Motorola MCS2000 - Programming Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurus091

Hi All,

First of, please allow me to thank those who actually read my post. This is my first post and from what I can see, there are not that many Aussies on this forum so we all should stick together :)

I have a problem. I have purchased a second hand UHF MCS2000 (Motorola) and I am trying to reprogram using the Motorola MCS2000 CPS software as well as the old DOS version 3.00.00 but to no avail. I have a remote head and I also have non genuine RIB (Kawa Mall) that I am using to plug into the RJ45 Jack on the remote head.

When I am able to plug in the programming lead into the RJ45 Jack on the remote head and run the MSC2000 CPS, I get the letters "CSQ" displayed on screen. The radio then goes dull (similar to being unpowered) and then it beeps 3 times with every time having a slight (less than millisecond) "static" noise on coming from the speaker.

The MSC2000 CPS software then also says "communication with the radio failed". I have selected every port in the computer I am using and still replicates the same error message.

When I try the DOS based version 3.00.00 under windows, the radio goes blank but when I attempt to read the radio data from MCS2000, I get either, "bad checksum" error or " Nak Error". So I decided to try booting the software (DOS Version 3.00.00) from DOS 6.22 and when I read the data, I get a "Failed Busy Line" error or " Wrong Codeplug Loaded" error.

Now I am unsure if these messages are all because I am using a non genuine RIB Box and Serial/RJ45 cable (Kawa Mall = supplier) or if my Integrated Circuit has been fried. I really do need help as this is fantastic radio but as I live in SA, I don't have a use for NSW freq's as I can't hear them.

I have a brother that I will see in a cpl of weeks that has a genuine Motorola RIB as we works in the Telco industry so I will see how well I go. As for my attempts, I am at a loss of what to do. I have checked at batlabs.com and they don't offer any suggestions other than the build a cable myself.

If anyone is out there in Cyberspace that can help me, please... I really do need it and I don't mean the men in white suits to take me away either lol :)

Yours Faithfully,

Taurus091

radioaustralia

VIC Database Admin
Database Admin
First of, please allow me to thank those who actually read my post. This is my first post and from what I can see, there are not that many Aussies on this forum so we all should stick together :)
Hi Taurus091,

Welcome to RadioReference.com - always good to see a fellow Australian join in the fun.

In response to your issue, I am no expert by any means with Motorola programming (only ever done Alinco, Icom & Yaesu). I am suggesting that you report your post to a moderator and ask that it be moved to the Motorola Forum, your thread will receive more exposure than it will in this forum and will probably receive a greater amount of assistance.

Cheers, Mick

mcsuser

hey there did you get your radio programed if so drop me a line I have a couple that i would like to program, I am in the Adelaide hills........

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
My best guess is your software is too old, and if you are using the DOS version you machine is too fast. Also you cannot use a DOS box in Windows with that version of software, windows cannot control the serial port properly, and BTW that's a good way to screw up a good radio. The newer computers are too fast for the software.

cmdrwill

You have to use the programming cable that plugs into the radio chassis. The cable you have will not drive the length of the control cable, a known problem in the Motorola RIB design.

gbunch2012

Premium Subscriber
So as you say I need the chassis type cable to do the programing? I have not seen one all I am finding is the mic plug type.

Status
Not open for further replies.