RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Automotive

Automotive Your car leaking? Want to discuss your cherry GTO? Discuss all engine powered four-wheeled contraptions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Default 2012 Ford Police Interceptor: The Crown Vic's Replacement

Ford's Crown Victoria-based police interceptor will finally end production late next year. This is its replacement the 2012 Ford Police Interceptor. Other than the movie Robocop, it's the first time Ford's Taurus has served as a purpose-built patrol car.

2012 Ford Police Interceptor: The Crown Vic's Robocop Replacement - Ford Police Interceptor - Jalopnik
Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScannerDude244 View Post
Ford's Crown Victoria-based police interceptor will finally end production late next year. This is its replacement the 2012 Ford Police Interceptor. Other than the movie Robocop, it's the first time Ford's Taurus has served as a purpose-built patrol car.
Sort of had to see this coming with the revival of the Taurus, and the article is wrong, there was Taurus PI before... not as popular as the CV, but it was an option.

Also there were packages for the Chevy Celebrity and Pontiac Bonneville, PPD had tons of both at one time.
Old 03-13-2010, 8:23 PM

I honestly thing the charger is gonna take over the police force in cities anyways, i know the biggest complaint for county/rural officers is the lack of truck space in the charger, where the cities don't really require a lot of truck space. It will be interesting to see what happens. I honestly can't see a FWD or AWD taking the market, i remember the Impala FWD that didn't last very long...
Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 AM

dont get me wrong, i love ford, and that is all i will drive. but i think they shot themselves in the foot on this one.

the crown vic works and is loved by many. why the hell would you change something that already proves to be working! if its working, dont change it!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 AM

I too am a long time FORD man so I hope this works for them. After all FORD is the only one of the "Big Three" that is making money and not take a penny of bailout money. The "Vic" is a long proven car in both police and taxi markets. Not to mention civilians as as am the proud owner of a 2004 GRAND MARQUIS. I just have this sceptical feeling whenever a car builder puts out a new vehicle that isn't well tested. Sometimes I truly believe that people sit around and say...That car is well proven and has a loyal customer base therefore, we need to discontinue it.
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2010, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
Sometimes I truly believe that people sit around and say...That car is well proven and has a loyal customer base therefore, we need to discontinue it.
I felt the same way in 2005 when they announced that was the last year of the mighty Excursion.... :[
Old 03-14-2010, 5:28 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I loved the Plymouth Grand Furys of the late 80's and was sorry to see those discontinued. We then had the Chevy Caprice, which worked well until they changed the body style. The new model was difficult to back up because of poor visibility out the back window. The Caprices we had came with Vette engines the 2nd year and they were very fast. There's a new company building a purpose built police vehicle - Carbon Motors. It looks like an interesting concept.
Old 03-15-2010, 9:05 PM

Got a link? Photos?
Old 03-15-2010, 9:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Bill View Post
Got a link? Photos?
Police Car for Police | Carbon Motors Corporation
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2010, 6:46 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I would like to see what the Twin Turbo V6 will do. 365 HP and 350 lb-ft sounds like it could get up and go.
Uniden: Home Patrol * BCD-396XT * BCD-996T * SC230
Old 03-16-2010, 3:44 PM

I believe I saw a posting on here awhile ago talking about the possibility of a 3 cylinder diesel engine as an option in place of the v6. I believe it is the same engine used in Europe, and that puppy can get up and go.
Old 03-16-2010, 5:36 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanusb View Post
why the hell would you change something that already proves to be working!
Lots of reasons. And they usually have dollar signs in front of them.

There are really only two markets left for the Crown Vic--police agencies and taxi cab companies. Sales to the general public are virtually nil. And the cab companies are switching to other vehicles that get better fuel economy.

So, Ford is faced with trying to maintain production of a vehicle with very few sales compared to the rest of their line. Even if they did continue to build it, they would have to continue to meet any new safety or fuel economy standards imposed by the US DOT. It costs car companies a ton of money to certify cars with the DOT each year and it's probably hard to justify the expense given the low sales and low profit margin (if they were to jack the price up to cover their costs, they would sell even fewer cars).

The other problem is tooling. The engine, transmission, and rear axle are probably not a big deal because they are used in other Ford vehicles. A lot of the chassis parts and most all of the body and interior parts, though, are unique to the CV. That tooling may be nearing the end of its useful life span and making new tools (think dies for steel body parts and molds for various plastic parts) costs a lot of money. Again, hard to justify the expense.

If they can sell PDs on the Taurus PI version, then they can share a lot of certification and tooling costs with the consumer Taurus. But, I agree, they really need to beef up the suspension and driveline to make a vehicle that will stand up to the abuse a police vehicle takes. Time will tell.
Old 03-16-2010, 9:46 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

Hope they fixed the sucky handling at speeds over 65, the lousy paint jobs that stripped off after a year, and the weak "plastic" bodies that were destroyed by smacks from rocks.... Yeah the SHO format is an "copsexy" car.. but it better have been totally redone tougher.. Or all those ram bars and extra safety gear WILL be needed. We had three patrol vehicles at the community college I attended,.. An 1980's Ford LTD Crown Victoria back before they turned into just Crown Vics, then just PI's... An 90's Taurus SHO Police Edition,... And an unmarked Bronco for going in the mud in the woods if needed. The SHO was sure fine and dandy... but was the SHOw car to let those comming on campus see a purty car wit blue lights at the speed limit signs.... The real go get em was the LTD. Now they have an 2005 CVPI for one campus, an 2006 Impala for the other campus,.. and an Dodge Durango special purpose unit that has been seen at both campuses...
Old 03-17-2010, 5:09 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
An 90's Taurus SHO Police Edition,...
The Ford Taurus today is nothing like the car they built in the 1990's.
Old 03-17-2010, 5:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I cannot see a FWD or AWD Police vehicle taking over. Several agencies around here are slowly phasing out their Crown Vic's for Dodge Chargers. I know of one agency that has completely done away with Crown Vic's and currently all patrol vehicles are Chargers, only exception being K-9 Vehicles are Ford Expeditions. The Chargers look and sound great IMO. I have thought for a long time that the Crown Vic could use a severe overhaul but I don't think doing away with it all together is the answer.

Twin Turbo V6 putting out 365 HP and 350 lb-ft sounds like a handful to drive. That much power and torque to a FWD spells out WHEEL SPIN and hard to corner at high speeds. Police vehicles are driven to their breaking point on a daily basis and a properly handling and operating vehicle can be the difference. I would think that for Police to completely switch from RWD to FWD or AWD would require the entire driving force to retake an emergency vehicle operations course. New recruits have a hard enough time going from their low powered personal vehicle to a higher powered RWD Crown Vic or Charger. Put a new recruit that is accustomed to their low powered FWD personal vehicle into a Twin Turbo 365 HP FWD vehicle and that spells problems in my opinion anyways.
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2010, 8:20 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpleen85 View Post
Twin Turbo V6 putting out 365 HP and 350 lb-ft sounds like a handful to drive. That much power and torque to a FWD spells out WHEEL SPIN and hard to corner at high speeds.
Have you driven a modern high-horsepower FWD car?

For a while, I owned a 2005 VW GTI with the 1.8 liter turbo. 180 HP and lots of torque that came in at 2000 RPM stayed there up to 6000 RPM. The car had several systems to deal with the power.

First was what VW called Electronic Differential Lock. If one front wheel started spinning, the vehicle computer would, through the ABS system, apply the brake on the spinning wheel which transferred the torque to the non-spinning wheel. If the wheel spin persisted, the computer would back off on the throttle. Yes, it was drive by wire. Lots of cars are these days--not just Toyotas. Anyway, you could shut off the traction control via a button the dash. With the TC off, it was no problem to dump the clutch and leave two nice, long black marks on the pavement.

The car also had an Electronic Stability Control system that used accelerometers and a steering wheel position sensor to detect when the car was about to spin. It'd then apply a brake on the appropriate wheel to keep the car from spinning.

My point is that modern FWD cars are pretty safe to drive even the ones with lots of horsepower. The British Touring Car racing series is as big in Great Britain as NASCAR is here and it's almost exclusively FWD cars making over 300 HP. The technology to make FWD cars handle is constantly evolving and trickling down to even mundane street cars.

But, I'll admit, I'm biased. I used to road race FWD Volkswagens. That's me in the yellow car.
Attached Images

Last edited by W9RXR; 03-17-2010 at 8:24 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 2:32 PM

No question, Ford shot themselves in the foot with this car.

Anything that's not a V8, rear drive car is NEVER going to win over the guys making the purchasing decisions for new patrol cars. At least in my area, the 2000-Current Chevy Impala left a bad taste in everyone's mouth with regard to durability, speed and size (comfort).

A front-drive, V6 turbo charged police car? Yeah right. I mean really. Are they kidding? Wait until the first turbo failure and/or expensive parts failure and bye-bye Ford.

The Charger and the new V8, rear drive Chevy Caprice are going to absolutely OWN this market in a few years when the last of the current platform 2011 Crown Vics start rotating out.

http://jalopnik.com/5373645/exclusiv...ce-car-is-back

Also, I heard a nasty rumor that Dodge's new owner Fiat, as a result of their bankrupcty, will end prouction of the Charger soon. If Ford actually puts this garbage out as the replacement of the Crown Vic and Dodge axes the Charger, it's right back to the top for Chevrolet...the one company SMART enough to bring a V8 powered, rear drive, practical looking sedan to the police car market.

I'm not even going to mention Carbon Motors - it's a joke and nobody's going to buy it.

I for one, will be glad to see Chevy regain the market dominance it had in 1994-1996 when the LT-1 B-body Caprice ruled the roost.

Last edited by Prospect62; 04-16-2010 at 2:37 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 4:52 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect62 View Post
No question, Ford shot themselves in the foot with this car.
Ford Motor Company is in the business of making money. They have not taken government bailouts like GM and Chrysler have. If their vehicle planners and marketing department don't believe there is enough of a market for police vehicles to justify the expense of developing a new full-size rear-wheel-drive platform, then they have made a wise business decision.

Quote:
At least in my area, the 2000-Current Chevy Impala left a bad taste in everyone's mouth with regard to durability, speed and size (comfort).
Indianapolis Metro Police has a lot of the front-wheel drive Impalas in service and they don't seem to be littering the streets with broken parts. I have talked to Hendricks County Sheriff Deputies who actually feel that the Impala is more comfortable than the Crown Vic.

Quote:
If Ford actually puts this garbage out as the replacement of the Crown Vic and Dodge axes the Charger, it's right back to the top for Chevrolet...the one company SMART enough to bring a V8 powered, rear drive, practical looking sedan to the police car market.
We won't know if the new Ford is garbage until it goes into service. Apparently, you've already made up your mind.

As for Chevrolet being smart, you realize that the platform they plan to use for the new Caprice wouldn't exist if GM's Holden division in Australia hadn't developed it. See this wiki article:

GM Zeta platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting that the new Caprice will be built on the same platform as the smaller Camaro, though apparently Holden had the foresight to design a platform that can accomodate various wheelbase lengths and roof lines. Also interesting is that this platform uses a variation on MacPherson strut front suspension (same as the Ford) and a four-link rear suspension (same as the Ford).

Quote:
I'm not even going to mention Carbon Motors - it's a joke and nobody's going to buy it.
Whether or not the Carbon police car gains any acceptance remains to be seen, however, I, too, am very skeptical. Given the recent announcement that they've struck a deal with BMW for turbo-charged Diesel engines, at least they will have an engine with a proven track record.

Quote:
I for one, will be glad to see Chevy regain the market dominance it had in 1994-1996 when the LT-1 B-body Caprice ruled the roost.
Ah, so, you're a Chevy guy.
Old 04-17-2010, 3:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default For Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9RXR View Post
The Ford Taurus today is nothing like the car they built in the 1990's.

Your right. I believe in 2010, the took the old Taurus out of production and renamed the 500 the Taurus. I picked up a 2007 Ford 500 and really like it. I can see how that would work out well since they've had great luck and the vehicles have stood up very well with out many problems over the last few years.
Old 04-17-2010, 5:39 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, 2007 was the end of the "old" Taurus platform. Ford came out with the Five Hundred in the 2007 model year as a replacement for the Taurus. The Five Hundred was based on the same platform as the Volvo the Volvo S60 and S80 sedans and the Volvo XC70 and XC90 SUVs. As I'm sure you know, Ford owns Volvo and Volvo has a long reputation for safety and reliability. Also, the large Volvo sedans are often used as police vehicles in Europe.

Unfortunately, the Five Hundred earned a reputation with automobile reviewers for sluggish performance and the Five Hundred name did not resonate with buyers or dealers. Ford resurrected the Taurus name for the car in the 2008 model year and reportedly made over 500 design changes, including a larger engine and better transmission. Ford made more changes to the design for the 2010 model year.

In the interest of full disclosure, I bought a used 2009 Taurus about three weeks ago. I really like it.