Troubles with ScannerCast

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETMegabyte

I've been running my feed for a year or more using an old P4 2.0GHz PC with 3GB of ram, running XP 32 bit. It ran flawlessly, except that when the machine got overloaded, scannercast would drop its connection to RR..

To give an idea, I have 2 PCs on my desk, and I use a piece of software to share a single keyboard and mouse. Each PC has it's own monitor. I have my reasons for this setup, but I love it. The second machine is (was) the P4, and it didn't need to be powerful for what it did, it just needed to work.

Well, I've finally outgrown it. I finally wanted to do something I just couldn't make happen on the slower machine, so I upgraded it to a Core i3 3.1GHz with 8GB of RAM in a Shuttle case. It's running Windows 7 64 bit.

When I made the cut over, right away I had issues. I simply copied the scannercast directory from the old machine to the new machine and tried to run it. Right away it gave me an error saying the default input was not available, is it connected? It would then give me the option to continue or quit. Whichever I chose, the program seemed unresponsive and I had to "end task" it.

Finally I modified the .ini file to stop it from trying to broadcast on startup, opened it, selected the right input, and tried to broadcast, and it blew up again, saying it was unavailable...

So I went into the control panel and in tinkering around in there, I was able to force it to activate. For whatever reason it wasn't detecting anything plugged into it. Eventually I got it working. Selected the proper input in scanner cast, and got it going again...

But it's been running about two hours, and it blew up. This is the error from the error log:

Code:
26-Jun-2012 19:55:20	ScannerCast V0.14 (10307)
26-Jun-2012 19:55:20	Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the port is denied.
   at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
   at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError()
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Finalize()

Afterthought. I also read through the regular scannercast.log file, and it gave me a better error:

Code:
26-Jun-2012 19:42:56	PollComPort: I/O Exception -- COM port access failed COM port COM3
The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

26-Jun-2012 19:55:59	*****************************

Am I wrong or does this mean that it had a problem with the usb cable that it gets the tag information from? If it blows up again, can I just stop using the cable and disable sending tags altogether? That should resolve that problem, right?

Also, as a side note, it tells me on start up that it found an error log, asks if I would like to mail it, I say yes, and it then gives me an error saying that it the mail server requires outgoing authentication... *shrug* Should I mail it manually? What e-mail address should I mail it to?

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
ScannerCast setup

While copying all the files from one installation to another seems like a good idea, it has drawbacks. At the very least your audio sources WILL be different.

What I did to do this was rename the copied ini files, create new ini files, then merge the two. There were some settings I wanted from the original files and some that need to be created on the new machine. I've never liked the way SC attempts to append unique numbers to each audio source, it causes a LOT of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.