newer (3/4/5)? The II doesn't handle CTCSS at all, but the newer ones do if I recall correctly.

I think I've got Clarenville on my old data from the last time I was on the island, let me check.

Have you tried 154.4 MHz for Fire and 162.885 for Fewer's Ambulance?

There's a Bell Mobility license for voice at 163.14 MHz as well.

The hospital paging is on 149.02 (IIRC, EMS in-station might be alerted on there as well) and there's a local simplex channel at the hospital on 150.845.

Here's one more thing to consider - do they get paged on these Minitors and then talk to dispatch during the call on the same frequency? If so, I'm 99% sure you're looking for 154.4.

I don't have CTCSS data for any of these, but any modern scanner should have a tone search function that will let you see the CTCSS info.

Smittyboy

This is for Random west FD, I got all Clarenville and area, random west do not have a dispatch, when you phone there number that will set off the pagers and then you leave the location of fire/emergency.. And I herd them on there last Thursday and then confirmed with a friend who's a firefighter there that it was them..

Jay911

Feed Provider
Oh wow. I remember that kind of system; my department here used to use it before we got a 911 dispatch center.

Let me see what I can find for Random West.

In one of my old data files, I show Random West FD to be on 150.5, but I don't see that licensed anywhere on the island today. No harm in trying it, though...

The only Bell Mobility stuff I have showing in the area is the TMRS (which definitely isn't compatible with Minitor pagers or that alerting/dispatch system) and the 149.77 freq which we've discussed above.

If your scanner has Close Call, you might want to try enabling it and going down near the station just before it's time for a pager test. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.