HTML5 audio stream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmicu

Greetings,

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, I've been searching around for about twenty minutes and cannot seem to find any information.

Is it possible to stream live audio with an HTML5 audio tag rather than Flash? I am trying to add a player to a mobile site and, naturally, most smartphones do not support Flash.

Thanks!

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I noticed by accident a couple of weeks ago that I could use another player besides the iTunes Player and I could hear the feed on my iPhone. I just checked and I could use all players except for real player and WMP. I don't know what changed an if the change was to HTML5 but it now works.

nightmicu

I noticed by accident a couple of weeks ago that I could use another player besides the iTunes Player and I could hear the feed on my iPhone. I just checked and I could use all players except for real player and WMP. I don't know what changed an if the change was to HTML5 but it now works.

Perhaps I phrased my question wrong - is there a way to embed my feed on a page without using the Flash player referenced in the Wiki?

Based on your reply, I suspect there might be - how did you get your feed to play in iTunes? I guess what I am mostly after is a direct link to the streaming audio, if such a thing exists.

nightmicu

Found it! I'm sure I missed it in the Wiki somewhere but I quickly deduced that if there is a mobile version of RadioReference, there must be a way for phones to play it without the use of an app. Sure enough, went through the layers of the mobile site until I found my feed, clicked Listen, and there's the live MP3 file. Perfect!

blinkthing

Why isn't the very same HTML5 that's in the mobile site provided as an optional alternative on the full site? It's literally just an <audio> tag. There really should be an option by now.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

IMHO HTML5 is easier to code than earlier versions; tags are cleaner and recognizing screen sizes with a bit of Javascripr works well. Besides mine, I coded an.ARES site k2eoc.org with the jEdit text editor; people don't have PCs to carry around in the field during emergencies. Flash uses battery resources, whereas using an rstp:// link lets the phone use supplied apps. Problem is there are too many legacy sites that don't play nice in tablets and phones. The CNBC mobile site is a prime example. Very annoying. FWIW I found some Peachpit books a good way to move up to 5 and CSS3 without rehashing the stuff I began learning in 1994... this is a tag... :D

Sorry didn't mean to rant. I hardly ever use a PC any more. The phone and (now) a new tablet are so much more covenient for me.

HTH.

Last edited:

blinkthing

blantonl: in the meantime, can you provide an option to use this very same HTML5 player (Jplayer) on Broadcastify desktop rather than the Flash player?

blinkthing

The lack of full support is why it should be optional. You don't have to replace the Flash player. Keep them both, like you currently do with the various formats/players (Java, Winamp, iTunes, etc). Add "Web (HTML5)" option to the Player Selection dropdown, with a disclaimer that some browsers (only IE, in my testing) may not be supported.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Sorry, didn't mean to start a range war. I see that 3 in 10 Windows PCs still run XP. :)

blinkthing

Update: I just realized that Broadcastify already does use the HTML5 player on the desktop "Web" player option, but only for mobile browsers. So until it's added to desktop, I guess I'll just have to spoof my user agent string.

Status
Not open for further replies.