Showing offline, yet still streaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

adafire38

Strange... everything in Kent County is showing up offline - yet I can still hear the stream.

When I checked BBScanner, it was showing all the feeds as offline, yet I could still connect and listen.

Possibly due to the McAffe snafu?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Looks like a widespread system glitch occurred with one of the servers at around 4:16 PM CST.

N2JDS

It's even emailed me saying my feeds are down. All while I sit here and listen to my feeds magically from across town.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
A good example of why feed providers shouldn't instantly lose their access to the database when a feed goes down.

Mike

mdulrich

Feed Provider
I didn't know that happened

Yes you lose your access to advanced features that you receive for being a feed provider when your feed goes offline.

I was just notified my feed is back "online" even though it never was.

Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A good example of why feed providers shouldn't instantly lose their access to the database when a feed goes down.

Mike

100% agreed. There should be a grace period of minimum 15 minutes, ideally at least 1 hour.

There are more effective ways to curtail abuse of the system than to have it disconnect immediately. For starters, monitoring feeds to make sure they have a minimum % of uptime per day, and have the system send the audio admins a daily report of those which fall below the threshold they set. Maybe that ought to be the standard for losing your premium status, if you don't maintain a certain minimum % of uptime per day, you shouldn't be entitled to the premium membership.

N2JDS

So if I take my unit offline to reprogram, using RadioReference through my software, does that mean I have to pay for a subscription, just for that time? Good thing I have two feeds online.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So if I take my unit offline to reprogram, using RadioReference through my software, does that mean I have to pay for a subscription, just for that time? Good thing I have two feeds online.

No, you don't have to pay. Connect the software to RR and download the database updates before you take the feed offline and upload the changes to the scanner. Problem solved.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

We had a script that malfunctioned this afternoon that caused the problem - we got everything back up and running properly at about 5:00 PM.

Now, on to the comments... :)

100% agreed. There should be a grace period of minimum 15 minutes, ideally at least 1 hour.

I disagree. The more we can "incentivize" providers to keep their feeds running, and to restore their service as soon as possible if they go down, will result in a better user experience.

I'm not sure what you mean by losing access to the database? I'm assuming premium subscription features... in any case, I suspect a 45 min outage didn't cause the world to come to an end because you lost your premium subscription for 45 min. Come on, let's be realistic.

In any case, we're back up, and we're sorry about the outage. With a platform as complex as this, every once in a while we're bound to have a hickup or two.

Warm regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.