RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Automotive

Automotive Your car leaking? Want to discuss your cherry GTO? Discuss all engine powered four-wheeled contraptions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 2:18 PM

Default dash cam

Anyone recommend a good dash cam?

MB
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2014, 3:52 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We install Arbitrator cameras at work. Depends on what you want.
Old 07-16-2014, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
We install Arbitrator cameras at work. Depends on what you want.
Looking for something around $100 to 150, and something that can be removed easily. Where I live people don't know the meaning of stop signs, or the red traffic light anymore. Drivers here are getting worse and worse when it comes to even recognizing basic traffic laws,

I have a handheld camera that I like to take with me when I am going to and from work. When I am stopped at a red light I put the camera on and point it straight ahead, When my light turns green, I like to record all the vehicles still going through the intersection on a red light, The other night a guy who was in the right hand turn lane made his right hand turn on a green light, I was going straight through. Anyways this big Ford f250 went barreling through his red light and almost t-boned the guy beside me as he pulled out to make his turn.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Even though this is a small rural area, stopping at stop signs, four way stops, speeding, tailgating, ect, ect is getting worse and worse, here also.

Over the past year or so there have been 2 or 3 fatalties (early 20's) in this area due to speeding.

The Mississippi Highway Patrol estimated the speed of a "young person" (23 I think) driving at 75 miles per hour, when he ran over a Mississippi wildlife Employee and killed him.

The sherifff stated, the speed limit in that area to be 35 miles per hour. He is facing some serious charges.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:36 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Its rediculous here in Philly. ive considered getting dash cams also. I was hit in the right side about 2 months ago by a guy who changed lanes without looking. Did $4500 in damage to my car, about $300 to his. Turns out his license was suspended and expired inspection. Inthink half the problem is lack of enforcement and easier driving tests. Hell, even the CDL drivers do illegal stuff on a daily basis. Its a free-for-all around here.
Old 07-16-2014, 2:34 PM

Just like almost everything, you get what you pay for. Cheap car cams overheat, corrupt memory and just are not reliable. When you need video from an accident, you'll want the best.

To get into the decent range of car cams, get ready to shell out $300 or more. For $300 you can get a cam that you install and forget about it until something happens. $300 gets ya GPS, proximity sensor, motion sensor (camera based), shock sensor, auto save when shock is detected.

Cheaper cams use crap video encode codec I've noticed.

I highly recommend the BlackVue DR500GW-HD.
Old 07-16-2014, 2:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Probably can get an insurance discount out of it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2014, 6:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A few months back, my mom was driving car surprise) side-swiped and "poof" the swiper was gone. I went to the micro-center and bought a suction-cup-mount duo, one for the rear window, the other front dash. Bought 2 cheap super small canon p & s cams, and mounted 'em up. Whole thing cost around $175. The issue of course, is coming up with a way to turn on the cams in time. ESP. if involved in a hit-and-run, with the initial panics and what-nots.

I'll have to check out the real ones. I too (being a 20+ year photographer) always have at least 1 camera (in addition to phone camera) with me at all times anyway, usually another compact...FF /w 70-200 2.8 lens+battery grip is mega unwieldy.

How about those go-pros? They film 720p @ 120fps, new models are supposed to film in 4K, which seem great for the ability to take video of a mega-wide view, yet be able to zoom in on a plate with 4x resolving power of 1080p?
Old 07-17-2014, 9:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

GoPros are expensive. I do have mounts for mine on my dash. 60 fps @ 1080p…no frame rate higher. Mine is a Hero 3+…don't think there is a newer model out yet. They still have to be manually triggered.

At 30 fps and 1080p, they write roughly 2 MB/s. That number goes up to around 2.7 MB/s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 8:54 AM

What's nice about the BlackVue is once you install it, you can forget it.

It will start recording when you start driving, when you park, it goes into motion detect mode where the camera stops recording and looks for motion. When motion is detected, recording starts.

I know a few people with dash cams that didn't turn it on, and got into an accident. That's why, for me, a dash cam you can "set and forget" is the only way to go.
Old 07-19-2014, 8:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I second the DR500GW-HD. I actually have the DR550GW-HD which is the two channel version with separate front and rear cameras. I had it professionally hardwired as well.

I got my first cam after I got into a crash that absolutely wasn't my fault. But there were no witnesses and the officer could not determine the cause without a doubt so we were both held responsible.

Since then I've been collecting lots of bad driving, close calls, even a couple crashes I wasn't involved in. Just look at all the videos on YouTube from Russia and others, they've got the right idea.

I've been through three different makes/models and yes, you get what you pay for. The Blackvue system is great. I use one of my previous models for when I'm in rentals or company cars.

Bottom line, you will need a camera that is powered by your car and turns on with the ignition or else you won't use it. It's too late to turn it on after something happens so you need your commute on video at all times, just like your seatbelt.

Dash Cam Talk may help you as well.

Last edited by tampabaynews; 07-19-2014 at 8:53 PM..
Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

thanks!
Old 08-06-2014, 5:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I like top dawg electronics. I have their premium cam.
Attached Images

Last edited by nc28478; 08-06-2014 at 6:07 PM.. Reason: Gif will not play
Old 08-14-2014, 1:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Where does one go to have a cam professionally
wired into the auto? That sounds by far the best solution. No batteries, pressing the on button!
Old 08-14-2014, 4:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberson View Post
Where does one go to have a cam professionally
wired into the auto? That sounds by far the best solution. No batteries, pressing the on button!
Check with a company that outfits police cars in your area. You might even find that they have a previous generation system that has been replaced, for a discount.

Sent via Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2014, 2:02 AM

first please check its legal or not filming the Street and the Cars, People,...
For example in Austria its not legal to use that and you can get a huge fine if the found one.
Old 10-21-2014, 9:42 AM

The 1st amendment of the US constitution allows filming in public.
» Supreme Court Upholds Right to Film Police, Even in Illinois Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_account View Post
first please check its legal or not filming the Street and the Cars, People,...
For example in Austria its not legal to use that and you can get a huge fine if the found one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swm77662 View Post
The 1st amendment of the US constitution allows filming in public.

As Austria does not care about the US constitution, that does not apply.

The advice to check on the legality in your area is a good one. As an example: Michigan does not allow you to record people without their consent. (Posting a sign that a video recording system is in use, where it is plainly visible, and the person entering the area, constitutes consent.)

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2014, 12:03 PM

I got one at the Source on sale for $50 & another similar one off "E" Bay for $20.
Both seem to work OK. They require a SD card for memory.
Both came with battery and 12V lighter plug.
When plugged in they turn on & off with the ignition.
BTW: placing a handheld operating camera on your dash at stop lights could get you a ticket for using a handheld device under Ontario's distracted drive laws.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
As an example: Michigan does not allow you to record people without their consent. (Posting a sign that a video recording system is in use, where it is plainly visible, and the person entering the area, constitutes consent.)
Does that mean that the Michigan police officers who are wearing body cams carry a sign advising you that they are recording you?

Bay city body worn camera trial testing.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU