Problems with drop outs with Radio Reference streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidkc

Hi guys,

Over last week , maybe longer, have had many drop outs with my 2 streams, 8720 and 9856 , proscan and radiofeed would show messages " unable to connect to radio reference server. "

This happened 11pm AEST last night.

Would you please advise the problem and is it because of Broadcastfy.

Thanks
David

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi guys,

Over last week , maybe longer, have had many drop outs with my 2 streams, 8720 and 9856 , proscan and radiofeed would show messages " unable to connect to radio reference server. "

This happened 11pm AEST last night.

Would you please advise the problem and is it because of Broadcastfy.

Thanks
David
Are you running AVG anti-virus software. That program interrupts the TCP stream so I would use something else.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Both of your feeds seem to be online and working at this time, and very well I might add.

You could be receiving false messages or interruptions due to the Broadcastify changeover, as I and others have.

I believe I am having the same issue. I connect to audio9.radioreference.com and for the past two days it drops the connection with the server seeming to be offline (when trying to ping it, all I get is "reply timed out"). After a little while, it comes back up (pingable) and it reconnects.

Redneck0410

I've been having this issue for two days. I know it isn't my internet connection because I have other computers hooked to this same connection and no dropouts. I know it's not an AVG issue because I don't use AVG. Must be the BCFY changeover. Hopefully it gets squared away.

davidkc

I now have email from 6 hours ago, saying my main police stream is down, yet im 4 hours drive away..

Its effecting more than my stream now, surely Admin can see and fix this problem soon as possible.

Thanks
David

davidkc

My feed 8720 offline now until i get back home on 17th .. have now put status message.. never had i so much trouble over last week.. My stream would run for weeks end without offline messages.. AVG , well that obv wasnt a problem.. ?

Help Request now been sent!! See if they can sort the problem.

Dave

Last edited:

Ryan8429

I am also having problems with this same issue. Where my feed drops out for 15 to 20min at a time. Is this a problem on my end or something else out of my control?

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
I believe I am having the same issue. I connect to audio9.radioreference.com and for the past two days it drops the connection with the server seeming to be offline (when trying to ping it, all I get is "reply timed out"). After a little while, it comes back up (pingable) and it reconnects.

It sounds like there was a network problem somewhere between you and our servers. If it happens again you might try running "tracert audio9.radioreference.com" to see where the problem is. This will show the packets are taking to get to our servers and (while the problem is happening) will show you how far packets are getting before they're being dropped. Running it again after the problem goes away will allow you to see what the next machine was in the path after the point when they were being dropped.

-- Gordon

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
I am also having problems with this same issue. Where my feed drops out for 15 to 20min at a time. Is this a problem on my end or something else out of my control?

I recommend that you use a tool called Ping Plotter to monitor the network path between your computer and the audio server your audio is being sent to. If the program is running the next time a drop occurs you can send me the data files its generates for me to look at to see if I can see where the problem occurred.

You can download the program by going to http://www.pingplotter.com/downloads/pngplt_std.exe

After you install it and run it:

- Enter "audio9.radioreference.com" in the "Address to Trace" field in the upper-left corner of the window.
- Change the "Trace Interval" value to 1 second.
(optional) Click on the horizontal line that is displayed above the small graph in the bottom-right area of the window and drag it up to make the response time graph larger.
- Select Options from the Edit menu and then select Auto-Save. Put a check in the "Auto-save data" checkbox and then click on the Apply and OK buttons.
- Click on the Trace button in the bottom-left corner of the window.

The next time your feed goes offline, see if the graph in the bottom-right area of the window indicates any problems (the response time graph should look different than it did when you started the program). Also, e-mail me the files in the "C:\Program Files\PingPlotter Standard" directory that begin with "audio9..." which would contain data from the timeframe when your feed went down. The files are written every 30 minutes and the starting time for each file is contained in the filename.

-- Gordon

It sounds like there was a network problem somewhere between you and our servers. If it happens again you might try running "tracert audio9.radioreference.com" to see where the problem is. This will show the packets are taking to get to our servers and (while the problem is happening) will show you how far packets are getting before they're being dropped. Running it again after the problem goes away will allow you to see what the next machine was in the path after the point when they were being dropped.

-- Gordon

Gordon,
Thanks for the reply.

Something new happened today. I was running the "regular" ping.exe program on my server and pinging audio9.radioreference.com (this was before I read your suggestion to use tracert). The connection was dropped but would not reconnect and I was receiving replies to the pings. I had to shut the program (RadioFeed) down and sometimes it would connect when I started it back up but right now it isn't.

I did the tracert right now, since the RadioFeed program says it is still unable to connect even though I am getting replies back from the pings to audio9.radioreference.com . The tracert completed successfully, which is making me wonder why I cannot connect if I am pinging and tracing it fine.

Well, it came back up just now. So, I installed and am running the PingPlotter program and the next time it goes down I will send you the saved data.

Update: I happened to be sitting in front of my server when the feed went down. I noticed in PingPlotter that pretty much all of the "hops" (nodes? ... whatever you call the "stops" between my computer and the audio9.radioreference.com server) went into "ERR" and the connection was dropped. That only lasted about 2 or 3 seconds, and then everything in PingPlotter was showing that it was fine. I had the auto-reconnect turned on in RadioFeed and it would not re-connect, though PingPlotter was showing all of the packets were getting through. I even shut down RadioFeed and restarted it, but it still would not connect. It almost looks like the server is refusing the connections but is able to be pinged.

Gordon, would you like me to e-mail you the PingPlotter logs?

davidkc

I have also sent on logs to Gordon this morning.. ! Seems as 100 % packet loss is there , causing the complete drop out!
When i close down radio feed and start, works fine! Only few hours or less, drops out again.

Im away for 7 days as of tomorrow, would like to see this fixed as not to have to get my wife to reset stream each time it goes offline.

Dave

Well, I restarted it this morning and *knock on wood* it is still up. I had some momentary loss of signals according to PingPlotter but it has stayed connected so far. We'll see if it makes it through the night.

I also turned off WPS on my router, but I am not sure if that changed anything because last night it still dropped even after I turned it off.

davidkc

Ive had my stream off line again a few hours ago, back online now, but for how long!

I have to wonder when and if this will be fixed?

Dave

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Ive had my stream off line again a few hours ago, back online now, but for how long!

I have to wonder when and if this will be fixed?

Dave

From the logs, I can see that the problem you're seeing is due to network issues within TelstraGlobal's network, a network that your packets pass through along their journey to our servers (your computer -> Telstra -> Reach -> TelstraGlobal -> NetworkLayer -> our data center). When it's fixed will depend upon TelstraGlobal.

-- Gordon

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Update: I happened to be sitting in front of my server when the feed went down. I noticed in PingPlotter that pretty much all of the "hops" (nodes? ... whatever you call the "stops" between my computer and the audio9.radioreference.com server) went into "ERR" and the connection was dropped.

Each of the hops is a network router that relays the packets from one hop to the next. If you saw all of the hops change to red and say ERR then that would imply that the problem (at that time) existed between your computer and your router/cable modem. If all of the hops changed to ERR except for the first one then that would imply that the problem was between your router/cable modem and your Internet Service Provider. If some of the earlier hops look fine (aren't showing packet loss) and all the rest are, then that's a clue that the problem exists within a network that your packets pass through on their way to our servers. If you see a single row in the middle of the list of hops that says ERR and/or is red but ones after it look okay then you can ignore it, that would be caused by a router that doesn't return ping replies.

That only lasted about 2 or 3 seconds, and then everything in PingPlotter was showing that it was fine. I had the auto-reconnect turned on in RadioFeed and it would not re-connect, though PingPlotter was showing all of the packets were getting through. I even shut down RadioFeed and restarted it, but it still would not connect. It almost looks like the server is refusing the connections but is able to be pinged.

It's possible that the Icecast server (the audio server software we use) didn't realize RadioFeed's connection to the server was lost. Anytime Icecast is receiving a stream (or thinks it is) for a mount point it'll reject all other attempts by streaming programs to send audio to that same mount point (since it's not possible for two programs to send audio for the same feed at the same time). At some point the Icecast server would realize that RadioFeed's connection to the server had been lost and it'll then allow RadioFeed to establish a new connection.

Gordon, would you like me to e-mail you the PingPlotter logs?

Yes, you can send them to me at audio@radioreference.com

-- Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.