Unknown Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_3776

I am trying to improve the sound quality on the two feeds (Troup County, Georgia (GA) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com)

I am trying to figure out what is causing the sound during radio transmissions. I would describe it as a digital hum or scrambled sound that is lower than the transmission audio. I am using a ground loop isolator on both feeds, but I feel like the audio could be improved a lot. The sound is not heard locally but only when it is broadcasted.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Mike

mikey_3776

Thanks for the reply. I will adjust the volume down. I was adjusting the volume last night trying to figure it out. I can eliminate the constant static, but I can't figure out what the sound is that is mixed in with the transmissions.

What I think you are hearing is noise being digitized. I have the same sort of sound on my fire/aid feed. I do not mean the hum you here when there is no talking, wait for some action.

My Police feed does not have this noise, the only difference is my fire/aid feed is using the on-board soundcard and my police feed is using a soundblaster in the PCI slot in the same computer.

Only solution is a better soundcard.

mikey_3776

Bellingham_Scanner, Thanks! "digitized" is a way I would describe it. I know there is a hum when the scanner is scanning, honestly I created the hum by trying various cables and adjusting the volume. But the sound I am trying to eliminate is the sound when a radio transmission is being received.

If this helps narrow it down, or describe the sound, it is the same sound that can be heard on satellite radios, just not near as loud. I noticed today that the same digitized sound can be heard on my satellite radio in my vehicle. It is just at a much lower level, hardly noticeable but it is there and it sounds like a digital sound.

I will upgrade the sound card and see if that helps. I will add that I have been using an on board sound card and USB sound card. Both sound cards are cheap and low quality, so a higher quality sound card would be worth it either way.

Thanks Again!

citylink_uk

Database Admin
Bellingham_Scanner, Thanks! "digitized" is a way I would describe it. I know there is a hum when the scanner is scanning, honestly I created the hum by trying various cables and adjusting the volume. But the sound I am trying to eliminate is the sound when a radio transmission is being received.

If this helps narrow it down, or describe the sound, it is the same sound that can be heard on satellite radios, just not near as loud. I noticed today that the same digitized sound can be heard on my satellite radio in my vehicle. It is just at a much lower level, hardly noticeable but it is there and it sounds like a digital sound.

I will upgrade the sound card and see if that helps. I will add that I have been using an on board sound card and USB sound card. Both sound cards are cheap and low quality, so a higher quality sound card would be worth it either way.

Thanks Again!

It also sounds like some kind of processing or noise reduction on the audio. Have a look at the audio card settings for the Line In or Microphone and see if any boxes are ticked.

Status
Not open for further replies.