Thin Client help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5pck

Hello all,
I have two HP Thin Clients that I would like to use to stream some feeds. The problem is that I have pulled out my hair trying to get these configured to use the streaming program. I have given up on trying to get this done myself. This leaves me with two options: 1) throw these two units on eBay and sell them or 2) get some help from someone here.
If anyone here is already using a Thin Client and would be interested in configuring my two units to do the same, I would be willing to discuss monetary compensation to do so. I would like to be clear here, I have no more interest or patience to try to get these units up and running myself. I want to pay someone to do so. If anyone is interested, please reply to me directly at kd5pck at gmail.com.
Thanks in advance.

richtidd

Database Admin
Hello all,
I have two HP Thin Clients that I would like to use to stream some feeds. The problem is that I have pulled out my hair trying to get these configured to use the streaming program. I have given up on trying to get this done myself. This leaves me with two options: 1) throw these two units on eBay and sell them or 2) get some help from someone here.
If anyone here is already using a Thin Client and would be interested in configuring my two units to do the same, I would be willing to discuss monetary compensation to do so. I would like to be clear here, I have no more interest or patience to try to get these units up and running myself. I want to pay someone to do so. If anyone is interested, please reply to me directly at kd5pck at gmail.com.
Thanks in advance.

I have 2 running feeds.

ScannerCast and Radio Feed require .net 2.0 framework on the computer.
If it s not there they will not run.

Oddcast does not need any .net framework & works fine on TC's.
See here to get it: http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/1/1a/OddcastSetup.zip

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Trash them.

They are extremely annoying. I've had two I've given up on completely. The problem is none are supported, meaning you cant get drivers anywhere, and the fact the hardware won't even run basic applications. I had to actually take the case off the computer, find the audio chipset, and read the ID number from it and search in vain for generic set of drivers. Windows XP SP3 was used on them.

With my setup, I stream one feed with alpha tags, and use a second scanner solely for twotonedetect. For starters, the sound card will only accept one input. Ok fine, I just used my USB sound card. I then had a problem of no sound output to my speakers for alerting. I did everything under the sun and still could not get the audio to play right with either sound card. Since my setup was headless (meaning no monitor or keyboard), I used TeamViewer for a remote desktop (which is pretty lightweight). Using teamviewer maxed out the VIA Ezra 800MHz CPU to the max and response time for each button press was about 5 seconds...enough to drive you to insanity. Finally, audio skips and encoding issues were present on my feed as it just took to many resources, even with teamviewer disconnected. Also, with the VIA chipsets, a LOT of x86 instructions are missing which means a lot of applications wont work and you'll have a lot of bugs doing even simple things. Small form factor PC's using Intel Atom processors are fine since they have plenty of horsepower and use true x86 architecture.

It's not impossible to get them to work, but they are a headache. I literally got so mad at one of them I threw it out the second story window. Personally, it's best to use a USB sound card and just connect it straight into your PC and use it that way. If you are going to use one, find one that already has Windows and the drivers installed, and you will have less issues.

Last edited:

kd5pck

I am actually shipping my units to someone today that says he can work some magic with them. If he gets the job done, I will be sure to rave about him here.

NR8O

Scott, I understand your frustration. It took me several days to get my thin client up and running, and without a bit of a computer background I would have had a much harder time. I'm running a HP T5720 with dual feeds and once I got it set up it has been incredibly stable. The only times I have had to mess with it is after a power failure. The thing just sits there for months at a time in my spare bedroom feeding away. Good luck!

K7AZ

Feed Provider
Thin Client t5740e?

Hello,
Has anyone attempted to use a HP Thin Client t5740e for scanner feed?
These are embedded Windows 7. I am trying to get it to auto run after reboot.

Thank you,
Chris K7AZ

K7AZ

Feed Provider
TC5740e Up & Running With ScannerCast

After several hours on the phone with another ham with a TC 5730 we have managed to set up the TC 5740e with dot NET Framework 4.0 and ScannerCast. Upon reboot, it starts the SC program, then I clicked on the SC option to Run Upon Start Up, and it seems to be feeding to RR. In the Microphone Properties, I see DC Offset, Noise Suppression and Acoustic Echo Cancellation settings to try out.
More updates as things progress.

Rob1956

Feed Provider
I also gave up. I bought a 2 GB flash memory and tried over and over again to install XP embedded on it and it never worked. Decided to buy a netbook with a solid state hard drive on ebay for about $120. It's power brick is rated at 3 watts and it just sips power. It's been chugging along for almost 2 years now with no problems. Might be an alternative.

K7AZ

Feed Provider
Finally Joy Using TC !

I contacted RR support and they said I was not the first to have issues with missing audio card problems using Remote Desk Top access and they suggested ProScan 6.2.
After looking at the screen shots, I D/L it and fiddled around with it under their free demo. I then plugged in the thumb drive with it to the TC and copied it to the desk top.
I then deleted ScannerCast and all the Dot Net Framework programs
Then I ran ProSoft and entered RR access into, picked my scanner type, selected Broadcast Feed Enable and it works like a champ and starts right up after re-booting the TC power.
One minor nit with the TC is that the Task Manager does not allow one to Reboot the machine like my D800 laptop did. I will have to cycle TC power some how, but maybe never if ProScan is stable enough.
I will post updates as they happen.

K7AZ

Feed Provider
Update On TC Interface

As you might know, I just upgraded my feed computer to an HP Thin Client with ProScan 6.2 software. I thought the missing Audio Input with RDT would be history but not so.

A friend of mine suggested using TeamViewer and it works great and does not alter the Audio Input settings like RDT.

Another low cost upgrade was adding the USB1 interface to the scanner for Alpha Tags and remote control. BTW: You have to use the JAVA Player to see the tags.

It is very cool to have virtual access to the remote scanner and ProScan has great tools for logging.
Currently am refining audio levels for each channel as needed.

Chris
K7AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.