RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Automotive

Automotive Your car leaking? Want to discuss your cherry GTO? Discuss all engine powered four-wheeled contraptions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 10:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Subaru Questions

What is the reputation concerning the quality and reliability of subarus?

I have been looking at the new Xv crosstek online and am seriously considering going to the dealer to take the car out for a test drive. I have never owned a Subie before and was wondering about how good these cars are.

I have heard everything from solid as a tank to make sure you tap off the oil every 1000 miles because the engine design is prone to above normal oil burning when compared to a typical 60 or 90 degree v engine. I have also heard issues with head gaskets and issues with blower motors going out prematurely.

With me keeping a car for 10 - 15 years, are replacement parts readily available post warranty from places like auto zone such as starters /alternators /water pumps and how hard are these cars to work on mechanically to do such things as oil changes /brakes / spark plugs

Is there anything else I would need to know that might affect my decision to buy one?

Thanks in advance for your answers
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2014, 10:05 AM

I can answer some of your questions, have a 2012 Forester non-turbo. The Crosstek has 2.0L engine and is based on Impreza, with some changes. There is a class action lawsuit about oil consumption but if you look at various Subaru forums, some have problems and some don't. My own consumption is 1 quart every 5-6K miles. This engine is newer design and should not have head gasket issues common to older models up to the mid-2000s. Engine also has timing chain, not timing belt of previous.

Oil changes are easy, I believe that the oil filter is on top of the engine for the 2.0L, like my 2.5L. Oil drain plug can be accessed without raising the car.

Spark plugs may hard to reach, they will be on my 2.5 because they are on the sides of the engine and near the sheetmetal, will require various adapters to reach the plugs.

Best advice is to peruse the various Subaru forums out there for info. The one I view is Subaruforester.org, which although mostly Forester, has some info on other models.
Old 08-02-2014, 6:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Long time Subaru owner here, my current one is a 2004, so I don't know anything about the new models. Oil filter on the top of the engine? You sure? Yes, the head gasket issues stopped around 1998, and I don't see why the horizontal 4 cylinder engine would go through more oil than any other. Seals begin to leak after time, so sure in 15 years, it's going to drip oil. :^) My 10 year old oil pan is rusty and leaks right through the metal. If the new ones have a timing chain, then that's great, although I would still be sure to do the suggested maintenance to prevent catastrophic failures. My 2004 was over due for it's timing belt change at 197k miles. Three days after I gathered up enough money ~$800, one of the tensioners failed (they should have been changed the last time, but weren't). Being an interference engine, all the valves were bent at freeway speeds giving me a $3k repair bill. I did it myself for about $1k in parts and am back on the road. That was the most extensive repair I had ever done (replace the heads) and I did it with just a simple repair manual and reading the web posts. I used to be hardcore VW, but have switched to Subaru because I love the AWD. That's all I drive now until my last days on the road.

Edit, oh yeah, spark plugs. There is just enough room between the 2.5L block and the car frame to remove the plugs. You have to take out the air box on the passenger side (3 bolts) and the windshield washer on the driver's side (2 bolts I think), but that's it. If you HAVE to raise the motor 2 inches, believe it or not, that's no big deal either. Remove the air filter box, remove 3 bolts from the motor mounts, and jack it up from underneith. No big deal really.
Attached Images

Last edited by k9rzz; 08-02-2014 at 6:20 PM..
Old 08-02-2014, 8:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I drove a WRX every day from 2006 to 2013. (two actually; totaled one on a deer in mid-2007)

Never had any problems with the engine, including occasionally forgetting to change the oil exactly on schedule. The 2.5 turbo'd engine worked really well.

WRXes in particular were known for having 'glass' transmissions - breaking often, but I think they're victims of young males who try to row it aggressively and wreck them. Mine grinds a little, probably a combination of the factory clutch still being in the car at 200k+ miles and a few teeth missing here and there.

One other thing I want to mention is the strength of these cars. I don't know about the Crosstrek specifically, but the WRX style sedans and wagons have a ridiculously strong B-pillar (the vertical post separating the front and rear doors). We (fire/rescuers) have to take special steps to work around them. I have seen in person a Forester that rolled over and the passenger compartment remained intact due to this reinforcement.

I think Subaru cars are well built and good buys. I still have my WRX; I moved up to a pickup truck, but still have the car in case I get an itch for a speedy drive somewhere.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rzz View Post
Oil filter on the top of the engine? You sure?
Here's a link showing oil filter on the upper right, to the right of AC pulley and left of yellow oil fill cap.

Subaru debuts third-generation boxer four-cylinder engine - Autoblog

The new 2.5 was introduced in 2011 Forester and the 2.0 in the 2012 Impreza.
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2014, 9:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sure 'nuff. Crazy man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaH0WOFpx7A
Old 08-03-2014, 9:07 PM

Love.
It's what makes a Subaru,
a Subaru.

That's all I know.
Sorry, not much help.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink Trusty car!

I drive a 2009 Subaru Forester (bought new in 2008) on a news paper delivery route, all stop and go driving in all sorts of weather. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan, big snow country, cold temps, hot in Summer and lots of road salt. 85,000 plus miles and since it is a heavy job on the engine, the oil is changed every 3000 miles with filter, Motocraft semi-synthetic with a Subaru filter. Under wash one a week if possible.
Stop and go driving makes for often work on the brakes, just about twice a year and the rotors have been changed once. Brake fluid will be totally changed this fall. Lube the floating caliper pins with wheel bearing grease so they will not freeze up from rust.... leads to poor brakes if you do not. Change tranny fluid every 60,000 miles plus fliter screen. Do not drive on mixed tires and do not let them ware down to the 'change me' bars! Getting stuck in deep snow is possible but do not rock the car too much. There are two tranny dipsticks, one for the tranny and one for the differential or split drive. Stay away from CVT drives!!!!
These recomendations are for heavy duty service and I think they are minimum. But under normal driving a Subaru will do fine and oil changes can be stretched out to about 5,000 to 7,500 miles if you use synthetic oil. Many Subarus are sold here in the U.P. and with any car they have a few problems. Brake line recall on mine caused by rust. Never hardly driven more than 50 miles away from home!
Most Subarus are made at the old Isuzu assembly plant in LaFayette, Indiana. Someday I will take a tour!

73 poikaa
Old 08-04-2014, 2:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As long as the tires still touch the road, my Subaru will pull through deep snow. Once it starts floating, then it's game over. I *LOVE* driving in snow storms with real snow tires. Leaving red lights at summer speeds and leaving everyone blocks behind without even trying is a blast. :^]
Old 08-04-2014, 3:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rzz View Post
As long as the tires still touch the road, my Subaru will pull through deep snow. Once it starts floating, then it's game over. I *LOVE* driving in snow storms with real snow tires. Leaving red lights at summer speeds and leaving everyone blocks behind without even trying is a blast. :^]
I completly agree!

What antenna do you use mobile John??

73 Rod KB8DNS