RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Broadcastify Administration

Broadcastify Administration - Administration topics for Broadcastify.com. This forum is for Broadcastify feed providers to get support from Broadcastify Admins. Other audio questions go here: Streaming /Broadcasting / Audio Recording forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 11:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Only problem is if you like to listen to multiple feeds, it becomes more of an issue. Not everyone uses their phone or tablet, and it was nice to listen to several, or more, feeds at once on the PC as well as the mobile device apps.I'm not sure if there are any approved programs for monitoring multiple feeds. There were a few, but not sure if they are supported anymore.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2018, 5:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Feed Owners

And without feed owners, how useful would Broadcastify be? Sure, there are a hundred or so "official feed" providers, but the vast majority of the feeds are provided by scanner enthusiasts and users of this site. So, while it sucks that there are a few developers who are circumventing the company's preferred process, inconveniencing the loyal users/feed providers/premium subscribers kinda feels like a low blow to me. IDK, maybe I'm just being hypersensitive. Also, some communication about this from the beginning would have been nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkescan View Post
I use Winamp too, but have no complaints. Takes 10 seconds to go to Broadcastify to restart it, once a day.
Feed owners are getting a great deal for FREE, Can't really complain about something you get for free, especially when somebody is spending a LOT of money for this service. See what you can get for free if you take down your feed and go someplace else. We just click on a couple things to start our feeds, and can easily share with just a URL. With Broadcastify you never have to worry about feed problems, you know it will be back up soon, without you being at home messing around with anything, or making calls or sending emails to whoever you are paying to have your feed online.
Old 04-11-2018, 9:31 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfeather View Post
And without feed owners, how useful would Broadcastify be? Sure, there are a hundred or so "official feed" providers, but the vast majority of the feeds are provided by scanner enthusiasts and users of this site. So, while it sucks that there are a few developers who are circumventing the company's preferred process, inconveniencing the loyal users/feed providers/premium subscribers kinda feels like a low blow to me. IDK, maybe I'm just being hypersensitive. Also, some communication about this from the beginning would have been nice.
If a feed provider leaves, they'll eventually be replaced with another. It is a tired old argument that you and others have. It was known long ago (many many years ago) that nobody should count on absolute feed URLs to remain perpetually the same. It was for the same reason then as it is now -- theft. People had wanted to take the free [to listen to] feeds and place them on their own sites, with no attribution to RR/Broadcastify and basically using RR's platform for free.

The app I use on my phone hasn't had a problem playing my preferred feeds for years, and I've had no issues browsing to Broadcastify and playing any feed I've wanted to listen to over time.

Mike
Old 04-11-2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:

So, while it sucks that there are a few developers who are circumventing the company's preferred process,
The issue is very far removed from a "preferred process" by RR. It involves legally stipulated licensing requirements.

Old 04-12-2018, 1:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Great. Nice to know that feed providers are disposable. This has been very positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
If a feed provider leaves, they'll eventually be replaced with another. It is a tired old argument that you and others have. It was known long ago (many many years ago) that nobody should count on absolute feed URLs to remain perpetually the same. It was for the same reason then as it is now -- theft. People had wanted to take the free [to listen to] feeds and place them on their own sites, with no attribution to RR/Broadcastify and basically using RR's platform for free.

The app I use on my phone hasn't had a problem playing my preferred feeds for years, and I've had no issues browsing to Broadcastify and playing any feed I've wanted to listen to over time.

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2018, 1:46 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Great. Nice to know that feed providers are disposable. This has been very positive.
Shouldn't be a surprise. If you work, you aren't indespensable. The company you work for can always hire someone else to take your place, and usually will can you and do just that if you aren't cutting the mustard. The same applies to me. Anybody who thinks they or the service they provide is irreplaceable has a huge ego and likely some bad surprise waiting for them down the road.

You are quite aware that I wasn't suggesting that feed providers are disposable (like trash) or in any way unappreciated. I'm just stating the hard facts. If a provider wants to stop providing a feed that is used at all by the masses, in all likelihood another person will come along and provide the feed. It happens all the time.

Mike
Old 04-12-2018, 2:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Im certainly not going to argue with you. You very clearly stated that feed providers are disposable. This has been a very unpleasant experience, which is unexpected from an admin. I have an office full of several scanner enthusiasts reading this thread with me right now, including feed providers. I'm not alone in the way I feel or in the way I interpret the company's attitude toward providers (and paying customers).

I'll end this discussion by letting you know that there will be a few less premium subscription renewals now.
With customer service like this, I'll gladly program my radios by hand from now on. Thanks for chiming in. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Shouldn't be a surprise. If you work, you aren't indespensable. The company you work for can always hire someone else to take your place, and usually will can you and do just that if you aren't cutting the mustard. The same applies to me. Anybody who thinks they or the service they provide is irreplaceable has a huge ego and likely some bad surprise waiting for them down the road.

You are quite aware that I wasn't suggesting that feed providers are disposable (like trash) or in any way unappreciated. I'm just stating the hard facts. If a provider wants to stop providing a feed that is used at all by the masses, in all likelihood another person will come along and provide the feed. It happens all the time.

Mike
Old 04-12-2018, 3:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I understand the reason for the change, but it would have been nice to read that it was an intentional change and the explanation for it when people first started reporting what they were observing.
Old 04-12-2018, 6:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

As a long time feed provider going back to the days of Gordon's Scan America platform, I can certainly understand the business justification behind the url's changing. On the other hand, I can also relate to those that are less than satisfied with the lack of communication (response) regarding the urls's changing when this issue was first raised. It also doesn't help to have an admin offering hard line sarcasm to a legitimate concern. Volunteer feed providers are indeed an integral part of this platform.
Old 04-12-2018, 6:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Why are you guys so worried and nothing against Mike about a database admin speaking his thoughts on the subject? If it was a moderator or part of the live audio administration I might understand the concern.
Old 04-12-2018, 7:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Mule1075:

Thanks for the reply. I believe the main concern is centered around communication. The issue was first raised on 3/28 in the Broadcastify / Live Audio Listener Support forum. There was no response/reply until 4/4 when a member requested a reply in this forum. Lindsey's detailed response on 4/10 pretty much cleared the air and was appreciated (speaking for myself as one member/feed provider).
Old 04-14-2018, 5:49 PM

Now the links no longer work on iTunes.
Old 04-14-2018, 7:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I understand the need to change URLs to keep the licensed folks happy. However, the least that could be done is to make sure that the links to play the feeds in WInamp actually work. I tried about 10 feeds today, and all of them said "Error syncing to stream" as if the actual output stream is being purposefully malformed as well to curb the "abuse". It may do that, but now you've alienated the regular users who are going to the website as you wish us to every day for a new link. I was planning on providing a stream for my part of southeast Massachusetts once I got back into my house after the renovations are done, but now I will not be putting it on this platform. Instead, I'll host it myself. You've lost a potential contributor with this.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Founder and CEO
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1gye View Post
I understand the need to change URLs to keep the licensed folks happy. However, the least that could be done is to make sure that the links to play the feeds in WInamp actually work. I tried about 10 feeds today, and all of them said "Error syncing to stream" as if the actual output stream is being purposefully malformed as well to curb the "abuse". It may do that, but now you've alienated the regular users who are going to the website as you wish us to every day for a new link. I was planning on providing a stream for my part of southeast Massachusetts once I got back into my house after the renovations are done, but now I will not be putting it on this platform. Instead, I'll host it myself. You've lost a potential contributor with this.
Ok, I guess?

I mean, do we just undo everything so that our licensed partners suffer, money is effectively stolen from the platform, just so we can have your stream? 🤔
Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Angry

Then maybe remove all of the external player options from the drop-down menus, and provide us a player in HTML5 that doesn't randomly quit after 10-20 minutes and force a full browser restart to continue listening??
Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1gye View Post
Then maybe remove all of the external player options from the drop-down menus, and provide us a player in HTML5 that doesn't randomly quit after 10-20 minutes and force a full browser restart to continue listening??
Winamp and Windows Media Player are working just fine. Also listening to my feed most of the morning on the HTML5 player and have not had to restart.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule1075 View Post
Winamp and Windows Media Player are working just fine. Also listening to my feed most of the morning on the HTML5 player and have not had to restart.
Same here ... I've not experienced any problems with those players.

"Yeah, I have some radios ... I listen to some stuff ..."
Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Just to make sure I tried on Windows 7 and 10 and multiple browser's. And all is working fine.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

UPDATE: Just started working again. Not sure why. Nothing changed on my end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so I just tried to play my own feeds here on Broadcastify using WinAmp from the drop down and I get the "error syncing to the stream" message that several other members have posted about in the Broadcastify / Live Audio Listener Support forum. I get the the error on Win 7, Win 10 using either Chrome or IE. It would be greatly appreciated if an Admin here can please reply back with what the issue is? Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by NYRHKY94; 04-16-2018 at 8:13 AM..
Old 04-17-2018, 7:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Since this change I have received about a half dozen feed complaints about not being able to stream. The users don't go into much detail other than "it won't play" I run an anonymous feed so I don't respond but I suspect it is tied to the change that was made a few weeks ago.