Baofeng antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nato1987

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a baofeng uv-5r and I'm wondering if I can build a large antenna to be set up at home permanently and I'll need a car based antenna plus an antenna for the unit itself just wondering if anyone has any pointers as to how to built/what to buy
Cheers
NATO

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
If you would like this moved to the Antennas forum just use the "Report Post" function and we'll move it for you.

And welcome to Radio Reference!

HelixArray

Nato, are you using the TX capabilities as well? If so, I know little to nothing about that, but I was looking at the Hypario dual band antenna mobile mag mount on amazon for $12. For the unit itself, there's a lot of comparison links and counterfeit warnings for the Nagoya antennas. I'm waiting for an adapter for my BNC to SMA female so I can test the RX with an RR homebrew OCFD attic mounted anttena. Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki.

Right now, my two UV-5Rs have two different stock antennas. I don't know their model numbers, but one is taller and RXs better than the shorter one indoors. I will say this, I'm able to receive indoors on some frequencies that my other traditional handheld scanners will not. I have no idea why to be honest.

Also, there's a car cigarette receptacle power feed that's available that I was looking into, but the reviews mentioned something about it getting extremely hot on TX mode.

Hope it helps.

edit--welcome to RR

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.