Commercial Source Generating/Linking To Feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Does RR have a policy about a commercial enterprise, such as a local newspaper, (a) providing a (traditional, open) public safety feed through RR, (b) Pointing users to a feed provided by RR, or (c) Embedding a Flash player on their commercial site that links to an RR feed?

Inquiring minds and all,

Peter
K1PGV

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, right now they can't do that technically... they can link to a feed all they want, but the actual playlists and links change often and expire after a set amount of time to prevent this type of activity.

We are reviewing plans for more commercial services - everything from private feeds to allow just as you described above. However, we're getting the infrastructure set and straight first.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Sorry, I'm more confused now. I'm not sure I was clear in what I was asking, so let me clarify, and then I'll try to re-state your answer to make sure I understand.

Lots of folks have links on their web sites to RR scanner feeds, right? Private web sites, fire departments, etc.

So, let's say my hometown newspaper wants to do the same thing. They want to put a Flash player pointing to an Icecast mount point, or just an http: link, to a RR scanner feed. This will be on their site, but accessible (at no charge) to anyone in the community who might be interested.

Just like I might put a link to my scanner feed hosted by RR on my own K1PGV.COM web site, right?

What I THINK I heard you say:

a) There's no RR rule that would prohibit them from doing this, just because the referring link is on a web site that owned by a for-profit company;

b) They would have to be responsible for maintaining the link... as it could change over time;

Is that correct?

PLEASE understand that I'm not trying to argue, not in any way. I'm just trying to understand the policy.

Peter
K1PGV

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Peter,

A link to the RR scanner feed is fine (a link to the feed's details page)

The mount points are not made available to the general public, so it will be rather difficult for someone to point a remote flash player to a mount point that they don't know about. We control access to the mount points through dynamic playlists that we serve up.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Peter,

A link to the RR scanner feed is fine (a link to the feed's details page)

The mount points are not made available to the general public, so it will be rather difficult for someone to point a remote flash player to a mount point that they don't know about. We control access to the mount points through dynamic playlists that we serve up.

Lindsay,

I think what Peter's looking for info on would be embedding the web based player on a 3rd party website, similar to the way you offer the ability to embed frequency and talkgroup data from the database. I think that would be great and I'd be interested in acquiring a license for that capability as well for my own website that I'm currently in the planning stages on.

Is that something you've got up your sleeve for the future perhaps? If so (and it's not too pricey) sign me up. :D

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.