RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Automotive

Automotive Your car leaking? Want to discuss your cherry GTO? Discuss all engine powered four-wheeled contraptions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default 1991 corsica, 280,000 miles

I have a 1991 corsica I bought in March of 05 for $1700.00, that had 128,000 miles on it.

It now has 280,000 miles on it and might use 1/4 of a quart (at most) of oil between changes. I change oil ever 2500 miles. It still runs really good!

I have replaced many parts on it. Alternator, Starter, Electronic Module, Fuel Pump, Heater Hose ,Radiator, Radiator Hoses, Thermostate, Ignition Switch, Wiper Blades, Radiator Fan, Water Pump, Brakes all around, Wheel Bearings, Power Streering Pump, Timing Belt, Tension Pulley, Transmission Shifting Cable, Plugs, Oil Pan. That is all I can think of at the moment. But I am sure there are other items that have been replaced, There has NOTt been any work to the MOTOR or TRANSMISSION!

I did not start out to put that much money in it, but one thing just lead to another!

My question is, how many more miles do you think it will go, before it will require major work to the motor or transmission?

And, what is the most miles, you have had on a vehical?

Last edited by bee; 09-06-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2010, 2:46 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I put ~320,000 miles on my 1980 Mazda GLC. The only reason that car messed up is because I broke a spark-plug off inside the engine and I thought I could fix it... Me being 17 years old with no knowledge, I ended up destroying that car. I should have left the spark-plugs alone as they were never changed before.

The only things I did to that car was change the light bulbs and the oil. The oil did not get changed regularly though. Maybe once a year, if I remembered.

You couldn't kill that car, unless you handed a bunch of wrenches to a 17 year old that knew nothing about cars...lol
Old 09-07-2010, 6:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I worked south of atlanta ga as a mechanic a few yrs back and we serviced a chevy suburban 1994 model with a 350 engine on a regular basis and it belonged to a insurance agent.This was about 5 yrs ago 780,000 miles and still purring like a kitten..Also a guy had a beemer around 1981 model had over 1m miles it was a diesel engine..Clean oil clean air filter and change filters and fluids as needed anything is possible...
Old 08-21-2014, 1:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Still have it. Has 298,000 miles on it now, dont drive it very much, but still runs good and uses almost no.oil. Doesn't look too good though ;-).
Old 08-22-2014, 9:56 PM

Anymore, you keep your levels up, you'll get a quarter million miles out of just about any car. Just keep diligent on watching the levels, change the oil every 3K. I'm an advocate of never changing tranny fluid if you bought it used. Think it brings on problems. Just my personal opinion.,
Sponsored links

Old 08-22-2014, 10:53 PM

I have an 01 tahoe with 280000 on it and just now having to do any major wprk like all shocks around a few belt pullys and a wheel bearing
Old 08-26-2014, 1:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My Subaru with only 198k is just a pup then!