RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Automotive

Automotive Your car leaking? Want to discuss your cherry GTO? Discuss all engine powered four-wheeled contraptions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 8:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a problem with my tax dollars going to Australia for cars they don't want when we have a need for employment here. Maybe if the car was made here it might be better, or they could be worse who knows. I havn't bought a Chevy since 1990 because it was the worst quality car I have ever owned. Transmission went at 40K, the engine rings were gone at 70K, and it smoked like crazy. Got rid of it just in time since the engine went at 80K.
The new Taurus is based on the Ford 500 which was based on the EU Mondeo,(with a little Volvo in it) a very respected car from Europe (Top Gears car of the Year). I intend to purchase a new Taurus, and maybe the PI version next spring, but I am waiting to see if it lives up to all the hype. ( I am renting one over the Labor day weekend for a 6 hour trip) I own a 2005 Ford 500 AWD, and it has been the best quality car I have owned in a long time. I also own a 2009 Charger Hemi PI since new and with 20K on it there have been no problems so far (car is animal powerful). The days of Chrysler being top dog with the PD and their 440 are long gone, but I think with the new Chargers they have a good chance of recapturing that honor away from Ford and with no problem from Chevy.
BTW for NYC they actually are buying Toyota's for patrol cars, and even some hybrids. I shudder over that. Also NYC stock piles at least 2 years worth of cars in case of automotive strikes. I know that when I was working for Federal Signal we got quite a few brand new sirens in for repair that were 2-3 years old from their stockpiled cars.
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 PM

The city I live in just put one into service and from the way their Facebook annoucement the full set of Patorl division cars will be done soon.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...58340486_n.jpg
Old 09-09-2012, 4:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The county I live in now has a few new cars. I have seen them on the road a few times, but this is the first time I got a chance to take a picture of one. They went with all new graphics on these, and switched from brown cars to black and white.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...909_073219.jpg

Here's what their old cars look like:

http://ww2.anokacounty.us/v4_sheriff...s/DSC_0041.JPG

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Metro Skywarn #7344

Uniden BCD396T, BC250D, BC350A
RS PRO-84
Yaesu FT-2800M, VX-170
Old 11-19-2012, 7:16 PM

Here is what I believe is the best "Crusier" going. 2013 Ford Interceptor Utility. A midsized utility vehicle, that offers balance and space inside a vehicle. With great dimensions, size and wheel base, it could very well be the pick of the fleet for small rural areas and midsized towns, especially where a budget is of concern for maintenance and fuel.

A 3.7 V6 - so you have power and economy. About 16.4 feet long, and seats five. All wheel drive and equips with a push bar. A very good plus ( + ) plus ( + ) in my book

Is Ford giving Chevy and a run for its money by , as I believe, creating better police crusiers with powerful V6 engines, instead of the seldom used horsepower and gas guzzling of the large and small block V8 motors? With the exception of the Highway / Interstate Patrol, will newer police "crusiers" ......give way to gas and economy with small..yet power V6 motors......that save on fuel and maintenance?

Although I don't care for the LED lights on the push bar......I believe this is the best "Crusier" going. Gear inside can be stored with the officer - one location and one environment, and it is still spacious. What I describe as a "moderate" sized vehicle, perfect for small and semi urban locations. A drivers side "flood" light for added officer safety and multi-directional night time / lowlight observation and enhancement, LED lightbar package, rear window tinting, and is what I describe as extremely competitive to other manufacturers.

As I would expect --------- Ford has done it right. Chevy and Dodge had better look out.

The Ford Police Interceptor Utilty is one sharp looking Police crusier. Put a Vertex..... or Kenwood Communications dual band radio system in this truck, and it would be "Tops".

Go Ford

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc...odels/utility/

http://i.oodleimg.com/item/305229060...60f?1339279306

https://content.homenetiol.com/20000...99e2706635.jpg

One sharp looking vehicle. Comments from those in Radio Reference land ?

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited by ff-medic; 11-19-2012 at 9:07 PM.. Reason: addition & corections
Old 11-19-2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven95150 View Post
They went with all new graphics on these, and switched from brown cars to black and white.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...909_073219.jpg

What depertment does those crusiers represent again.
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2012, 8:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

With todays fuel prices I can see why smaller engines with higher performance are becoming popular. I used to have the "it isn't a real car unless it has a V8" thinking. I bought a Mitsubishi Eclipse and got the import tuning bug and before I knew it...was out-performing modified Mustang GT's. I do have to wonder if the new smaller engines will be able to handle the workload though. The PD I used to work for picked up a couple of the 2nd body style Taurus' back in the early 90's. I liked them. They accelerated decently & hugged corners. They were used 24/7. The 1st 6-8 months the cars were great. After that, the engines & transmissions couldn't handle the rigors of patrol work. They were constantly being sent to the shop for one reason or another. The V8 Chevys put in service at the same time had no issues and the Diplomats still lumbering around weren't even down as much as the Taurus' were. I like how technology has made the smaller engines perform better. I really hope durability has improved.
Old 11-19-2012, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UvGotIssuesToo View Post
I like how technology has made the smaller engines perform better. I really hope durability has improved.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
This year, there are two new police cars on offer. Ford has made the Police Interceptor available with a 305-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 engine,

Ford Police Cars Set Fastest Lap, Accel Times in Michigan State Police Testing - WOT on Motor Trend

FF - Medic !!!
Old 11-20-2012, 1:04 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default IMPD/MCSO update

Currently IMPD and MCSO are changing over to Dodge Charger Interceptors, and IMPD is also adding Toyotas to its fleet. Verified by sight over the last few weeks. Repeating, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, as well as Marion County Sheriff's Office are going fully over to the Dodge Charger, and IMPD is adding a few Toyotas as well. Better gas mileage, durability, dependability, and as an added feature, they freaking look cool! Also ISP (Indiana State Police) is switching to the Chargers with a few of the Tauruses for special use. The Vic's are being replaced as mileage hits that magic number. So anyone that loves the CVPI (P-71 series) years '01-'10, auctions will be loaded over next 2 to 3 years.

Support your local Scanologists!

Last edited by milf; 11-20-2012 at 1:09 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff-medic View Post
What depertment does those crusiers represent again.
I find it funny with a lot of departments want to look stealth yet they make all their cars look like a billboard
Old 11-22-2012, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScannerDude244 View Post
I find it funny with a lot of departments want to look stealth yet they make all their cars look like a billboard
Yeah. Alot of departments have markings over the side and/or and back of the cruiser, but no lightbar on top , as they opt for the concealed in the grill and or passenger compartment LED lights. Why...I do not know.

If it is marked on the outside, there should be a lightbar on top in my opinion.

If it is unmarked - THEN you can go with the stealth lights inside the winshield and or grill...AND the back glass / flashing tail lights.

Now I agree that marked and unmarked "cruisers" have a place and purpose in Law Enforcement, but don't mix them. Marked car = lights on top. Unmarked = concealed lights.

FF - Medic !!!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

I love this topic. I have heard many reasons and arguements for why they go "slicktop" on marked units. The top three are: 1- Less wind resistance. Uhhh OK. 2- We only budgeted for X amount of lightbars. Believable, especially now. 3- We just think its sexier this way. Again uhhh OK.

The marked vs unmarked patrol units arguement can get complicated. "We use the unmarked units for {Traffic Enforcement}"... AKA Speed Traps, and Roadblock Enforcement.
"Unmarked units are much more stealthy, and thus harder to detect." Only if your not loading them down with antennas, spotlights, laptops, push bumpers, cameras, oh and "in your face lighting kits". And more importantly, you must think everyone's stupid not to know that FCVPI, Impala/Caprice, Charger, Taurus or Camaro are automatically suspect in high crime/drug trafficing areas. The LEA that truly goes undercover/stealthy uses vehicles that you wouldn't suspect... (SC's SLED has for example Jaguars, BMW Z's, even an limo)
**Not to mention in some areas, unmarked law enforcement vehicles are PROHIBITED by local laws. That is rarer nowadays, but still exists, thus hampering some agencies, or helping the public... Depending on your viewpoint (thus speaks the Jedi Master?)**
Old 11-22-2012, 6:08 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
And more importantly, you must think everyone's stupid not to know that FCVPI, Impala/Caprice, Charger, Taurus or Camaro are automatically suspect in high crime/drug trafficing areas.
Add Ford Mustangs to your list--Indiana State Police has several of them.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Old 11-22-2012, 7:33 PM

real undercover LEO ride soccer mom minivans some complete installs with laptops
Old 11-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Last night I was taking a post Thanksgiving dinner walk thru a park and where a busy mainline railroad runs thru. As I was leaving in my car, I came across an elderly man in his car that made a wrong turn and got stuck on the tracks. So I stopped and called the police since he didn't have a phone. To fast forward, the tow came and got his car off the tracks and nothing happened so that's good. I was talking to the officer since this PD has some new "TAURUS" interceptors. He said they are very nice cars. He was a stocky car and he said they were slightly tight for him at first but after awhile, he got used to them and they are very comfortable. I don't know if they have the standard V6 or ECOBOOST or if they have AWD or not but even the standard V6 should be powerful enough for a close in suburban dept.
Old 11-23-2012, 2:14 PM
The Third Variable
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
Last night I was taking a post Thanksgiving dinner walk thru a park and where a busy mainline railroad runs thru. As I was leaving in my car, I came across an elderly man in his car that made a wrong turn and got stuck on the tracks. So I stopped and called the police since he didn't have a phone. To fast forward, the tow came and got his car off the tracks and nothing happened so that's good. I was talking to the officer since this PD has some new "TAURUS" interceptors. He said they are very nice cars. He was a stocky car and he said they were slightly tight for him at first but after awhile, he got used to them and they are very comfortable. I don't know if they have the standard V6 or ECOBOOST or if they have AWD or not but even the standard V6 should be powerful enough for a close in suburban dept.
First choice was wrong... call the number on the crossbucks, THEN the police.
Old 11-23-2012, 5:06 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

Exactly, call the railroad first!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 PM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

As a owner of a CVPI, it was a sad day when ford sold there last CVPI over sea's. at this time I am looking for a newer one, mine is a 2005 and is loaded out with the works right down to a 3.55 locker.
lowboy654@radioreference.com
Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 PM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

And did I say she is not for sale, I would just like to add to what I have,
lowboy654@radioreference.com
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 AM

I'll remember that next time but I told the dispatcher that it would be a good idea to call the railroad and she agreed. The cop said that there were no trains coming thru for quiet awhile. Besides, in hindsight, even if they had a number, any goof can call and make a stupid stories to disrupt a railroad. I figure that a police agency will have more credibility. Once a person calls 9-11, they are kind of commited not to pull any funny stuff. Besides many years ago, I called a railroad when the gates were going up and down. The person at the other end either said "Hello" or sounded stupid so I figured the heck with it.
Old 11-24-2012, 9:33 PM

sounds like you've had bad experience
you should always call that number for the railroad first and they will route it to that areas dispatcher who can then alert any crews operating in the area . most large railroads have emergency numbers listed