Edgerift Emergency Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyjaco

Was just looking through Itunes app store and saw the Emergency Radio App and sure enough they are using radio reference's feeds, maybe its just me but does it tick anyone else off that a third party is making money off something I (we) provide? Hopefully RR is getting a cut from the sales...admin? If not my feed may be coming down.

usswood

Was just looking through Itunes app store and saw the Emergency Radio App and sure enough they are using radio reference's feeds, maybe its just me but does it tick anyone else off that a third party is making money off something I (we) provide? Hopefully RR is getting a cut from the sales...admin? If not my feed may be coming down.

very interesting...Steve Jobs must be feeling better :)

ibagli

They aren't making money off of something we provide. They're making money off of a client that, for free, accesses something we provide. Demanding that they give money to RR would be like demanding that Winamp give RR a cut of all of its sales of Winamp Pro because some people will be using it to listen to our live feeds.

brandon

Database Admin
I am not losing any sleep over it. I have 5 feeds that are primarily for my personal use, as in to enable further reception than my antennas allow... It's just that as a bonus, the public gets to listen as well :)

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
If I remember correctly, Lindsay posted on the "livescanneraudio" yahoo group that RR is working on a license fee for these 3rd party apps that charge money to download. I don't have a status update on it but I know Lindsay was working on it.

Jason

adafire38

They aren't making money off of something we provide. They're making money off of a client that, for free, accesses something we provide. Demanding that they give money to RR would be like demanding that Winamp give RR a cut of all of its sales of Winamp Pro because some people will be using it to listen to our live feeds.

I have a better analogy...

I wonder if it ticks people off that Dell, HP, Microsoft, or any other computer maker/softerware designer are making money off of RR because they (the above computer/software designers) charge for the very same computers/software for people to listen to our feeds.

Emergency Radio and BBScanner are no different. They are charging for an application. Not a monthly fee, but a modest one time fee for the hard work that they put in to making the software that ALLOWS us to listen to our feeds. Without this application, I would be unable to listen to my own feed on my BlackBerry.

Why is this such a hard idea to grasp? I guess I don't understand why people think someone should work for free. And before someone tells me (again) that they provide their feed for free here... let me remind you that you are paid $30 a year by way of a free premium subscription.

DickH

The fear I have about the proliferation of all this live broadcasting of public safety comms is that more misguided police chiefs and fire chiefs will start encrypting their radios and then we all lose..

Status
Not open for further replies.