Static and/or low sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbjr

All of a sudden i see my sound is almost nothing.Its very low,or not even there.One day it worked and the next it didnt.It sits here and nobody bothers it,so how do I have so many issues with this sound?

QDP2012

All of a sudden i see my sound is almost nothing.Its very low,or not even there.One day it worked and the next it didnt.It sits here and nobody bothers it,so how do I have so many issues with this sound?

Since you mention "many issues", it sounds like this is not the first time you encountered this problem. What troubleshooting have you done already and what results did you find from those efforts?

In case you have not already tried these steps, maybe these will help identify what happened:
  • Use the archives to find the date and time of the last good-quality recording. This might give a clue as to when the signal-quality changed.
  • Check with the RR admins to see if any server problems occured on or about the date and time of the last good archive.
  • Use another device near the computer to check the quality of the sound-card's output.
  • Adjust the scanner's volume control to see if even a minor adjustment would fix the problem. Maybe the unit got a little piece of dust inside?
  • Try headphones on the scanner to verify that its output is strong before it reaches the computer.
Hope this helps,

Last edited:

QDP2012

Also, I am not sure why I first thought you were describing yourself as a feed-provider. (Edit: It was from this forum's name.) If you simply are having problems with your scanner receiving signals (and if this is not related to a RR/Broadcastify feed which you provide) then my first two suggestions above would not be applicable.

• If you are having local reception problems, there might be some other signal causing inteference. Try relocating the scanner and see if the signal quality improves.
  • If relocation has no effect, then use headphones to see if the problem is the speaker itself.
As you report your findings here, more people will be able to give specific assistance.

EDIT: In case this gives additional ideas, this thread from the same forum seems to describe a similar problem, though the solution might not match your circumstances:
Crazy static on scanner channel - Looking for assistance.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

mjbjr

I am a feed provider (Unless i misread the post). I tried all the above,except go back to archives. But it seems to be some weird stuff going on. We had some really bad weatehr cmoe threw here tonight,and for over 20 minutes,i didnt hear squat,Fire,pd,So,GSP,EMA,Ems,not even enginering. I looked on the SO feed and it had over 180 people listening. Now i downloaded from the scanner and checked to make sure it was all there and it was. So i uploaded the exact file i just downloaded,and all works now...I dont understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.