RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Automotive

Automotive Your car leaking? Want to discuss your cherry GTO? Discuss all engine powered four-wheeled contraptions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 2:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Need Opinions on Long Gun Mount in Expedition.

OK, I think I have managed to figure out where all the cables and extraneous stuff is going to fit in my Expedition. The one remaining question is where should I mount my 10" barrel M16 in my POV? What is anyone's preference, muzzle up or muzzle down? I haven't purchased a mount yet, although we stock SantaCruz locks.

Every patrol car I have ever driven always had the standard muzzles up mount, but from a tactical standpoint it leaves a little to be desired if needing to grab the weapon in a hurry.

What has anyone else done?
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2014, 9:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is between the seats an option? A lot of departments I work on have been using a between the seat standing rack with the handcuff style lock
Old 06-13-2014, 12:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

There is some room there, but the center console and radio stack take up most of that. I was considering offset to the passenger side between the passenger seat and the front, or possibly a vertical mount just to the rear of the center console where the entertainment controls are. The second location would mean I would need to reach behind me to grab the weapon, the first option puts it squarely in the passenger's way.
Old 06-13-2014, 3:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

As this is a POV, I would suggest the cargo area.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2014, 4:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Why the cargo area? That's kinda stupid when you need to get at it. Besides, I already have a spare shotgun back there in the drawer.

In this state anyone is allowed to have a long gun in any vehicle with a loaded magazine attached. You just can't put one in the chamber, its a hunting law. Having my machine gun handy just makes sense. I could legally throw it on the dashboard, but they slide around so much......
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2014, 4:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If you are some place that you need rapid access to long gun, you are in the wrong place to be. (Since we are not talking about a law enforcement or military vehicle.)

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 6:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Since you have no idea of my location, what I do for a living, nor what my personal safety level is, your comment is irrelevant.

I will look for any CONSTRUCTIVE comments if you care to make them. Suffice it to say, that I have always carried a handgun for the last 35 years, and every POV I have ever owned had at least one long gun in it.
Old 06-14-2014, 6:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
Is between the seats an option? A lot of departments I work on have been using a between the seat standing rack with the handcuff style lock
I test fit three different mounts that could be made to fit in that area, the only one that would work for the muzzle down center console option is too large to mount next to the console without obscuring about one third of the passenger seat.

I will dig around here and see if there is any overhead mounts, although I REALLY don't like them, they just seem to rattle more.

I was able to reach the weapon from a mount mounted sideways behind the passenger seat, however, and this would be out of the way of most everything. If I mounted that one muzzle down with the muzzle pointed outboard, that might work.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by com501 View Post
Suffice it to say, that I have always carried a handgun for the last 35 years, and every POV I have ever owned had at least one long gun in it.
Which means nothing, by itself, beyond making yourself sound like a militia whacker. My constructive bit will be not helping someone like that.

Sent via Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2014, 4:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No loss. Retired officer here, don't really care for your opinion anyway, if you don't want to help, fine by me. Sorry you live in a state of euphoria where you think carrying a firearm is unusual. Hope you never need one.
Old 06-16-2014, 4:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

BACK TO THE TOPIC, any other suggestions from anyone?

Anyone mount that overhead gun rack in an SUV before?
Any preference on mount manufacturers? Lock styles?
Old 06-20-2014, 7:09 AM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
Why the cargo area? That's kinda stupid when you need to get at it.......
No......it is not really stupid. And why do you have a spare shotgun may I ask? Kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Why do you have more "Long guns" ( rifles and shotguns ) than you can shoot. Pick one or the other in my opinion -----> the shotgun or the rifle.

If I had my druthers, financial means and firearm assets ; I would not have a rifle, I would have a submachine gun. An H&K submachine gun. 9mm in most places , with the exception of the north central or northwest portion of the country - then I would have the 40 or 45 sub gun. Mountain lions are a terrible thing.

Quote:
In this state anyone is allowed to have a long gun in any vehicle with a loaded magazine attached. You just can't put one in the chamber, its a hunting law. Having my machine gun handy just makes sense. I could legally throw it on the dashboard, but they slide around so much......
It is a terrible thing to 1) Loose a weapon, or cause for a weapon to NOT BE accounted for.

2) Have that weapon by any means or fashion , used against you.....as a club, or
to be shot with it.

3) There are places to use a "Long Gun" ( Shotgun - Rifle - Carbine ) , and
places to not use them. I like weapons of that sort, and .40 & .45 caliber
submachine guns for anti-barrier.... and anti-vehicle ( Engine blocks particularly ).
Shoot the engine, stop the engine = Stopping the vehicle ( Ex = Water jacket - front of engine block,
timing chain, radiator, side of engine block). The vehicle occupant(s) are pretty much limited as to egress.
Surrender or get injured or killed in a sheet metal box. A motor vehicle can be used as a weapon...so stop it to.

4) Alot of times a high cap pistol will serve you just as well as a rifle. Rifles are
needed, mostly when range and bullet energy ( penetration of barriers and
concealed locations is a consideration. Handguns are more mobile and can
provide just as much firepower. BUT, just like a rifle, you must be proficient with
them. I have eleven years of military service. I can fire at multiple positions
faster with a handgun, better than a rifle, and I do better firing at multiple targets
with a handgun than a rifle.

My Recommendations for a "Truck Gun" :

1) HK VP9 Striker Fired Pistol

2) Heckler & Koch - USA

3) Heckler & Koch - USA

4) Heckler & Koch - USA

Heckler & Koch - USA

5) https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProd...ails/p226.aspx

6) https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProd...27-nitron.aspx

7) https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProd...ls/sp2022.aspx

8) Glock 17 Gen4 | G17 Gen4 | 9x19mm | GLOCK USA

9) Glock 22 Gen4 | G22 Gen4 | .40 Caliber Pistol | GLOCK USA

10) Glock 21 | G21 | .45 Caliber Pistol | GLOCK USA

Yes I like the .45 - but compare ballistics of the .45 and the .40 caliber. The 40 caliber in some bullet loads surpasses the .45 and you get more firepower ( rounds in magazine ) out of the .40 caliber load. Velocity and energy comparisions -----> Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

Having a weapon, knowing the how to employ that weapon, as well as being well aware of its limitations is important also. Not to be argumentative, or "smartazz" , but just because you carry a rifle does not mean you are "Definiately dangerous". In some situations.....it could make you more vulnerable.

You must be accurate with that rifle, know how to - and practice regularily ----> 1) Firing from concealed positions 2) Firing from around corners ; firing from both the left and right shoulders. 3) Firing from prone position. 4) Firing from the kneeling position. 5) Firing while standing both left and right shoulders. 6) Firing one handed, WITH NO support arm ( injured arm & shoulder scenerio ) from both the left and right shoulders. 7) know how to clear a malfunction & stoppage----> Perform "Immediate action".

Firing from around corners - posistioning yourself so the ejected brass does not go back into the chamber when firing with the bolt next to the wall.

Just me. I reccommend any Law Enforcement agency / Armed Security Company fire twice a year for qualification with their weapons -----> Handguns, Shotguns, Rifles and Submachine guns. A person needs to be proficient with their weapons, and "Once a year" qualification does not impress me.

There is more to carrying a weapon than meets the eye. Some people watch a crime/drama on television, or an action movie and say....."I can do that". Its fine to have a weapon, but what will happen when YOU get shot at? What happens if that weapon malfunctions or stops....can you "Put it back into service?". What are good weapon retentention practices, and what does one do if they get in a fight "over their weapon?"

Hope I helped.

FF - Medic !!!!

Last edited by ff-medic; 06-20-2014 at 7:16 AM.. Reason: spelling errors - additions
Old 06-20-2014, 7:27 AM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
BACK TO THE TOPIC, any other suggestions from anyone?

Anyone mount that overhead gun rack in an SUV before?
Any preference on mount manufacturers? Lock styles?
I would keep the rifle concealed. It would prevent attempted theft / theft of the rifle, and possible vandalism to your truck. The best security besides the lock / mount / safe, is no one knowing it is there.

Truck Safe and Truck Gun Safes : Truck Bunker Safes

They make aluminum and steel lock boxs that can be mounted in the rear of the vehicle. I have googled and googled and canot find one - but have seen them in "Galls" magazines before ( Galls.Com ). Cover the lock box with a blanket or decor ( cover ) it with a rug, and no one will know it is there. But I reccommend keeping the rifle concealed.

FF - Medic !!!
Old 06-20-2014, 7:37 AM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
What is anyone's preference, muzzle up or muzzle down?
Muzzle down is my opinion. Alot of , if not most police cars have them facing up. In my opinion, I would have them down.

Quote:
Every patrol car I have ever driven always had the standard muzzles up mount, but from a tactical standpoint it leaves a little to be desired if needing to grab the weapon in a hurry.

What has anyone else done?
I still like my idea of a "Truck Gun". Consider it as a backup to you primary sidearm. If not, like I said, if your department has the financial assets and means ( Firearms distributors ) get an H&K Subgun.

Heckler & Koch - USA

FF - Medic !!!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well, this topic is about mounting one of my long guns up front where I can get to it, not about your expertise in weapons.

So let's get that part of the 'd' waving done now. I carry a Glock 22C and/or (depending on time of year and what I am wearing) a Glock 27. I am sitting at my desk right now at work, condition one. 15 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber, plus a spare mag in my 5.11s. This is the MINIMUM that I carry.

I shoot every month, and MUST qualify to FBI standards every quarter. I trained and supervised a SWAT team for 15 years. I know a little bit about weapons. When I retired I moved to a state that is gun friendly, and promptly got an 'evil government contractor' side job. I am allowed to carry on all military installations with the exception of certain facilities in Washington.

I have 5 different machine guns, from a M2 to a Glock 18. I chose to carry my 10" AR machine gun in the vehicle. I just want to have opinions from people who have INSTALLED SUCH WEAPONS IN VEHICLES, not a bunch of opinions from people who know how to wipe.

I have a complete tactical package in the back of my SUV, including a gun safe. It holds three long guns. When I am traveling, there are various other options in there up to an including a Barrett CQ for when I need it on the testing range. I carry the tools of my trade, service equipment, a few hundred rounds of ammo, TAC vest, and a few other things. Occasionally I transport small explosives so the vehicle is placarded if needed. I have the appropriate drivers license endorsements. I go to EVOC training every year.

I AM INTERESTED IN VEHICLE INSTALLATION OPTIONS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE IN THIS AREA, KINDLY KEEP YOUR LEFT WING OPINIONS TO YOURSELF ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT CARRY.
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2014, 11:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff-medic View Post
I would keep the rifle concealed. It would prevent attempted theft / theft of the rifle, and possible vandalism to your truck. The best security besides the lock / mount / safe, is no one knowing it is there.

Truck Safe and Truck Gun Safes : Truck Bunker Safes

They make aluminum and steel lock boxs that can be mounted in the rear of the vehicle. I have googled and googled and canot find one - but have seen them in "Galls" magazines before ( Galls.Com ). Cover the lock box with a blanket or decor ( cover ) it with a rug, and no one will know it is there. But I reccommend keeping the rifle concealed.

With 6 radio control heads, 4 handhelds and $50k worth of radio equipment visible between the seats, I am not really concerned with theft. The vehicle is not low profile and the most insecure place it gets parked is the Motor Pool visitor parking on a base when I visit. I don't leave any of my expensive weapons in the vehicle overnight when I am traveling, it takes too long to get a new Form 4 from ATF.